What is this??

Hellbeckons

I recently noticed a dot under my chameleon's eye. After this he has been closing both of his eyes. He also seems to have sunken eyes so I don't think he is drinking he was drinking fine before. I thought it could be just somthing he got on it so I tried to wipe it of but it was hard and seemed like it was attached to his eye. No idea what it is any help?

• Chameleon - Veiled, probably male, about 4 months of age, has been in my care for a month now
  • Handling - Twice not a regular thing
  • I feed crickets and superworms. 10 crickets and 1 superworm. I try to feed every day. I use a water and calcium gel for water and fruits and veggies for food.
  • Supplements - I am using Rep-Cal Herptivite multivitamin and National Gepgraphic calcium+D3 powder. I dust with both about every week.
  • Watering - I mist his cage 3-4 times a day so he can drink of the leaves. I mist for about 5 minutes each mist. I used to see him drink when I misted him.
  • Fecal Description - His poop is white and brown. As far as I know he has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Got him from a pet store when he was a bit younger.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - A screen and glass cage. 18x18x36
  • Lighting - I have a 5.0 Reptisun uvb bulb and a red heat bulb. I turn them on when I wake up and off when I go to sleep.
  • Temperature -90 degrees fahrenheit.
  • Humidity - 40-60% humidity
  • Plants - I am not using any live plants but I am using a lot of fake plants.
  • Placement - He is in my library which is in a low traffic area. He is next to an air vent. The top of the cage is about 6 feet from the ground.
  • Location - I am located in Arizona,USA

He sounds dehydrated. Will he drink from a dripper? You should try the shower method. Put him on a fake plant, or hold him, in the shower with Luke warm water. Point the shower head at the wall and place the plant where it willl get wet from the mist bouncing off that wall. Let him be in there until he drinks and let him drink all he can. It may take 20-30 mins but you'll need to supervise the entire time.

Do you dust with calcium without D3? You should be dusting with that every feeding and using the calcium with d3 once a month and the multivitamin once a month, rotating between them 2 every two weeks. Like... use the NOne d3 every feeding. Then on the 15th of the month use the multivitamin then on the 30th use the with d3 but always use the calcium without d3 on the feedings in between.

What are you using for uvb?

Get us some pics of the cham plus some pics of your set up.

Closed, sunken eyes are a parasite issue usually, getting from a pet store, that's likely the case but I can't be sure. There's others with more knowledge on the subject and only a vet/fecal can diagnose for sure. What's the consistency of his poop/urates?

5 minute misting, multiple times a day is pretty good, dehydration shouldn't be an issue if that's what you're doing. Shower can't hurt though.

Also if be feeding more, at 4 months my Chams would eat at least 2 dozen crickets a day along with roaches, silks, horns, butters, bsfl, etc. Variety is important(just a husbandry tip, not saying this is causing your problems atm). I wouldn't use water crystals, fruits and veggies hydrate on their own, add some seeds, nuts, bee pollen, etc.. a large variety of gutload is necessary(there are lists on here).

Your supplementing is off. Calc with d3 once every other week. Multivitamin(herptivite as example) once every other week, alternating on opposite week from the calcd3. Plain calcium daily.

Also, with the vent near him, an RI could be the issue as well.

Good luck I wish you the best

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom