What MBD looks like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry i know it has nothing to do with this but how do i start a new post i have a young veiled cham with mbd and would like to start a new post to ask others what i might be able to do to make him more comfortable and help him over come this.

sorry i know it has nothing to do with this but how do i start a new post i have a young veiled cham with mbd and would like to start a new post to ask others what i might be able to do to make him more comfortable and help him over come this.

Go to the same page you were at when you clicked on this thread (https://www.chameleonforums.com/health-clinic/) and click on "New Thread" in the upper left-hand corner.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 246
would you mind if i add pics of my mbd boy pascal before and now as he has com along way and we have been through all these hurdles and now he climbs and lives like a normal cham dont climb the same or as good but he does awsome im very proud of him and im happy to see you are caring for these guys hope you plan to update the thread

What MBD looks like on x-rays (radiographs)

radscompare.jpg

#1: Chameleon with MBD resulting in poor bone density.
#2: Chameleon with good bone density but residual damage from MBD when he was young.
#3: Normal chameleon skeleton with good bone density.

The deformities on George are indicated by the yellow arrows, where the bones are deformed and partially collapsed. Compare this to the blue arrow on #3 - that is what the arm bones are supposed to look like: straight and apart.

One of the biggest problems with MBD is the loss of calcium in the bone because it is being stripped away for various other bodily processes, such as muscle movement. This results in weak bones and on x-rays results in bones that are hardly visible. Things that are white on x-rays are mineral, like calcium in bones. When that is missing the bones do not show up very well on x-rays. If you look at the skulls of the three chameleons it is apparent how much better you can see every bone in #2 and 3. Also take a look at the arms of #1. How many toe bones can you count? I cannot even see any bones at all in the left arm, and in the right I still can't tell you how many there are. It is hard to see any of the vertebral bones and even the ribs are hard to count. The bones should look like #2 and #3 where you can see all of them with good detail and be able to count them. Lack of proper bone density is a classic indicator of calcium deficiency, and can quickly lead to pathologic fractures where the bones are so weak that they break just under the weight of the chameleon. While some x-rays can turn out poorly due to technique and can be improved by enhancing certain settings on the x-ray machine, in a case of MBD you will not be able to make the bones show up any better regardless of technique because the mineral to make them show up is simply not there.

after reading this post i'm just amazed by so many of incredable, careing people that are so willing to help others and their pets. I love this forum.

This thread has been restarted

Julirs started a truly wonderful resource with this thread. Unfortunately over the years it has been convoluted and is difficult to navigate for information and relevant pictures. The thread has been rebooted with some more information and more pictures with the same intent: to educate everyone about what MBD is, how to prevent it and how to treat it. Please see the new thread here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/wha...ase-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/. Please contact me with any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom