Eye issues post shed (how to ask for help for filled out )

Multivitamins

Chameleon Enthusiast
  • Your Chameleon - Male, furcifer pardalis, hatched late 2018 in my care since 2/13/2019
  • Handling - twice a week give or take, have some free range plants that the chameleon welcomes spending time on while I do maintenance, also like to spend some time in natural sunlight when weather permits.
  • Chameleon seems content in cage not restless or screen climbing
  • Feeding - staple feeders I feed bsfl as well as the flys. They have started breeding in the enclosure so I get a semi consistent supply of flys. Also feed silkworms. I use big burger, cricket crack, fresh veggies. Have spurlina and bee pollen but have not been using it regularly perhaps I should? Silks like carrots and mulberry mix. Any other good options to help gutload worms?
  • I will treat him with and feed off some super worms when I'm waiting for my sills to ship.
I live in an apartment so roaches are a no go and crickets are less than ideal on occasion I will get a 1$ worth of crickets try to gut load a day and feed off outside but this is less common than it used to be (more on this later in location)
  • Supplements - I have arcadia earth pro ca , arcadia earth pro ca MG - no d-3 in either
  • Supervite multi vitamin
  • Have rep-cal calcium w/ d3 and multi vitamin
  • I use arcadia every feeding and once every week or two will use the mg variety
  • D-3 twice a month
  • Multi vitamin twice a month
  • Watering - mist king system R/O water one nozzle in each of front corners, mists at dawn and dusk to get some humidity/ "condensation" then again for only a few seconds mid afternoon to boost humidity (more in plants)
  • Also using a dripper with a valve to control drop speed.
  • Fecal Description - poops seem normal and healthy white urate, had fecal done by local exotic vet.
  • History - sourced from a local breeder father was a chameleon nerds mother from Kammerflage. Has seen the vet semi routine/ regularly fecals and check ups had a previous eye issue from when I had my first set up and used the fake flukers vines. They got debris in his turrets and needed eye irrigated and antibiotic ointment (the fake plastic vines are evil and I recommend real plants and wood)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - customized zoo med 2*2*4 with a foam back wall holding live plants and branches using dragon ledges as well.
  • Lighting - I have a dual fixture t5 with arcadia uvb and a 6500k also have a jungle dawn Led bar (got on sale previous used 2 sansi 70w ) have dome fixture for basking and it's got an adjustment knob to fine tune. Typical once summer comes it's only on for a short time but it's not quite warm enough ambient temp yet
  • I use gosound smart outlets and can set timers and control lights from my phone anytime anywhere highly recommend
  • Temperature - use a sensor push temp and humidity monitor should prob add more / replace my two other cheap ones that have recently burnt out. Normally Basking is 78-82 and overnight low is mid 60s
  • Humidity - humidity max is 90-99 the misters definitely cover most the cage and hit the mister so that could be skewed from post mist but average over a week is 63% I have a mister and dripper and some times hand mist to provide humidity as well as drinking opportunity and tend to water with an adjustable sprayer for hard to reach plants
  • Plants - I have the following plants
  • Rhaphidophora tetrasperma
  • Pothos and more pothos
  • Croton variety with long slim leaves
  • Dracaena reflexa
  • 3 large curly slim tillandsia
  • Nepenthes pitcher plant
  • Hoya pubicalyx
  • Hoya obovata splash?
  • Tillandsia bromeliad "pink quilt"
  • May add more nepenthes they seem to love the conditions
  • Placement - enclosure is in the corner of a room next to a south facing window (no direct light but good ambient and an has east facing window that allows some ambient light. on a small coffee table that brings the top of cage to a heigh of about 6 ft or so I am 6'4 and it's a good hight for me 🤣 the apartment is shared but we are not home much between 12 hour shifts and loving the great outdoors there are not other pets like cats or dogs in the home that would induce stress or prey on him.
  • Location - As they say on our jazz radio station "Dan-Dan-Dan Dandy San Diego where the sweet perfume of the waterfront fills the air " temps and conditions are pretty stable and tolerable for the chameleon no harsh winters and the opportunity to spend time in natural light are afforded to us.
Used to have a yard and outdoor enclosure but had to move into an apartment and lost that. Still use free range ficus alii for him to sunbathe but it doesn't like the sam Diego outdoor sun and seems to be dying. DM me if you know any ways to propagate or take a successful cutting of a ficus Alii t.i.a.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
He's active and seems to eat and drink regularly poops also seem normal.

His tongue function is a little bit off seems like he's just lazy and would rather go to the feeder than shoot it from afar. I feed mainly silks and bsfl so it's fairly stationary prey. Is this normal. He will still hunt for the flys but it's nothing near what he used to. I miss seeing him snipe prey.

My dude also is finishing up a long and seemingly uncomfortable shed.

He has some goop and residual in / near his eye (which is also pretty darn puffy which was the original cause for this post)
The one eye is getting very puffy and I am worried it needs medical intervention.

eye shot and tail curl attached for your review then one that shows the difference in eyes. He also got some silk on him from a worm that day.

