What is your natural disaster preparations?

burnedrose

OK, so with a crazy NY winter, an earthquake and now an impending hurricane, I am honestly curious...

What do you do in case of a natural disaster?

How do you prepare your chameleons/eggs?

What do you do if the power/water is out for a few days/weeks?

I, personally, have never dealt with anything like this, as most of chameleon raising was done in Hawaii - if anything bad happened, ya stick the cage outside and hope for a little bit of rain and throw down an insect trap outside and collect crickets. I haven't had any reason to prepare for anything since I've moved back to NY, so I am curious.

I'm going to buy a weeks worth of crickets and I already have plenty of bottled water. I'm not too worried about temps as the weather here should be in the acceptable range. I think we'll be OK.

I just bought crickets and water. I havent lost power during any hurricane in the ast 10 years. Not through Wilma, Katrina, Charlie, etc. none of the ones that caused all that trouble. Wilma, the one that destroyed the west coast of florida, went right above my house.

There really isnt much you can do. I have veileds and panthers. They do fine outside, so its just a matter of having food and water available.

im in california..so only 2012 may cause an issue..other wise..cham eggs in that situation are in the cool closet..survival bag, and travel style pop up cham cage....not sure how you would live outside and survive with your chams tho..LOL..hopefully you camp by a small tree cover it with a big peice of mesh and yer good..LOL?????

Well, I'm in San Diego and have had to evacuate my home in the face of fires once and have been packed and ready to go at a moments notice another time, so yes, I have a plan. My cages and animals are small and can easily travel, so they will go in the back seat of one car, strapped in with shoulder/seat belts. The crickets are in a 5 gallon tub, easily put either in the back of the car or on the floor. If figure everything else can be jury rigged as needed.

I laugh every time people say that cause it reminds me of the family guy episode when the mayans are like:
"-dude, lets finish the calendar later, lets get lunch
-Alright, lets go"
and then come the spanish and kill them.. they never finished the calendar.. hahahaha.. its too funny.. ignorance is funny.

I love how people freak out about these so called disasters. Stuff like this always happens and then people forget and freak out over the next thing. I live 30 min inland in NY and I figure worst case scenario is there is no power for a week, at least its summer. IDK how far upstate you are but I wouldn't worry about the hurricane if you are literally upstate. As far as earthquakes, it was a tremor felt from the earthquake in VA. You shouldn't have felt it unless you were in a building high up. This is also nothing new, the only reason its so big is because of media. 100 years ago you wouldn't have probably even known about it. Not to be a A$$ but grow a pair, if the world ends tomorrow you have bigger issues than taking care of your chameleon. Otherwise if you're worried about a long power outage buy a generator or a giant battery backup, you could even get something linked to solar panels.

I love how people freak out about these so called disasters. Stuff like this always happens and then people forget and freak out over the next thing. I live 30 min inland in NY and I figure worst case scenario is there is no power for a week, at least its summer. IDK how far upstate you are but I wouldn't worry about the hurricane if you are literally upstate. As far as earthquakes, it was a tremor felt from the earthquake in VA. You shouldn't have felt it unless you were in a building high up. This is also nothing new, the only reason its so big is because of media. 100 years ago you wouldn't have probably even known about it. Not to be a A$$ but grow a pair, if the world ends tomorrow you have bigger issues than taking care of your chameleon. Otherwise if you're worried about a long power outage buy a generator or a giant battery backup, you could even get something linked to solar panels.

Its true over in Colorado here on the west coast we had about the same size earthquake as on the east the same day and it was almost not talked about at all the media is horrible on the east coast.

OK, so with a crazy NY winter, an earthquake and now an impending hurricane, I am honestly curious...

What do you do in case of a natural disaster?

How do you prepare your chameleons/eggs?

What do you do if the power/water is out for a few days/weeks?

I, personally, have never dealt with anything like this, as most of chameleon raising was done in Hawaii - if anything bad happened, ya stick the cage outside and hope for a little bit of rain and throw down an insect trap outside and collect crickets. I haven't had any reason to prepare for anything since I've moved back to NY, so I am curious.

