Who to blame?

chamguy

After viewing tkilgour's thread ( below ), it seems I just had to look into this salt-water thing. That was afew weeks ago.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-red-sea-max-reef-73426/

Now I find my self with a 20 gallon filled with fresh salt-mix of water and awaiting the fog to clear. I think i've been on the edge for years now and after seeing tkilgour's tank, that pushed me over with out realizing it.

Could this be the birth of a new hobby?

lol, a new and very expensive hobby. that would be a gr8 sized tank for a few clown fish. ^^ make shure you read up on what fish get along togehter and post pics when you get it set up!

Are you waiting for sand to settle? Fun tip for the future, if you put sand in an empty tank and then fill it up very slowly (like it flowing through a mist tubing) the sand will no be disturbed, and the water will fill the tank in clear. I played around with aquascaping in fresh water tanks and it took me a while to pick up this trick from someone, but ever since it's worked for any tank that I wanted to add sand to.

live rock will be your best friend, but be warned most of it comes with fireworms in it..do not handle with bare hands, and read up on them. they are not entirely bad, they clean your substrate, but if they get out of hand and throw an epidemic, then can kill your fish...also, coral banded shrimp are amazing and so are emerald crabs..but do not mix the two, idc if the pet store say they can coinhabit, our crab ate our shrimp, period. so mom flushed him haha. and little hermit crabs will be your best friend too, they keep up with tank cleaning but be sure to have extra shells of the right size or theyll kill eachother -.- ive kept a 45 gallon saltwater tank for 6 years :)

Thanks for all the tips! Yes, this hobby seems more expensive than reptiles!!! and I didnt realize that was possible.

My tank consists of-

20 gallon,
7lbs of live rock
10lbs of base rock ( basically ugly live rock)
live sand, arongite sand
Filter hanging off the back- i know not really needed, but provides a current.

The salinity is giving me a hard time. 1.017 at 80F. I'm going to try and turn it down to 76 and see what readings I get. All of the rock was put in this morning, the salt and sand was mixed up and put in last night. The water is still foggy but every hour that passes, it gets better.
I still need a light though. I'll probably get one this week, but for now its not really important for cyceling.(IMO)

Reef Aquariums are highly addictive. Early on you spend tons of dough on them. Once you figure it out. The tank starts to look amazing.

If you need any questions answered please ask I've been at it for 10 years now and lets just say I try to help people not make the same mistakes I did starting remember research research research!
First is my little tank and second is the big tank :p added up over the last 10 years I very well could have had a Ferrari or two lol once again research and feel free to ask question in favi please do and reef tanks is a hobby you get what you pay for if in question about a product always save for the more expensive one as its more than likely the better piece of equipment! HTH

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327202801.427420.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327202801.427420.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 63
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327202874.676723.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327202874.676723.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 59
One thing I'd for sure look into for your system is a quality hang on the back slimmer such as AQUAMAXx and a Rodi unit to purify your water to help prevent future algae outbreaks and headaches!

One thing I'd for sure look into for your system is a quality hang on the back slimmer such as AQUAMAXx and a Rodi unit to purify your water to help prevent future algae outbreaks and headaches!

Very, Very good points made here!!! Take whatcamos advice. RO is so important. Never listen to your local pet store either. Use forums like www.reefcentral.com or www.reefsanctuary.com, to name a few to. Research and learn. I personally favor all in one systems. Like the Red Sea Max 130 and 250. I have both and have done some huge upgrades to them. I love their clean, sleek design. They just limit how many gallons you want. My RSM 250 is only a 66 gallon tank. I would like to have a 100 gallon, but that isn't happening any time soon. lol Also, Whatcamo is so correct about owning a Ferrari. Do not make a ton of mistakes and leave the hobby wishing you saved the money on a Ferrari. I never buy fish from local pet stores either. I always order from companies online that specialize in reef aquariums or from trusted members on a reef forum. Saltwater fish are expensive and you don't want them dying. I have bought some of the best quality corals, inverts, and fish from www.vividaquariums.com. Best of Luck to you and your new hobby!

Very, Very good points made here!!! Take whatcamos advice. RO is so important. Never listen to your local pet store either. Use forums like [B]www.reefcentral.com[/B] or [url]www.reefsanctuary.com[/url], to name a few to. ........................................ I have bought some of the best quality corals, inverts, and fish from [B]www.vividaquariums.com[/B]. Best of Luck to you and your new hobby!

I am already a member of http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/, but thanks for the other references. I always like to be members of several forums to get the best opinion. I've forgotten how many reptile forums I am a memeber to.

yes, I have found that at thereeftank.com, they aren't the friendliest, but can be helpful. Chameleonforums has been the friendliest forum I have ever been a part of, so I guess my standards have been pushed up.

Back
Top Bottom