white crust coming from nose

meganm85

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- ambilobe panther,male,6-7 months, had him a month

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
-almost never

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule?
How are you gut-loading your feeders?
-crickets, 10ish, morning, collared greens water crystals, potato's,carrots

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
-rep cal with d3 twice a month, rep cal w/o d3 weekly (i need to get the rep cal vitamins) then that will be once a month.

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
-mist 2-3 times a day for a minute or two

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
-brown and huge! urates white, never tested

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
-got him in January 09...hatched july 09

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
-screen, 2x2x5,

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
-24" 5.0 uvb reptisun, heat lamp, 6am-6pm

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
-84-86 basking spot, 73 bottom, 63 at night, digital thermometer.

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
-60-70ish, misting live plants, humidity gauge.

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
- umbrella plant.

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
-computer room, no, no, and, no, with the legs its about 6-7 feet tall.well above my head.

* Location - Where are you geographically located?
-eastern pa

Current Problem - white crusty stuff at his nose

no...im in the process of finishing his new enclosure and then getting a mist system for him and my other lil guy....no its not filtered....but wouldnt my other one have the same thing if it was the water?

Ok it also could be over supplementation. But from reading your post it seems to be ok.

If you search for white crust you will find other posts on this issue.

i couldnt get any good pics..

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

Those pictures aren't very clear, but is it shed? Try gently rubbing it with a wet cotton bud and see what happens.

Also, since he is still growing I would dust with calcium without d3 more often. Some people dust almost every meal (lightly of course) even when they are adults. If you use tap water make sure to leave it in an open container for 24 hours before using it.

A breeder I spoke with yesterday said it can also be sign of respiratory infection. If anyone can add to that .. do what pssh said.. My girl has shed around her nose like that too.

Those pictures aren't very clear, but is it shed? Try gently rubbing it with a wet cotton bud and see what happens.

Also, since he is still growing I would dust with calcium without d3 more often. Some people dust almost every meal (lightly of course) even when they are adults. If you use tap water make sure to leave it in an open container for 24 hours before using it.

i dont think it is shed...i do dust (very lightly) everyday w/o d3.....i know i said weekly but i meant everyday....i'll try wiping it off with a q tip....most of it came off of his one nostril already....i just dont understand what is causing it.....i do the same things with Elliot and he is fine....:confused:

In that case, try dusting every other day and see of it stops. Or it could just be salts. Still try dusting every other day for a week or two and see what happens.

I don't know how true it is that it is related to a repritory infection, so maybe some one else will chime in.

It looks like extra supplement. You said you feed him about 10ish feeders a day. Try to dust only half of them with calcium and the other half with none or as pssh said, you could go to every other day. They release extra supplements through their nostrils. Dust lightly, if they end up looking like little ghosts, you went to far. :eek: Up his hydration as well until it improves.

It looks like extra supplement. You said you feed him about 10ish feeders a day. Try to dust only half of them with calcium and the other half with none or as pssh said, you could go to every other day. They release extra supplements through their nostrils. Dust lightly, if they end up looking like little ghosts, you went to far. :eek: Up his hydration as well until it improves.

Good advice as that is what it looks like from the photos

This is a normal, endogenous process that serves to regulate water-electrolyte balance in many reptiles. Most often, chameleons are secreting "salts" out of their nose in an effort to retain water. Bridgofaith's advice is great; to increase hydration and reduce supplementation, if possible.

Drew

Back
Top Bottom