What type of live plants

They're impossible to kill. If you even throw a clipping in your yard they'll root to the ground lol it's crazy. They grow veryyy fast too.

We are looking to do a dinosaur theme, it's for me and my 9-year-old daughter so I'll be decorating it in Jurassic park theme. What about a combo of the Wander Jewel and Croton? My daughter likes the blue picture you have there.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delray-Plants-8-3-4-in-Croton-Red-Mammey-in-Pot-10CROTONMAMMEY/203380912

http://www.homedepot.com/s/plants%20wandering%20jewel?NCNI-5

Add a few velociraptors for me!

upload_2017-9-5_18-47-16.png
upload_2017-9-5_18-47-37.png
upload_2017-9-5_18-48-55.png

I use both of those that's a great idea, I would just make sure there's a large plant(buy a big croton if you can?) That'll make a good center piece/hiding spot.

I use both of those that's a great idea, I would just make sure there's a large plant(buy a big croton if you can?) That'll make a good center piece/hiding spot.

You think the roots would crowd each other to much if I transplanted them into the same pot? I was going to skirt it with some camaflouge, I know chameleon won't go to the floor but I want to make it simpiler to clean but camaflouge the area to keep it visually pleasing. I'll post some photo's as we go so you ge the idea.

You can use substrate, just make it "bioactive". The roots depend on the pot space. I plant all of my plants directly into the bottom of the floor and so far haven't had an issue. Chameleons do go to the bottom at times, but not very often.

I read a few post about live plants versus fake plants. I thought live would be a better option for misting the cage because the pot a the bottom would help collect water. What kinds do you recommend and where can I learn more?

We haven't gotten our Chameleon yet as it's our first one and I want to set up the cage. Then test run it first before putting a live Chameleon in there.

We'll be getting a Veiled Chameleon eventually after setting the living quarters up properly.

Thank you,

Stephen & ElainaView attachment 189884 View attachment 189885

I read a few post about live plants versus fake plants. I thought live would be a better option for misting the cage because the pot a the bottom would help collect water. What kinds do you recommend and where can I learn more?

We haven't gotten our Chameleon yet as it's our first one and I want to set up the cage. Then test run it first before putting a live Chameleon in there.

We'll be getting a Veiled Chameleon eventually after setting the living quarters up properly.

Thank you,

Stephen & ElainaView attachment 189884 View attachment 189885
I suggest a drip pan u can always drill a hole and drain into a 5 gal bucket. The real plants also keep humidity up. I enclosed the back with a thin rubber material found in walmart used for cabinet drawers. Everyone's different my place has central ac and enclosing one side helped me. Good luck.

I suggest a drip pan u can always drill a hole and drain into a 5 gal bucket. The real plants also keep humidity up. I enclosed the back with a thin rubber material found in walmart used for cabinet drawers. Everyone's different my place has central ac and enclosing one side helped me. Good luck.
As of right now I have a tray on the bottom. My husband bought me one of those 5 gallon containers . You know those shop vac's ? Well they make them now that fits on the the 5 gallon bucket. It just takes seconds to suck up the water that's laying in the tray. And the unit is small . It's called something Head? Sorry I can't remember the name. It works great and it's cheap for now .

IMG_1456.JPG IMG_1459.JPG
As of right now I have a tray on the bottom. My husband bought me one of those 5 gallon containers . You know those shop vac's ? Well they make them now that fits on the the 5 gallon bucket. It just takes seconds to suck up the water that's laying in the tray. And the unit is small . It's called something Head? Sorry I can't remember the name. It works great and it's cheap for now .
ficus umbrella there is a list on this site. You have to go with what u can find in your area. But get the list. Google it there are many to choose from I went with the list the people at the nursery helped find the right plant but right size. I have the medium cage.

You can use substrate, just make it "bioactive". The roots depend on the pot space. I plant all of my plants directly into the bottom of the floor and so far haven't had an issue. Chameleons do go to the bottom at times, but not very often.

Do you have a few photo's you could share, please?

Hope that helps. Also people differ on using substrate I use it it also holds moisture and the plants obsorb the water so if u use a drip pan which is like a tub u don't have to drain just clean it or replace it. Be careful do research they can eat it and '
die. Also cover the organic dirt in your plants with large rocks to stop him from eating dirt.

Good tips, thank you!

They can eat dirt that's more of a myth that's been passed around due to unhealthy chams eating chunks while dehdrayted, leading to impacting. Fine particles shouldn't kill your Cham if all is in order. It's like with people, you could pick up a mouthful of dirt and eat it, you'd most likely be 100% Fine. Now do that while severely ill, dehydrated, and filled with parasites and you might have a problem. Mainly look out for rocks, chunks of perlite, etc that can cause choking/blockages.

If you use substrate(which I prefer) just do some research on bioactivity. It's not difficult, saves time on cleaning, and is more beneficial than barebottom if done correctly. That's not to say people can't and haven't been keeping chams for years and years barebottom, but from my experience good substrate helps a Cham thrive

Attachments

• 20170728_132344.jpg
    20170728_132344.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 88
There are a variety of readily available plants that are suited for chameleons enclosures.
Ficus benjamina, and the Hawaiian scheflera are the easiest to come by as plants with stems that are thick and woody.
Pothos, palms, crotons, and draceanas are all easy to care for. Just don't let them dry out and be sure they have bright light.
An LED with uvb and basking lights will be good.
Eventho I do have a couple of em I don't like Ficus Benjamina a whole lot...
They are very sensitive to being moved around and to large doses of water and tend to drop a lot of leaves because of that.
Also the milky juice that comes out of em is toxic, or so I've read, which may not make them ideal for people with Veilds...
They also grew straight trough the aluminium screening of my enclosures.

I do love Photos and the schefflera eventho my photos got wet roots and half of it died off

Back
Top Bottom