When reptiles get REALLY hungry

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
OK I might have been a day or so late on feeding the monkey frogs...

The intense stare on this guy was a little creepy.

And then a gang formed up in a line to see what goodies I had. The one in front is a little cross-eyed, because no lie, he tried to hit the camera when he saw it (maybe the light looked like a bug?)

Nothing to do with chams but thought you guys might like it.

Attachments

• Stare.jpg
    Stare.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Hungry gang.jpg
    Hungry gang.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 126
I had a pair a long time ago. Both were WC and one didn't last for a very long time...could have been old when I got it or sick and I didn't know it. I was just starting out with critters then.

I hope you have good luck with them!

I had a pair a long time ago. Both were WC and one didn't last for a very long time...could have been old when I got it or sick and I didn't know it. I was just starting out with critters then.

I hope you have good luck with them!
Wild caught have heavy parasite loads and never live very long. Even domestic bred are very challenging, with an unacceptable amount of loss; I am not sure we have totally figured out the husbandry. If I can ever breed them I would love the members here to get some to apply your great skills and scientific approach to see if we can change that!

And then a gang formed up in a line to see what goodies I had. The one in front is a little cross-eyed, because no lie, he tried to hit the camera when he saw it (maybe the light looked like a bug?)
What type of camera? I use a digital SLR (much bigger lens than a smartphone) and since they're in well-lit settings, I'm pretty sure the reptiles catch reflections in the lens. Depending on lens size, I suppose it could happen with a phone as well.

I've also wondered—from their behaviors—if they might think it's an eye of a predator. 🤷‍♂️

What type of camera? I use a digital SLR (much bigger lens than a smartphone) and since they're in well-lit settings, I'm pretty sure the reptiles catch reflections in the lens. Depending on lens size, I suppose it could happen with a phone as well.

I've also wondered—from their behaviors—if they might think it's an eye of a predator. 🤷‍♂️
For this I just used the smartphone, and it was almost totally dark in the room. So there would have been that quick burst of light as it metered the light; which I guess could be interpreted by a frog as "movement". Unlike the chams with their deadly aim, these guys tend to launch themselves with abandon. They do tend to "leap before they look".

OMG I am in love with their little faces... ❤️ I have always loved frogs. The blue phase White tree frogs were a favorite when I was much younger.

Any new pics you can share and updates to any breeding projects?
Just wondering what you would sell them for. Don't see many in the market places.
Thanks for your time.. (y)

Hi redhorse,

They usually sell for $150-175 if you can find them. Aren't you in Socal? Sandfire Dragon Ranch MIGHT have some at the Pomona show in January.

I'd love for you to get some and then we can launch a breeding project! Two heads are better than one. And you would be my go-to tadpole info source.

Pics not new but something to tide you over, as babies and amplexing on Jabba the Hut

I just this AM spoke to a reptile expert in the UK who postulated that perhaps they hydrate like some of the Kenyan chams, bone dry/hot in day, and 100% humidity at night which I am going to research. I do not fog currently.

Either way, all agree to keep them cold and dry all winter, then warm up/feed a ton and rain on
Babies 9 18 on cork.jpg
Portrait Piggyback 6 16.jpg
them in spring. We are now going high 60's in day and low 60's overnight, so I am hoping this will be the year.

They are WAY more likely to amplex during a storm due to barometric pressure changes. But as you know, in early summer is Socal, the odds of this are very low. But being a stupid human I have downloaded a 20 minute audio of a storm at least....

Wow! This is great news.. Didn't know it was happening. Plus a few of my Whites are from trading a few years back with Sandfire. Maybe I can get a froggy discount on a few 🐸🐸🐸s (y) . My tadpole experience is just with whites, african clawed frogs and axolotl eggs to adults (amphibian wise). (y) I just have more time for the hobby so want to expand with knowledge and hands on stuff. Still not sure I want to experience waxies since there are so many things I already like about them (unique to the species). CB is a must for me now a days for many different reasons.
I never get tired of the photos you and others share. JMO- more impressive than looking a stock photos and videos that are 10 years old.
Thanks for all the pics and info..

I'm confused-this seems like a reason to WANT to work with them?

"Still not sure I want to experience waxies since there are so many things I already like about them (unique to the species)."

Anyway if you are game I would love to have a "waxie buddy" and we will stop hijacking this forum :)

Back
Top Bottom