What plants do you use?

kalawatt21

There are so many plants out there and I'm wondering what kind you have for your chams. What I'm looking for:

good structure for climbing
less than 3' tall
flowers (optional)
native to north america

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure about native to North America, but ficus, umbrella plant, and hibiscus are all great for sturdy climbing and pretty easy to care for depending on where you are located:)

I've used a ficus with limited success, they don't love the heavy misting that my large veiled requires (he drinks like a tank). I currently have a 4' majestic palm tree in the cage with him and he likes that a lot, plus it looks cool. I have his cage next to a window and the plant likes sun, so keep that in mind. $12 at lowes.

Finding chameleon friendly plants that are native to North America is kind of a difficult feat. Chameleons are (in majority) tropical, while most of N. America is.... not.
Chellia made some excellent suggestions (though make sure it's a dwarf umbrella tree! The big variety is toxic.)! I personally use the dwarf umbrella and pothos (devils ivy).

I'm just in the setup stage, but I'm looking to do mostly horizontal branches for support with a pothos up high draping the vines up and down. I saw it in a blog by olimpia and loved the open bottom look. I hear pothos are very easy to keep.

You can also grab a plant stand, so no plant sits on the ground of your enclosure.

Also, tacking some wooden dowels across the cage is another idea for branches:)

Thank You!

All great suggestions. I now have a ficus and tomorrow im gonna pick up some devils ivy! Thanks everyone!

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what I can do to fill up the top of my cage? Maybe something that can hang easily? I have one plant (I can't remember the name) that is sturdy but growing slowly so I don't have much at the top of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom