What should I decorate the cage with?

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I'm making a list of things that will improve the cage of the chameleon im looking after.
Im not sure if plants or fake plants are the best, I would like to get fake plants as they might be cheaper and I don't have to worry about killing then but I would like to get your opinions what what I should get?
Im also curious what the best way to provide water?
does this set up work?
https://www.climist.com/cyclone-misting-system.html
Here's a cage Im considering getting if i keep the chameleon.
https://dragonstrand.com/product/tall-hybrid-chameleon-cage-system/

Last edited:
the mister should work great you will have to hook it up to a big bucket filled with water also the dragon strand enclosure is one of the best enclosures

the mister should work great you will have to hook it up to a big bucket filled with water also the dragon strand enclosure is one of the best enclosures
ok! thanks for the cage and misting advice. My parents are skeptical about the cage lol, but im like, hey im using my own money so don't worry about the cost lol.
Any plant decor advice?

ok! thanks for the cage and misting advice. My parents are skeptical about the cage lol, but im like, hey im using my own money so don't worry about the cost lol.
Any plant decor advice?
Life plants only you could also check out Mist King for missing system

Hi . Was it a yeman ? Live plants are the best as they help with humidity, also Yemen are notorious for eating plants so fake ones are an impaction risk , but also check out what plants are safe for yemans as they eat plants . I believe you have already been given links ,but chameleon academy, casque above. Com

Any plant decor advice?
yes i use gardenia hibiscus pathos others you can use are bamboo which i also have ficus trees and mainly most plants pom trees one thing i see a lot is people using tomato plants which is actually toxic to chameleons

Ive gone through the Chameleon enclosure shopping list and added most of the things I plan on buying (still figuring about heating lights and plant lights). Things seem to be getting expensive. What a average cost for everything for a beginner?

Ive gone through the Chameleon enclosure shopping list and added most of the things I plan on buying (still figuring about heating lights and plant lights). Things seem to be getting expensive. What a average cost for everything for a beginner?
I would say around 1,000

ok cool, i've currently calculated about 900, and there are a few more things I need to figure. My parents, again, are skeptical on the pricing, its causing me to doubt myself 😓

ok cool, i've currently calculated about 900, and there are a few more things I need to figure. My parents, again, are skeptical on the pricing, its causing me to doubt myself 😓
There are a couple of ways that can help reduce set up costs. Getting plant clippings from friends/family to start (pothos, philodendron, wandering Jew) and using branches from outside (not pine or sappy ones and clean well). You can look on Facebook marketplace and CraigsList for gently used enclosure, lights, etc…just sanitize very well. Chameleons are expensive to get the initial correct set up for and there’s little way around that. Your girl’s problems mostly come from her previous keeper trying to take shortcuts which deprived her of the essentials that she needed. If your parents remain skeptical, invite them to learn about correct care with you.

Ok! Thank you! I believe the last things on my list of supply’s are like plant/
heat lamps.
I plan of getting clipping from plants and vines in my house and going out to buy some.
I’ve gone through ChameleonAcadamy and looked at the recommended plants so I’m hopefully set on them ;)

So I'm making a list of things that will improve the cage of the chameleon im looking after.
Im not sure if plants or fake plants are the best, I would like to get fake plants as they might be cheaper and I don't have to worry about killing then but I would like to get your opinions what what I should get?
does this set up work?
https://www.climist.com/cyclone-misting-system.html
Here's a cage Im considering getting if i keep the chameleon.
https://dragonstrand.com/product/tall-hybrid-chameleon-cage-system/
I have that misting system and it works just fine. I keep a 5 gallon bucket with RO water that the mister feeds from. If the water level in the bucket gets low, then I usually have to move the misting pump from horizontal to vertical several times to re-prime it. I don't care for the timer that came with it. Having a misting system is very convenient but not 100% necessary if you are able/willing to hand mist 2-3 times per day. A spike in humidity at night is necessary so a fogger is another thing to get. For a dripper, you can easily make one out of a clean milk jug or plastic cup by poking tiny holes and filling it with ice. They don't drink out of a dish so don't need to buy that. You won't need a heat lamp. Just a regular old incandescent light bulb will work. I would also recommend starting to build up a fund for vet visits. Don't fall for the hammocks or ladders at the pet store as those aren't necessary.

Do you think her current lighting would work with a UBV to create heat and light? Or should I completely scrap it once I get the UVB
98F9A043-2094-443F-9F4C-68DBB3DF0268.jpeg

Last edited:
The dual dome fixture is still usable…just not for uvb. One one side you can put your basking bulb and the other you can use a plant light or leave it empty.
What would the best basking bulb be?
And would a mister work fine on its own or should I get a foggier to?

Last edited:
What would the best basking bulb be?
You can use an old fashioned incandescent light bulb for basking, halogen or specific reptile basking bulb. I’d start at around 60w or 75w and see what temps that gives. For a female the ideal basking temp is 80.
I use only Mist King for hydration. Being in Florida it isn’t possible to get my night temps below 70, so I don’t use a fogger. I do have my Mist King set to give a couple of quick 15 second mistings during the night to give some humidity boost. I don’t use a dripper either and instead have a mid day 2 minute misting. We all do things a little differently to accommodate our unique situations and it’s a matter of what works best for you.

Live plants ONLY. Live plants help increase and maintain humidity, and don't pose a compaction risk if the cham decides to munch.

IMO, a mister. Some add a dripper, which is fine, but IMO it's redundant.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1682989/?q=CliMist&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance
I couldn't get them to respond to email, so I got a MistKing—no regrets.
We bought a second MK for my Missus' tortoise.

Last edited:
Do you think her current lighting would work with a UBV to create heat and light? Or should I completely scrap it once I get the UVB
You're going to need 3 kinds of lighting, which IMO should be considered separately (i.e. don't try to combine any in the same luminaire).

UVB—As already mentioned, a Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%—running full width of the enclosure.

Basking—mainly to provide heat during the day (No lights of any kind should be used at night).

Best bulbs for basking lights are (in order of preference):
  1. Household incandescent bulb (not LED)
  2. Incandescent flood light (not LED and not spot light)
  3. Halogen flood light (not spot light)
A clamp light fixture works well for basking lights, as they're easily aimable.
Basking lamps are best installed/mounted at an angle to produce a temperature gradient rather than a hot-spot.

1642278351155.png
Plant light—Many folks here are opting for this Sansi 70W plant light. It can be used in your current enclosure, and in a 24" x 24" x 48"H enclosure. Sansi coupons

I don't think you necessarily need to scrap the dual dome—maybe just leave one side empty.

Depends on your local ambient RH. If it's high (enough—see relevant care sheet) then a fogger may not be necessary.

I live in the Northeast/Great Lakes region, where annual RH can swing wildly, but with a hybrid enclosure and live plants, I can maintain target RH with just the mister—I just run it for 2 min. every 3 hrs. (in addition to once at noon for drinking water).

Back
Top Bottom