I am from Rochester NY and I know winter weather but by no means is it crazy around here! So a little snow...if you grew up around here then 90 + inches is nothing every year. We dont get massive flooding, earthquakes, severe droughts, rarely any tornados (minus the F2 last week), Hurricanes...etc etc. In terms of "disasters" we get literally nothing around here except a month too long of winter thats about it and nothing we cant handle...we could get a foot of snow or more and my butt is still going into work and the kids are still going to school. So yes I am laughing at all you down south with your lack of plows and your 1-2in of snow that can cripple a city:D .

I love how people freak out about these so called disasters.
I love how people that have never experienced a real disaster try to minimize the hype. Look up pictures of LI after Gloria in 1985. I was there and it was a mess. That is nothing compared to what Katrina did to the gulf coast. If you think its no big deal, why don't you come hang out at my place for the weekend.

EXACTLY!!! We get nothing here in Upstate NY...didnt feel a thing with the earthquake. We deal with winter and construction for the roads...about sums it up!

I laugh every time people say that cause it reminds me of the family guy episode when the mayans are like:
"-dude, lets finish the calendar later, lets get lunch
-Alright, lets go"
and then come the spanish and kill them.. they never finished the calendar.. hahahaha.. its too funny.. ignorance is funny.

hahahaha such a good quote...especially idf it does happen and i end up caring for your chams..ignorance IS bliss..LOL..well either way my chams better have a good trigger finger..im takin no hostages..lol..my females not havin the pic..keeps walking off the muzzel like she knows..but heres my chameleon protection!!..LOL

first pic is both before mods..second is of the bottom with full mods..(barrett .50 cal sniper style....keep in mind these are C.A. legal so just toys at 22lr size..its all we can have here without government regulation...or at least what i can post and not be considered "controversal"..NRA forever!!! and chams too!!! LOL)

k not sure..but it only let me post one...BRAD..dont kick my a$$..LOL

Attachments

• CIMG0423.jpg
    CIMG0423.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 89
hahahaha such a good quote...especially idf it does happen and i end up caring for your chams..ignorance IS bliss..LOL..well either way my chams better have a good trigger finger..im takin no hostages..lol..my females not havin the pic..keeps walking off the muzzel like she knows..but heres my chameleon protection!!..LOL

first pic is both before mods..second is of the bottom with full mods..(barrett .50 cal sniper style....keep in mind these are C.A. legal so just toys at 22lr size..its all we can have here without government regulation...or at least what i can post and not be considered "controversal"..NRA forever!!! and chams too!!! LOL)

k not sure..but it only let me post one...BRAD..dont kick my a$$..LOL

damndude you be packing FIRE POWAHH!!!!:eek:

lmao

and heres one of the chams on his favorite weapon, the katana( its a blade made in the ryumon mountains..my full body size, weight, and full arm gyometry was given..it took 7 months to hammer out..worth five times that of my lil pricless chams to protect ( im fluently schooled in shinjimasu shaolin, as well as many different chinese and japanese sword styles..actually more comfortable up close with this in my hand than anything else made in this world as a weapon..except for a chameleon on a stick..now thats deadly sniper firepower....one shot one kill!!!! LOL

sorry i dont show the blade as it is waxed shut and WILL ONLY be removed to draw blood..(sounds weird but its to honor the months of work put in to it..it has approx 7867 layers done over 9 months of time..made to me..think of it as a "hatori hanzo" from kill bill...yes it can cut an appendage off clean..i value it as an artifact...to "hopefully" never be used..an instrament of absolute death..much like a chams toungue..LOL..only pics of handle..real ray skin..and sun tanned ox leather... full tang, war ready..will not break chopping through a human body, if needed...only to protect chameleons from people stealing their crickects for stew..LOL

Attachments

• 36116504.jpg
    36116504.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 110
  • CIMG0407.jpg
    CIMG0407.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 83
  • CIMG0410.jpg
    CIMG0410.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 94
  • CIMG0412.jpg
    CIMG0412.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 137

I'm in wappinger falls. So not far from somers. We will probably have lots of downed trees and power failures. something the northeast hasnt learned. Cutting the trees away from power lines.

Back
Top Bottom