What species of spiders are healthy for your cham?

There may be obligatory insect/chameleon hosts of parasites in the tropics. There are none in temperate zones that I am aware of.
I suspect that various bacteria and fungi that are pathogenic to chameleons can be picked up from diseased insects. These diseases may occur in both wild and captive insects. I cant prove it, but I think one of m y chams developed mouth rot after feeding on crickets purchased from a commercial source.

Reactions: iMi
Why would you want to feed a Cham a venomous spider?.. just curious.. like why? Lol
I believe that all spiders are venomous. In most cases, not enough to be dangerous to humans, but who knows about chameleons. I'll bet they do eat spiders in the wild, though.

All spiders feed by injecting enzymes into their prey. Then they swallow the resulting fluid.
I have fed large orb weaving spiders to quads, and had no problems.
I know of no instances oif spiders carrying parasites that have reptiles as intermediate hosts.
Its highly unlikely that your spider was contaminated with insecticide, or it would be dead.
I have a light trap that captures moths and other night-flying insects. This is a major source of cham food during the summer.
I see a lot of comments about field chemicals. What is the source of this information?

I like the idea of a light trap. I had anoles when I was a kid, and we used to go housefly hunting together. The anole would perch on my finger and we'd sneak up on the fly. But in one case my lizard died suddenly the night after eating a fly, so since then I've been worried about pesticides etc. You have a good point that any spider or insect that had encountered a pesticide would probably be dead.

All spiders feed by injecting enzymes into their prey. Then they swallow the resulting fluid.
I have fed large orb weaving spiders to quads, and had no problems.
I know of no instances oif spiders carrying parasites that have reptiles as intermediate hosts.
Its highly unlikely that your spider was contaminated with insecticide, or it would be dead.
I have a light trap that captures moths and other night-flying insects. This is a major source of cham food during the summer.
I see a lot of comments about field chemicals. What is the source of this information?
Finally! A fellow “light trapper!” What kind of traps you running? Black light or HPS?

My chams eat bees all the time. What do you think they're eating in the wild? Most things they come across probably have some sort of defense mechanism plant and insect.

Back
Top Bottom