What type of live plants

stephenr

I read a few post about live plants versus fake plants. I thought live would be a better option for misting the cage because the pot a the bottom would help collect water. What kinds do you recommend and where can I learn more?

We haven't gotten our Chameleon yet as it's our first one and I want to set up the cage. Then test run it first before putting a live Chameleon in there.

We'll be getting a Veiled Chameleon eventually after setting the living quarters up properly.

Thank you,

Stephen & Elaina P9040002.JPG P9040004.JPG

There are a variety of readily available plants that are suited for chameleons enclosures.
Ficus benjamina, and the Hawaiian scheflera are the easiest to come by as plants with stems that are thick and woody.
Pothos, palms, crotons, and draceanas are all easy to care for. Just don't let them dry out and be sure they have bright light.
An LED with uvb and basking lights will be good.

I've read in previous threads that crotons can irrate a chameleons mouth if said chameleon bites the leaves. I personally don't know if this is true or not, I'm just telling you what I've read. I'm sure someone more experience will help you out

Shiflera are a little harder to take care of as they should be dried out between waterings. They also are toxic to mammals... cats in particular. Ficus do have an irritating sap. I've used both but pothos are probably my favorite. Easy as cake and non toxic.

As a person that has studied plants for 40 years, and as a person who has written many articles on the subject of botany for magazines I do not believe I need anyone's help on the subject. Thank you very much! I take your comment as an insult. When you find someone as well qualified and as well published as I am in the field of botany let me know.

There are a variety of readily available plants that are suited for chameleons enclosures.
Ficus benjamina, and the Hawaiian scheflera are the easiest to come by as plants with stems that are thick and woody.
Pothos, palms, crotons, and draceanas are all easy to care for. Just don't let them dry out and be sure they have bright light.
An LED with uvb and basking lights will be good.
I read a few post about live plants versus fake plants. I thought live would be a better option for misting the cage because the pot a the bottom would help collect water. What kinds do you recommend and where can I learn more?

We haven't gotten our Chameleon yet as it's our first one and I want to set up the cage. Then test run it first before putting a live Chameleon in there.

We'll be getting a Veiled Chameleon eventually after setting the living quarters up properly.

Thank you,

Stephen & ElainaView attachment 189884 View attachment 189885
Plants like Pothos, Ficas, Hibiscus and spider and Schefflers the Arboricola variety is popular. The Draceanas IS poisonous for cats and dogs. My opinion is if it's poisonous for other animals don't uses them, why take a chance. You can find safe plants on this website I believe. I googled it on the internet. And as for plastic plants go... uses some but live and more is best

Thank you,

Thank you,

Stephen & ElainaView attachment 189884 View attachment 189885[/

Thank you,

@Leo Chance The person was suggesting something he saw. holy hell, this is what's wrong with people on these kinds of forums. Nowhere did he insult you, how is he supposed to know your pointless background? Exact qoute said they were not sure if this is true or not and they saw it mentioned somewhere. And btw your studies with plants mean almost nothing when it comes to reptiles, many plants can be very toxic towards some animals while being harmless to others. We see veiled on here chew up pothos all day without issue even though they apparently have oxalate crystals. I agree crotons should be fine, but their post had nothing wrong with it. Stop being an uptight ass for no reason

Plants like Pothos, Ficas, Hibiscus and spider and Schefflers the Arboricola variety is popular. The Draceanas IS poisonous for cats and dogs. My opinion is if it's poisonous for other animals don't uses them, why take a chance. You can find safe plants on this website I believe. I googled it on the internet. And as for plastic plants go... uses some but live and more is best
@Leo Chance The person was suggesting something he saw. holy hell, this is what's wrong with people on these kinds of forums. Nowhere did he insult you, how is he supposed to know your pointless background? Exact qoute said they were not sure if this is true or not and they saw it mentioned somewhere. And btw your studies with plants mean almost nothing when it comes to reptiles, many plants can be very toxic towards some animals while being harmless to others. We see veiled on here chew up pothos all day without issue even though they apparently have oxalate crystals. I agree crotons should be fine, but their post had nothing wrong with it. Stop being an uptight ass for no reason
When I am told to find someone that has more botanical experience than myself I find that to be insulting. How does this person have any idea of how much experience I have with plants or chameleons? I was not invited as guest lecturer to MO & Denver Botanic Gardens because I have no knowledge of botany. If anyone is interested they might check the list from LLLReptile, (a sight sponsor). They list list Dracaena & crotons as safe plants for terrarium animals. "I read somewhere" is not the type of reference that trumps my years of study.

He was referring to the OP, at least I read it as that. Why would you need helped out? You're not the one asking a question. It was a bit incessant, and may have came off that way.

He was referring to the OP, at least I read it as that. Why would you need helped out? You're not the one asking a question. It was a bit incessant, and may have came off that way.
What he said to the OP is that they should look for someone with more experience without any idea of the amount of experience I have. When you jump to the conclusion that someone is without knowledge or experience you are flat right out being insulting. I have worked long and hard to obtain the knowledge that I have about plant-life and I am quite proud of my reputation as an author and a lecturer on botanical subjects.

you can be proud, but it's coming off a little weak(to put it nicely), with how you're freaking out demanding respect for something none of us are or could be aware of. Do you act like this in person?

you can be proud, but it's coming off a little weak(to put it nicely), with how you're freaking out demanding respect for something none of us are or could be aware of. Do you act like this in person?
You hit the nail on the head. I feel insulted because this person did not know anything about me, but he assumed I didn't know what I am talking about. If a person assumes the worst of anyone without reason it is insulting. Yes, if someone tries to say I don't know what I am talking about I am just as insulted in person as I am now, even if you want to call me weak.

Thank you for the input!

They're impossible to kill. If you even throw a clipping in your yard they'll root to the ground lol it's crazy. They grow veryyy fast too.

Back
Top Bottom