What is this??? Sick Poop!!!!

leolover

Ok so my 5 month old Panther cham. has been acting totally normal. He is eating and drinking and very active. I recently moved him up to larger crickets but he seems to be doing fine with them. Lastnight he shed and took him about 5 hours... which is norm for him... all in all... im suprised at what I found in his cage today...
I looked down and at the bottom of the plant was a very sick looking poo... I posted a pic of it.. there is some kind of a jelly coating on it and some of the urine part looks to be orange?? I dont think that he is dehydrated because I SEE him drinking all the time.. almost every time that I spray down the cage which is about 4 -5 times a day depending on how hot it is.

- hatched on Nov 16 07 so he is about 5 1/2 months old Male
-I have him in a screen enclosure..
-I am supplementing with herptivite, calcium with vit. D and Mineral-all
-I dont supplement that often, maybe once a week. Ive learned that he is special and doesnt need that much supplement. If I supplement any more than that it comes out his nose...
-I spary the cage for water source, like I said, I see him drink all the time
-I feed him crickets... I just ordered some blue bottle flies
-The heat is at about 80-85 and basking at 90 degrees
- humidity is at about 40-50 percent.. it is as high as I can get it since I live in the desert. I have talked to Kammers about it and they said that is fine
-I use the correct lighting as it came from the Kammers
-and finally I have a ficus and fake vines and sticks for him to climb on.

Attachments

• 101_0996.jpg
    101_0996.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 383
had the same type of poop recently, brought him to the vet, and my boy has coccidia. not saying that yours does but mine looked exactly like that so maybe get him checked out. and mine had no outword signs of anything, active, eating, drinking, so i was in the same boat as you

if i read it correctley its a parasite that sits in the intestinal tract. i have no idea what they do but i understand that if not taken care of, they ll kill the chameleon. i got a bottle of albon prescribed by the vet to give about .05cc of each day for a time of two weeks. after another two weeks, to make sure that most of it is dead i have to go back for another fecal float to make sure that they all are dead. i have no idea what is wrong with your chameleon tho. you probably need to go to a vet if youre worried. the peace of mind if it is nothing will be worth it as well as the knowledge of something wrong if something is wrong.

OK well I am going to keep am eye on him and see what his next poo looks like. If it continues I will take him in... to precious to let him go... Thanks... does anyone else have any ideas of what it could be???

I have now noticed that my cham has not really been eating..... and I havent really been seeing him drinking..I sprayed him down today and he opened his mouth and I kept spraying him.. I could see him swallowing so I guess he is getting some water but dont know about him eating. I have 1 inch crix in the cage free roam. I saw that there were some left in there from the other day so I didnt feed him yesterday. This morn. I sprayed down the cage and I didnt see that many crix so i decided to throw some in there.. now I can see that he hasnt eaten any of them... :(

Last edited:
thats what kind of happened to mine. the way that it was explained to me and how it related to humans was almost like a really bad stomach ache. you dont really want to eat or drink but you know you have to. they dont seem to want to and you sorta gotta take it upon yourself to make sure they are. id get him checked just for the hell of it

Hey Leo

Sorry about your sick Cham.:( Fear is right, go to the vet and get it checked out. I would rather be safe then sorry. Since your Cham is already displaying an appetite loss, the Vet visit would be worth it.

I have a female Ambilobe that had feces that looked like that and worse just after we had her shipped to us. She was eating though, but not gaining any weight. I took her to the vet, they did a fecal smear and saw little egg like objects. They prescribed her Panacur on two 10 day doses (take one, wait 10 days, take the next). We finished the Panacur and did another fecal exam, no critters:D Throughout this whole process, her eating/drinking hadnt changed. But, when the parasites were gone, she gained weight like crazy!

Back
Top Bottom