whats the best chameleon for a beginner?

No offense but if you want a lizard that enjoys contact doesnt bite and is hardy/easier to care for. BEARDED DRAGONS! They are the pet dog of the lizard hobby. It doesnt sound like your ready for a cham. They are a look dont touch pet for the most part. I think you'd enjoy and get more out of a bearded at this stage than you would a cham. JMO as a long time keeper.

Here's a picture of my cham in comparison to my hand and my head, in case it helps. He's around 18" long. They probably aren't as big as your dad is imagining.

I do also agree that you may be happier with a bearded dragon. They're pretty curious, adorable, and sometimes even seek out your attention.

Attachments

• napoleon.jpg
    napoleon.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 214
This past june I got my first chameleon. I chose a panther chameleon as my first. It has been an amazing experience but I researched the species for a long time before purchasing him. You have to know everything there is to know about the species before you purchase one. This is by far the most expensive pet I have ever owned. My panther is more "needy" than toddlers.
I wouldnt recomend a chameleon till you are 120% ready and understand there is always going to be a chance of being bitten, and big or small chances are it will hurt at least a little and scare the crap out of you the first time and you should never have any sort of reaction that could potentially harm it or kill it.

This past june I got my first chameleon. I chose a panther chameleon as my first. It has been an amazing experience but I researched the species for a long time before purchasing him. You have to know everything there is to know about the species before you purchase one. This is by far the most expensive pet I have ever owned. My panther is more "needy" than toddlers.
I wouldnt recomend a chameleon till you are 120% ready and understand there is always going to be a chance of being bitten, and big or small chances are it will hurt at least a little and scare the crap out of you the first time and you should never have any sort of reaction that could potentially harm it or kill it.
Absolutely agreed. Most chamelens won´t forgive you any mistakes and may die very easily. Please don´t be arrogant and purchase a chameleon carelessly.
Believe me, with your current knowledge you WILL regret it fewer or later.

Maybe look into leopard geckos, I know from experience that bearded dragons bite hard.

Any animal can bite. A bearded is a much more forgiving animal than a cham and most of the beardeds Ive seen are very handleable. If you buy from a reputable breeder most are already hand tame. And if you ask them they will pick out the least aggressive of the clutch for you since your a beginner.

You know... As much advice as we would like to give to the OP, he is going to get whatever Cham he wants anyway. Sad... Just hope he really does understand what he will be getting himself into and does full on research. :rolleyes: If and whe you do decide what Cham you go for, please come back and ask more questions, we don't want the Cham to suffer because of your decision making. Good luck!

Well iv read everything on Internet that had to do with them and I researched the areas they are from and the weather their ain't alot different from the jacksons chameleon. Altho I think I'll get a pair of pygmies to get some exsperience!!

Hey buddy,
based on your statements i can guarantee you don´t know much about chameleons at all.
Pygmy´s are not suited for beginners, they need a very low night temperature and are one of the most sensitive species refering to lighting, temperature and stress.

Pygmies have a completely different setup and needs...personally I think you should wait to buy a chameleon until you can get something you want instead of just going with what you are allowed to have.

You should consider a bearded dragon or some small lizard, not a chameleon. They take a lot of time and hard work, your schedule has to revolve around them or you'll have a dead cham. I've re-worked my whole schedule around them and money, there are days I won't go out to buy lunch just because I've to buy crickets...it takes a lot more time and effort. If you aren't willing to give up your time and would "backhand" an animal that'd bite you...get a pet rock.

Well iv read everything on Internet that had to do with them and I researched the areas they are from and the weather their ain't alot different from the jacksons chameleon. Altho I think I'll get a pair of pygmies to get some exsperience!!

WOW! I typed Chameleon in the Google search box and about 68,000,000 results turned up! And you have read everything on the internet about them? Look, most of these people on here only want the best for Chams and they have experience with them as well. Stop being a know it all kid, and try to listen to adults for a change. Does your dad even realize how much money he is going to have to put into this, because if you have an allowance, that sure isnt going to cover the expenses. Want my advice? Get a $20 Iguana.

Yeah I use to have a beared dragon his name was spike he was 2when I got him from my friend I had him till he was 7-8 but than I moved to my dads and had to give him away! And I also have green anoles which r low maintnece but they r so freaking fast so I wanna get rid of them cuz they get out every month when I clean and reorganize the cage. I have been reading alot about chams and their r only a handful I'm aloud to get I have the basics but I can't b sure of anything untill I know what I'm getting I'll post on here once I get the cage 100% finished so people can make recommendations. Another thing is every single one of u were once inexperienced like me so don't act like I'm a bad person who's ganna put the animal threw hell. The whole reason joined this site was to learn more about these animals and like I said I bn researching since around x-mas! I also go to the petstore and watch the chams when I can!!

