What sponsors to buy from

Yes, they eat meat (i.e. eats the dead bodies). Just make sure whatever bin you put them in is thick enough for them not to chew through if it’s plastic. I also wouldn’t put a ton in because I did it once and they ate the entire roach colony in there!
There’s two in each container since I bought 100 is it ok if I take them out? I’m going to transfer the roaches into different containers but one of them is flying a lot and I’m scared 😆

There’s two in each container since I bought 100 is it ok if I take them out? I’m going to transfer the roaches into different containers but one of them is flying a lot and I’m scared 😆
They fly when it’s hot enough. Two is fine for your order amount. If they start getting out of control or you don’t want them, freeze them and throw them away after. I personally don’t like to use them anymore because of the incident, just buffalo beetles and larvae for the CUC in my bins. If I do use them, I only put one in each bin so they can’t reproduce.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing cause they’re not legal since they’re invasive (perfect climate and all), but when I first read it I only saw the cricket part 😆 my mind plays tricks on me
I guess it does. Crickets weren't mentioned in the post I responded to. ;):LOL:

I have a question so my cham just ate one of her hibiscus leaves and she ate one of the flowers but it wasn’t bloomed yet is it ok? @Beman @kinyonga
I know they can eat the flowers and leaves but the flower wasn’t bloomed yet.

I got my silkworms today and they all look alive. I turned over the cups but I was hesitant because I felt like they were gonna fall to the bottom. The poop is falling and some of it’s on the chow. Do you recommend I move them or keep them in the pods? How do I clean I know you have to sterilize everything but what do you guys recommend I do. A couple worms have chow and poop on them too. They’re all pretty much on the netting. @ERKleRose @Beman @kinyonga

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I got my silkworms today and they all look alive. I turned over the cups but I was hesitant because I felt like they were gonna fall to the bottom. The poop is falling and some of it’s on the chow. Do you recommend I move them or keep them in the pods? How do I clean I know you have to sterilize everything but what do you guys recommend I do. A couple worms have chow and poop on them too. They’re all pretty much on the netting. @ERKleRose @Beman @kinyonga
I’m not a fan of keeping them in the deli cups. This is what I do...plastic shoe tote. Just got these today and many are very small. They tend to fall thru the gutter guard so I also have some chow on the bottom for them. As they get bigger I’ll add a bigger piece of gutter guard & put the food on it. I clean things out daily to every other day, depending on how much they poop. I usually try to put in just enough chow for a day or 2 at a time...put too much in today.
BA197E19-A8A8-4BD1-ADC0-934640AE6567.jpeg

I’m not a fan of keeping them in the deli cups. This is what I do...plastic shoe tote. Just got these today and many are very small. They tend to fall thru the gutter guard so I also have some chow on the bottom for them. As they get bigger I’ll add a bigger piece of gutter guard & put the food on it. I clean things out daily to every other day, depending on how much they poop. I usually try to put in just enough chow for a day or 2 at a time...put too much in today.
View attachment 291490
I’ll do this tomorrow morning thanks. The chow is falling from the top so I put the deli cup side ways because it would fall if it was upside down, is that ok? Do I just scoop up the chow the pod came with and use that? Also how do you clean?

I’ll do this tomorrow morning thanks. The chow is falling from the top so I put the deli cup side ways because it would fall if it was upside down, is that ok? Do I just scoop up the chow the pod came with and use that? Also how do you clean?
I currently have my last batch of silkies entering their cocoon stage, so still have the chow I made for them. I clean by changing out the paper towel and food, sometimes putting in a new piece of gutter guard if the old one gets nasty. I probably make it harder than I have to with what I do. Times when I’ve kept and used the cup they came with, I’ve emptied out the frass and loose debris and then kept the cup in it’s side. The times I’ve tried just keeping it upside down, the worms fall to the bottom, don’t climb up to the food and just die.
The batch I received today, using the cup they came in wasn’t an option. All the food had broken up and was loose, mixed in with poop and dead silkies.

Yeah I keep mine the exact same way as @MissSkittles when they are that size... When they are itty bitty I will leave them in the cup and just hit the cup so the poop falls to the lid and take that off and dump it. Same thing I do with cleaning horns. But once they get passed the 1 inch size moving them is easier.

FYI you can slow growth by not giving food for 24 hours at a time too.

Back
Top Bottom