What MBD looks like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veiled Chameleon - MBD

defa28b6.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a veiled chameleon who has MBD. I took him to the vet about a week ago, and he is having me force feed him with a syringe twice a day. Twice a day he gets wet cat food (1cc), a stat fluid (1cc), and once a day, a calcium supplement (1cc). He had been doing much better, much more active, looking a lot healthier. But then last night, he spat out/threw up his supplement evidently, and this morning he was on the ground, nearly bone-white, with a yellowish tinge. I thought he was dead, but when I touched him, he moved and gained back some of his green color. After a bit, I put him on his branch where he could get some fog and UVB. I was worried he wouldn't be able to hold on, but he did and got some more color back, as you see in the picture (he also has some cocoa fiber on him still). He is still very pale though, and his eyes are sunken in. I'm not quite sure what could be causing this sudden turn of events.

He gets collard/mustard greens, superworms, mealworms, and then crickets a few times a month. I have tried all kinds of fruit and he's never showed any interest. I dust with calcium (no D3, except once a month) as recommended, and vitamin supplements. He has a lamp in ceramic housing for heat, UVB & UVA lights. I don't know the exact numbers on those, I'm at work right now. I don't think it's the lights though, as I change them regularly and he has been fine up until now. He has a fogger and I drip ice throughout the day, and when he's well he has always gone after it just fine.

Any ideas on what I can do? He has another vet appt set soon.

defa28b6.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a veiled chameleon who has MBD. I took him to the vet about a week ago, and he is having me force feed him with a syringe twice a day. Twice a day he gets wet cat food (1cc), a stat fluid (1cc), and once a day, a calcium supplement (1cc). He had been doing much better, much more active, looking a lot healthier. But then last night, he spat out/threw up his supplement evidently, and this morning he was on the ground, nearly bone-white, with a yellowish tinge. I thought he was dead, but when I touched him, he moved and gained back some of his green color. After a bit, I put him on his branch where he could get some fog and UVB. I was worried he wouldn't be able to hold on, but he did and got some more color back, as you see in the picture (he also has some cocoa fiber on him still). He is still very pale though, and his eyes are sunken in. I'm not quite sure what could be causing this sudden turn of events.

He gets collard/mustard greens, superworms, mealworms, and then crickets a few times a month. I have tried all kinds of fruit and he's never showed any interest. I dust with calcium (no D3, except once a month) as recommended, and vitamin supplements. He has a lamp in ceramic housing for heat, UVB & UVA lights. I don't know the exact numbers on those, I'm at work right now. I don't think it's the lights though, as I change them regularly and he has been fine up until now. He has a fogger and I drip ice throughout the day, and when he's well he has always gone after it just fine.

Give him Flukers Repta Aid mixed with some pedialyte in the water and a nice warm shower. I don't think cat food is good for them.

Cat food has prEformed vitamin A in it and also would have D3 in it. D3 and vitamin A are somewhat antagonistic to each other and this might not be helping.

Your chameleon definitely does not look well....but I'm not sure what's going on with it. How did the vet determine that he had MBD?? Did he run tests to see what the calcium levels were? I do see that his back leg looks a little funny...but I'm not sure if its just the photo. Can you post a couple more photos, please?

The quickest way to correct a calcium imbalance is to give the chameleon injections of calcium until the blood calcium levels are high enough to give the chameleon a shot of calcitonin to rapidly draw the calcium back into the bones.

hey I'm new to the forum and I have a veiled chameleon..I dont' have a vet anywhere around where I live. I've noticed that his limbs are getting a little weaker and I think he is getting mbd...he is still a little active, but not like before..I've had it on mainly a diet of meal worms...it used to be crickets and I'm wondering if their is anything I can do...I'm going to get crickets sprinkled with the calcium and try to feed him..but if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Hardcorechef...it would be better to start your own thread...we also need more information in order to know what's going on with your chameleon so can you fill out the questionaire in the "how to ask for help" thread in the health section and post some photos?

As a newcomer here and a new cham owner, it would be nice if there were some photos of signs of early MBD posted here. I believe that these extreme cases, although educational, interesting and inspiring, do not assist inexperienced owners on how to recognize the outward signs of MBD before their case turns extreme. One can read about the signs, but photos edited to show what to look for would be a real service to forum members and the chams.

P.S. After rescuing a crested gecko with it, I hope I never to have a photo of my cham to post.

As a newcomer here and a new cham owner, it would be nice if there were some photos of signs of early MBD posted here. I believe that these extreme cases, although educational, interesting and inspiring, do not assist inexperienced owners on how to recognize the outward signs of MBD before their case turns extreme. One can read about the signs, but photos edited to show what to look for would be a real service to forum members and the chams.

P.S. After rescuing a crested gecko with it, I hope I never to have a photo of my cham to post.

I am also a new cham owner, and I agree. It would be nice to have first sign pictures of it.

Is MBD able to be cured with treatment?

I am also a new cham owner, and I agree. It would be nice to have first sign pictures of it.

Is MBD able to be cured with treatment?

The first signs are stunted growth, the bending of bones and pathological fractures. It's not very easy to get pictures of stunted growth and the others are pretty obvious if you know what normal is supposed to be. The truth is there aren't a lot of early signs. By the time signs show that means it's advanced. MBD cannot be cured but it can be halted and some of the damage can be reversed. Broken bones can heal but the scar of a healed fracture will always be there. And bent bones can get straighter as they remodel over time once the deficits are replaced. But stunted growth and the other problems may be permanent. It is very important to correct problems as soon as any problems are noted so as to stop its progression.

Other signs may be missing when they shoot their tongue, short tongue syndrome, grabbing at their legs and arms, and soft lower jaw or bendable casque.

PascaltheVeiled's picture is actually not a good picture of MBD. That is severe dehydration and malnutrition. There may be an MBD component but the classic signs aren't visible.

I noticed my chams back legs being a little shaky today. Looking at her front leg above the elbow. Could that be MBD? also she recently had a closed eye but I havent seen it closed in a few days...Im currently at work and can post cage info around 5 if I get a negative reply.

ps. unless that bump under her front arm formed overnight it could jst be a camera trick but I will check when i Get home.

Attachments

• dohini.jpg
    dohini.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 219
defa28b6.jpg
[/IMG]

OMG that is a scary site, poor guy

in your origional post you put "He doesn't use his front legs alot of the time, so he looks like quite the casual lounger on his branches with those front legs dangling underneath him"

Sometimes my 3 n half month male yeman will just lie on his logs and not have hold of it properlly, it looks abit wierd but hes done it since i got him! could this be a sign of anthing? hope not but you got me worried wen i read that!

Is that eye bulging thing normal?

Is it common for veileds to do that or it it only that type of cham?

my vielded 6-7 month old female that i just found out has MBD, one eye pops out sometimes? it's weird it's like somethings moving around in her eye when it happends but then it goes back to normal? it looked pretty much just like your rescue.. but it went back to normal ? Is this part of the MBD ?

Last edited:
my vielded 6-7 month old female that i just found out had MBD, one eye pops out sometimes? it's weird it's like somethings moving around in her eye when it happends but then it goes back to normal? it looked pretty much just like your rescue.. but it went back to normal ? Is this part of the MBD ?

Sometimes they are just cleaning their eyes like this: https://www.chameleonforums.com/eye-cleaning-freaky-pics-43837/
Video of eye cleaning: http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=EyeballMaintenanceVideo.mp4

Hi Sofia

Start a new thread and fill this out and we'll do our best to help you. You will need to go back to the vet as soon as possible but for now you need to make sure he can't fall again so take out anything he can climb. I would also consider trying another vet if yours is not experienced with chameleons. Photos of your chameleon and his setup will help a lot.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

That is such amazing information, thank you for all your help. I am new on this site. I had a veiled cham about 8 years ago and there were no vets that new much, I lost my Leo to an upper respiratory infection. Now I have learned it could have been the beautiful aquarium or the waterfall or that he could not climb higher than two feet, or all of it. I can just cry knowing I had a pet who I thought I was doing well for and I was making so many mistakes, if only animals could talk, so I thank you all for talking for them.

my male veiled cham MBD

hi, I have a veiled male chameleon of about 7 months who definitely has MBD, I bought him from a local owner and realized he had it.. But lately I have been really busy and was wondering if any experienced chameleon owners would like to take him off my hands.. I am giving him away for $50 and can ship him, but would prefer local pick ups.. I live in Tucson, AZ and live on the North side.. If anyone would like to take him PLEASE contact me back asap.

thank you very much,

Bee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom