What sex are my Jacksons?

MeruJack

Avid Member
I have a dozen 3 month old jacksonii jacksonii babies and I am trying to figure out how many are males and how many are females. While some of the ones I think of as male have more blue and yellow coloring and the females appear to have less bright coloring &/or brown patterning, I don't think their coloring is a reliable indicator as it is always changing. And, unlike the other two subspecies of Jacksons, both males and females have three horns...I think some species like panthers you can tell early on (before they show their adult colors) by looking at the base of the tail...so I tried that. Here's what I came up with....Do you agree? What tips can you give me to make my guesses more accurate and efficient? Thanks!

#1 body.jpg #1 #1 jj tail.jpg #1 #1 vent male.jpg #1 upside down MALE? #2 body.jpg #2 #2 jj tail.jpg #2

#2 vent female.jpg #2 FEMALE? #3 body.jpg #3 Upset colors #3 jj tail.jpg #3 #3 vent female.jpg #3 upside down FEMALE?

Attachments

• #4 body.jpg
    #4 body.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Here are two more babies:

#4 body.jpg #4 #4 jj tail.jpg #4 #4 vent male.jpg #4 MALE?

#5 body.jpg #5 #5 color change.jpg #5 Getting upset/Changing to brown #5 jj tail.jpg #5
#5 vent female.jpg #5 Changed to black FEMALE? with extra skin fold above vent

Well, do you think I got them right? If not, please share tips &/or pointers. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom