What is normal for poop/urate?

andy d

I'm a first time chameleon keeper and I'm just wondering what is normal for chameleon poop and urate? Can anyone post a few pics for me? I did a search, but all I'm coming up with is abnomal images, or signs of dehydration. Any pictures would be a great help, thanks!

Oo and maybe a pic or two of what it shouldnt look like too. Itd be nice to compare side by side on here instead of trying to find those pics again lol. Thanks much.

adnormal/normal poop

here are the pics

Attachments

• un.jpg
    un.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,763
  • health.jpg
    health.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 683
Alright thanks. How often do they normaly defecate? Should it be happening every day? Every other day? And from what I gather, yellowish or orange urate is a sign of dehydration and on the right side there, the white object is normal urate and a symbol of being well hydrated?

I suspect young ones might poop daily, but for adults it's not at all unusual for them to only poop a couple of times a week.

There might even be some relationship between feeding and pooping...you feed them so they feel comfortable releasing what they've been holding inside.

And, as with just about all animal species, there are variations to the "norm"....you might have a chameleon who is perfectly healthy but only poops once a week. That's why poop peering alone is not enough.

The white is the urate and it should be white or creamy colored. If there's just a bit of yellow or orange at the tip, that's not a problem. If the whole urate is visibly yellow or orange, that's bad and needs help.

Do note, however, that if your chameleon is one who doesn't poop a lot, then the urates might be more yellow/orange even though hydration is fine...that's why you are smart to monitor the frequency of pooping.

Back
Top Bottom