The eye has gotten larger / worse in the past few months and I want to see if there are any interventions I can do to help his eye / figure out what's going on before making a vet visit.
20230208_121147.jpg
Screenshot_20230604_124222_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230604_133924_Photos.jpg
20230604_123658.jpg

Can you post a photo of the ingredients in the vitamin powder please!
Multi vitamin supervite
INGREDIENTS: Cellulose Powder and Calcium Carbonate (as carriers), Vitamins: (, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Supplement powder. Contains both Preformed Vitamin A and Beta Carotene.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Vitamin A 200,000 IU/lb, Vitamin D 20,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E 2,000 IU/lb, Vitamin K (Metadione) 30 mg/lb, Vitamin C (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate) 2,500 mg/lb, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCL) 40 mg/lb, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 70 mg/lb, Vitamin B5 (Patothenic Acid) 130 mg/lb, Niacin 450 mg/lb, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) 55 mg/lb, Vitamin B12 .4 mg/lb, Folic Acid 20 mg/lb, Biotin 2 mg/lb, Choline 5,000 mg/lb, Beta Carotene 500 mg/lb.

I mainly use that first one listed from arcadia but I do have another one if this would be better to use repetitive w/o d3

Dicalcium Phosphate, Precipitated Calcium Carbonate, Maltodextrins, Potassium Chloride, Salt, L-Leucine, L-Arginine, L-Lysine, Ascorbic Acid, Magnesium Oxide, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Alanine, L-Glutamine, L-Threonine, L-Phenylalanine, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Bitartrate, L-Tyrosine, Lecithin, L-Cystine, L-Histidine, Glycine, L-Methionine, L-Serine, L-Aspartic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Oxide, Glutamic Acid, Riboflavin, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Kelp, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Cholecalciferol (Source of Vitamin D3).

Guaranteed Analysis
Moisture (max)2.5%
Arginine (min)0.36%
Histidine (min)0.13%
Isoleucine (min)0.26%
Leucine (min)0.44%
Lysine (min)0.36%
Methionine (min)0.12%
Phenylalanine (min)0.23%
Threonine (min)0.24%
Valine (min)0.27%
Calcium (min)25.9%
Calcium (max)29.0%
Phosphorus (min)10.57%
Potassium (min)1.76%
Sodium (min)1.63%
Magnesium (min)0.27%
Iron (min)450 mg/kg
Copper (min)225 mg/kg
Manganese (min)1,000 mg/kg
Zinc (min)450 mg/kg
Iodine (min)2.15 mg/kg
Vitamin A (min)220,264 IU/kg
Vitamin D3 (min)22,907 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min)2,200 IU/kg
Menadione (min)45.0 mg/kg
Thiamine (min)185 mg/kg
Riboflavin (min)275 mg/kg
d-Pantothenic Acid (min)1,900 mg/kg
Niacin (min)670 mg/kg
Pyridoxine (min)67.0 mg/kg
Folic Acid (min)107 mg/kg
Biotin (min)27.0 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 (min)6.7 mg/kg
Choline (min)1,870 mg/kg
Alanine (min)0.24%
Aspartic Acid (min)0.10%
Cystine (min)0.13%
Glutamine (min)0.24%
Glycine (min)0.12%
Serine (min)0.12%
Tyrosine (min)0.18%
Ascorbic Acid (min)3,100 mg/kg

So sorry to hear of the eye shed issue. If the shed is interferring with vision, the cham will get a bit more aggressive on getting it off by rubbing it against vines and sticks. You can see the increased chance of injury. Which is what i think may have happened to your cham. Now i have a female panther that got her eye lids burned to the point one was black after being left out in the sun to die. accodring to the vet, she will always have issues with them. But i have learned a few things. If you can get your cham to actually drink water, the eye will puff out on its own and help detach stuck shed. If the stuck shed is due to previous or current injury it will take longer to detach because tissue underneath it needs more time to form/heal. do not "help" unless your cham is trying to get it off himself. Then use the softess qtip you can find and keep it dry. Do not use pressure! I think you need a vet visit as i think there is an injury to the edge of the lid and may need an ointment to promote healing and prevent infection. Best of luck to you both.

Hey hun... Supervite is overkill. I would stop using that one and the calcium with D3. Get Repashy calcium plus LOD version. Use this two times a month only. OR use the calcium with D3 and your reptivite without D3. Rotate these two week to week at one feeding so that they are each only given 2 times a month.

Use of the Earthpro supplements is fine they are all water soluble vitamins and plain calcium without D3.

I would see a good reptile vet for the eye. Looks like he has an infection going on especially with it oozing.

Have you noticed a weight drop? I mention this because is casque is a bit concave. If there is an infection in the body this could be contributing to weight loss. But he is also almost 5 years old so he could have something else going on internally.

Everything else in husbandry looks spot on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom