What should I decorate the cage with?

@MissSkittles
I thought I’d move my light questions to my own question thread. I ordered some other lights but they won’t get here until Tuesday at the least.
So I was wondering if these would be suitable until then? And how far away should the basking branch be if it is suitable? View attachment 320940View attachment 320941
Those bulbs look ok, but not sure what temps 40w will give. The distance between basking area and lights is based upon what type and strength uvb you are using. If you’re using a linear T5 with a 5.0 or 6% strength uvb, the distance should be about 8-9”. Then we have to figure out what strength basking bulb will give us the ideal temp of 80f. It can vary by your ambient/room temps and some other factors, so there is no standard strength to use. I‘ve found 60w is perfect for my girls’ enclosures and this is generally a good wattage to start at and see what temp it gives you.

Those bulbs look ok, but not sure what temps 40w will give. The distance between basking area and lights is based upon what type and strength uvb you are using. If you’re using a linear T5 with a 5.0 or 6% strength uvb, the distance should be about 8-9”. Then we have to figure out what strength basking bulb will give us the ideal temp of 80f. It can vary by your ambient/room temps and some other factors, so there is no standard strength to use. I‘ve found 60w is perfect for my girls’ enclosures and this is generally a good wattage to start at and see what temp it gives you.
I ended up ordering the 60w bulbs I asked about earlier and a 6% UVB

I ended up ordering the 60w bulbs I asked about earlier and a 6% UVB
Perfect! If she’s still in the small enclosure it would be better to hang the lights a few inches above the top to provide her with a bit more space. It also will prevent the possibility of burns if she’s a screen top walker.

Perfect! If she’s still in the small enclosure it would be better to hang the lights a few inches above the top to provide her with a bit more space. It also will prevent the possibility of burns if she’s a screen top walker.
What would be the best thing to hang them from?

Like this? Should I worry about the lights burning the basket?
A2A3628C-7D93-4F64-A72E-42DAD74539B2.jpeg

Like this? Should I worry about the lights burning the basket?View attachment 320955
If it’s a wire basket, it should be fine. I use shorter plastic or rubber coated ones to prop the uvb on and plain wire for the basking light. I initially was using 2 of the round plain wire baskets to prop up the basking light, but when I moved my girl into her big girl enclosure it was easier to clamp it to the plant light and just have it propped on one basket. The single dome I have does not fit nicely in or on the round basket. Hard to take pics as I’m only 5’ tall and my enclosures are only about a foot down from the ceiling.
53E5AB3E-D32E-459D-A76E-E4167F8D1B8C.jpeg
CC7CA20E-59C1-4F94-85BA-3C4D6EABFEE8.jpeg

Since my sweet little screen top climber was wondering what I was doing, you get a pic of her too.
F0904436-C2C2-4A35-A4A1-A3B7102A535B.jpeg

If it’s a wire basket, it should be fine. I use shorter plastic or rubber coated ones to prop the uvb on and plain wire for the basking light. I initially was using 2 of the round plain wire baskets to prop up the basking light, but when I moved my girl into her big girl enclosure it was easier to clamp it to the plant light and just have it propped on one basket. The single dome I have does not fit nicely in or on the round basket. Hard to take pics as I’m only 5’ tall and my enclosures are only about a foot down from the ceiling.
View attachment 320969View attachment 320970
Since my sweet little screen top climber was wondering what I was doing, you get a pic of her too.
View attachment 320971
Thanks for the visual!!!! Ur girl is so cute!

So I'm making a list of things that will improve the cage of the chameleon im looking after.
Im not sure if plants or fake plants are the best, I would like to get fake plants as they might be cheaper and I don't have to worry about killing then but I would like to get your opinions what what I should get?
Im also curious what the best way to provide water?
does this set up work?
https://www.climist.com/cyclone-misting-system.html
Here's a cage Im considering getting if i keep the chameleon.
https://dragonstrand.com/product/tall-hybrid-chameleon-cage-system/
So I'm making a list of things that will improve the cage of the chameleon im looking after.
Im not sure if plants or fake plants are the best, I would like to get fake plants as they might be cheaper and I don't have to worry about killing then but I would like to get your opinions what what I should get?
Im also curious what the best way to provide water?
does this set up work?
https://www.climist.com/cyclone-misting-system.html
Here's a cage Im considering getting if i keep the chameleon.
https://dragonstrand.com/product/tall-hybrid-chameleon-cage-system/
If you’re getting a veiled cham, don’t put fake plants, since veiled chams can mistake the fake leaves as real leaves. Because veileds also enjoy eating plants, fake plants arent the best idea.

If you’re getting a veiled cham, don’t put fake plants, since veiled chams can mistake the fake leaves as real leaves. Because veileds also enjoy eating plants, fake plants arent the best idea.
Yep :) already planned out what I'm going to buy and started to grow some clippings.

Also I was wondering, Nachito had been going down to the bottom of the cage abit. I just got a nesting box and am ordering the right material for the inside. Could this be a sign she wants to lay eggs?
Certainly possible. The older she is/gets than 6 months, the greater the likelihood. You should also be able to tell by looks & (gently) palpating for eggs.

@MissSkittles
I thought I’d move my light questions to my own question thread. I ordered some other lights but they won’t get here until Tuesday at the least.
So I was wondering if these would be suitable until then? And how far away should the basking branch be if it is suitable?
Probably not. Those are decorative lights. I can't see the part of the packaging that indicates the socket size, but to fit a standard light bulb socket (like a clamp light) you want an E26 or E27.
https://partylights.com/bulb-socket-guide.

There is no standard distance; there are too many variables. Distance, type & strength of bulb are always trial & error.
If the basking site is too warm, raise the bulb or lower the wattage.
If the basking site is too cold, lower the bulb or raise the wattage.
I usually start with 75W incandescent or incandescent flood and go from there.

Certainly possible. The older she is/gets than 6 months, the greater the likelihood. You should also be able to tell by looks & (gently) palpating for eggs.
I originally thought she was like 5ish months old, but i'm not sure now. What's the most accurate by to tell her age? She was adopted sometime in October.

I originally thought she was like 5ish months old, but i'm not sure now. What's the most accurate by to tell her age? She was adopted sometime in October.
Asking the breeder (not necessarily the seller or pet shop), assuming they're candid about it (and not selling them too young).

If that's not possible/practical, I'd post a pic (new thread in General entitled something like, "How old do I look?" with the chameleon sitting on a ruler or dowel marked off in inches, with tail extended as best possible.

If there's another/better way, I'm all for learning something new today.

If she was (the recommended) 3 months when adopted, she would have been born in June, which would make her ~9 months.

At any rate, she's probably gravid now and looking for a place...

Asking the breeder (not necessarily the seller or pet shop), assuming they're candid about it (and not selling them too young).

If that's not possible/practical, I'd post a pic (new thread in General entitled something like, "How old do I look?" with the chameleon sitting on a ruler or dowel marked off in inches, with tail extended as best possible.

If there's another/better way, I'm all for learning something new today.

If she was (the recommended) 3 months when adopted, she would have been born in June, which would make her ~9 months.

At any rate, she's probably gravid now and looking for a place...
Ok thank you! ill do that when I get home. Another thing I tried to feed her this morning but she didn't take any crickets, so I jet let them loose in her cage. I thought maybe it could be because I got her vitamins and dusted the crickets in it, and maybe she was confused cause of the white color. I'm trying to get on a feeding schedule of three cricket every few days but I don't want to like suddenly change the schedule. What would you recommend, im worried she isnt finding the crickets if they are loose in the cage.

Ok thank you! ill do that when I get home. Another thing I tried to feed her this morning but she didn't take any crickets, so I jet let them loose in her cage. I thought maybe it could be because I got her vitamins and dusted the crickets in it, and maybe she was confused cause of the white color. I'm trying to get on a feeding schedule of three cricket every few days but I don't want to like suddenly change the schedule. What would you recommend, im worried she isnt finding the crickets if they are loose in the cage.
Well, I don't recommend loose crickets in the cage, but some do it. They probably won't live long anyway. I find them in the drain bucket.

Apparently it's not unusual for gravid females to stop eating until after they lay.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1686037/?q=gravid+not+eating&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Dusting won't confuse her. If she doesn't like the taste of it, she may balk. Mine doesn't like his vitamins, but he's fine with calcium. I just put the vitamins on another feeder he likes more. ;)

Well, I don't recommend loose crickets in the cage, but some do it. They probably won't live long anyway. I find them in the drain bucket.

Apparently it's not unusual for gravid females to stop eating until after they lay.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1686037/?q=gravid+not+eating&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Dusting won't confuse her. If she doesn't like the taste of it, she may balk. Mine doesn't like his vitamins, but he's fine with calcium. I just put the vitamins on another feeder he likes more. ;)
I plan on getting feeder holder for her new cage that ill be ordering but dont have one right now. What do you use to feed your chameleon? (also I do want to try other feeders for her, not sure what to use tho or where to find it :))

Here's her current cage if you where wondering. I put the lay box in there and arranged the set up to hopefully give her more cover. I think ill order the new cage within the next few days, I cant wait :D.
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom