whats the best chameleon for a beginner?

Robert, this is important. You are 15, and sound like a smart kid (cocky, and pretty funny with it too ;)). Do not get Pygmies. Not Pygmies. Pygmies NOT. OK?
Get a Jacksons or a Veiled, since no-one can persuade you not to get a Cham.........Get a male, they are easier and more impressive looking. Stay on this forum, because it has all the info you need, and you can post pictures of your setup, and show off your new pet.......when people get used to you and see good looking pics they will lay off on the arrogant responses to you........
Or, what would really be better is to get a reptile like a young monitor lizard - they can be puppyish and playful if you handle them right, are far easier to keep than a chameleon, and when it grows up and is tamed they are very easy to free range in a bedroom............I don't know if its true for all of them, but they don't ever seem to want to go downstairs.....
Monitors are a very impressive lizard too, and would probably freak your Dad out less (tell him from me that he's being a pussy about the Jacksons horns, lol).

I wanted to second (or is it third or fourth) the suggestion to get a captive born (preferably captive bred) chameleon. Save your money and consider a Fischer's or even a Carpet. They are smaller and beautiful and the Fischer's have amazing tails. Both are available CB.

I've never kept either myself, but sound like good suggestions, too

I don't know if this will help at all, but since your dad apparently is scared of lizards, I thought I'd tell you a short story.

When I was about eight years old, I lived down the street from a pet store. There was a beautiful rosy boa there and I wanted it soooo badly. My mother told me to save up my money. So I did. I saved up the $60 for the snake and enough extra to get the terrarium and decorations, all of that from my tiny allowance. I took a LONG time. I finally had the money, so I went to the pet store. The moment an employee took the snake out my mother suddenly changed her mind. Forget that I had the money. No way was she having a snake in her house.

I've wanted a snake my whole life. Since that time, I've tried off and on every year or so for permission to get myself a snake. I'm 21 now, and living with my father while I finish college. Recently, I wanted a milksnake. I showed my mother a milksnake in-person and even had her hold it. I heard the words "it's actually cute" come out of her mouth. :) I started preparing, thinking this was a sure thing now. I continued my research for a few months, and finally talked to her about it one last time. It turned out that in that time, she had once again decided that no, it was not ok for me to have that snake, no matter that I was using my own money for all of it. She doesn't even live in the same house!

The point is, maybe if your dad is being so iffy about this, you should consider other animals that you would be able to keep in that cage for the time being. If you can't find any, consider other animals and see if you can provide proper home(s) for them.

Trust me, I know how much it sucks to wait (I'm still doing it now!). I've been waiting for as long as I remember to finally get my own snake.

me to but get a veiled

Robert, this is important. You are 15, and sound like a smart kid (cocky, and pretty funny with it too ;)). Do not get Pygmies. Not Pygmies. Pygmies NOT. OK?
Get a Jacksons or a Veiled, since no-one can persuade you not to get a Cham.........Get a male, they are easier and more impressive looking. Stay on this forum, because it has all the info you need, and you can post pictures of your setup, and show off your new pet.......when people get used to you and see good looking pics they will lay off on the arrogant responses to you........
Or, what would really be better is to get a reptile like a young monitor lizard - they can be puppyish and playful if you handle them right, are far easier to keep than a chameleon, and when it grows up and is tamed they are very easy to free range in a bedroom............I don't know if its true for all of them, but they don't ever seem to want to go downstairs.....
Monitors are a very impressive lizard too, and would probably freak your Dad out less (tell him from me that he's being a pussy about the Jacksons horns, lol).
i have to agree, im only 10 and no one wanted me to get a pygmie cham so i got a veiled and im really happy with my choice....:D:D:D

I gotta say either a male Veiled or Panther is the way to go. Veileds are incredibly hardy from what I've heard so that would probably be the starters Chameleon of choice. However, I think a starter Chameleon owner should be an experienced reptile owner. An experienced reptile owner is not someone who has had a bearded dragon.

I've done a few things in my life that made me end up getting George. I had a Senegal for 3-4 years whom was already an adult male (The shop had him for a year) and wild-caught when we bought him. He died (3 years ago) from nothing obvious, he wasn't skinny or dehydrated, presumably it was just his time or a very stealthy parasite. I was confident of getting a captive bred Panther after this, but it didn't stop me researching for the past 3 years. I've had plenty of experience with reptiles since, although not entirely direct, I have helped out at the reptile shop, a few other pet shops and Blackpool zoo. I'm confident my knowledge of reptiles is on par with a lot of peoples, maybe not scientifically, but when it comes to caring for them.

Even then, there are people on here who do know a LOT more than I do. There is always more to learn. The best advice has already been shouted out here plenty, TAKE YOUR TIME. You don't have to jump into getting a Chameleon quickly. There are other rewarding, amazing and easier reptiles you can get for the experience.

Also, Chameleons bite hard. Fairly important note if you get a particularly grumpy one.

fichers chameleons are awsome look into their care it may be a little bit different but i think that they are a good start i had one once and loved it.

Back
Top Bottom