Iguanas r more expensive than chams in the long run plus my sister Bobby has one at my moms. and I have money for this saved plus I do construction with my dad I have enough money to invest in chams I just don't wanna go all out with money until I get more experience!

I´d also recommend that you begin with some other, easier kept reptile to gather some experience first. i´ll tell you once again that with your current knowledge you WILL NOT BE ABLED to keep a chameleon PROPERLY.
Please don´t make one die because you can´t wait to get one.

I agree with everyone's suggestions, but don't be so quick to give up on chameleons though. These are quiet fragile, and do take a lot of research and commitment. For every species I've ever owned I've probably done at least a week's worth of research BEFORE I got it. Then after I purchase them, I do even more research. I constantly read more and more about not just the species I have, but also the species I think I may work with in the future. Generally, Veileds, Panthers, and Jacksons are suggested for first timers. Personally I started with a Veiled, but thats just me. If you think a Male Veiled will be too large, so will a Panther male. But, you are already building a large enough cage for either species to be in as an adult. That being said, it seems like you may be wanting a handable reptile, why not a bearded dragon or leopard gecko like mentioned before? Also said earlier, they both make good first time pets, and handle well. They also are more forgiving to husbandry issues.

LPR08

And I also have green anoles which r low maintnece but they r so freaking fast so I wanna get rid of them cuz they get out every month when I clean and reorganize the cage. I have been reading alot about chams and their r only a handful I'm aloud to get I have the basics but I can't b sure of anything untill I know what I'm getting I'll post on here once I get the cage 100% finished so people can make recommendations. Another thing is every single one of u were once inexperienced like me so don't act like I'm a bad person who's ganna put the animal threw hell. The whole reason joined this site was to learn more about these animals and like I said I bn researching since around x-mas! I also go to the petstore and watch the chams when I can!!

So you're going to get "rid" of your anoles because you aren't capable of caring for them correctly so they don't escape :confused::confused: What will happen when your chameleon escapes? Are you going to get rid of him too? When you buy an animal it is a long term committment. You shouldn't have a pet then.

Yes, everyone was once inexperienced but also took well to recommendations which you clearly are not doing. Do you realize how much this will be costing you? It's definitely not a cheap hobby.

P.S.
noboby´s calling you a bad person, we just want to make you realize that you need more time and effort to be able to adequately keep a chameleon, which anyone around here once needed, otherwise they had painful experiences due to not taking their time.
Point out, which species you´d like to have most, buy a (or better several) recommended books on this species, make a plan for how to keep it yourself, then open a new thread so we can tell you if there´s anything wrong.
Don´t build the cage before you´re told it´s fine the way you want to do it or you may have to throw it away which you surely do not want.
I don´t think you´re taking this serious enough, there are many very experienced keepers around here, please take their advice, they know what they´re doing.
P:S: Panthers usually get used to their owner very well if you treat them right and don´t stress him.
They even crawl onto your arm after some time if you´re lucky and respectful

i have a question? earlier the OP stated that he claims the elloits chams has similar care to a jackson....

in all due respect to the OP, Why not consider getting a JAcksons chameleon? they are within the beginner range with veileds and panthers, and are almost as common. im sure with another proper research of them here and finding someone that breeds them or has healthy ones you can find

the reason everyone is sorta against you for getting a harder to care cham is not that you cant handle it BUT also that you wont waist your dads money for a dead animal in a few weeks if not days...

jacksons are not as aggressive they are smaller and within beginner range

maybe even a K. mulituberlacata if my friend Seeco is willing to help you:p

lol take it one step at a time man

hope for the best man

Zillaman,
Take a step back. Understand that by what you've said so far, you come off as a spoiled, arrogant kid. And I'm hoping this is a terrible first impression, that in person you're a great guy. We as a forum are MORE than happy to be here and help you with any and all your questions, but you have to understand that we see horror stories all day long on here. Of people that got a chameleon as an impulse and didn't bother to take our advice. So when we think someone is going to go down that road, we get edgy and defensive because we love chameleons.

So please, for your sake and that of any pet you want to get, let us give you advice. Be more humble about what you don't know yet (because hell, I've been a keeper for 2 years and I still don't know everything) and be receptive to what we're recommending. It's great that you're doing research, I really commend you for it, but you still have a ways to learn.

Ok? Can we all try to be less defensive and see if we can't point this young man towards a pet he can take care of properly?

Back
Top Bottom