Metronidazole- blood before urate/poop

FYI- I don't know if I will ever turn complete care over to my granddaughter. Chameleons are not for children/teens (my opinion).

Yes, he is overweight. Beman definitely suggested decreasing feeders. He is actually down to 218g. He was 223g. However, during 1st and 2nd treatment I did not follow the decreased feeding schedule because he was getting dehydrated and performing death drops. We were all having a hard time/traumatized. I think the death drops were a result of aspiration. With Baytril we are pro Vet Techs. During his current treatment he gets 3 feeders 3 times a week. His staple is 2 crickets + 1 hornworm, or 2 crickets + 1 silkworm. I never feed superworms but I could not find hornworms/silkworms. He refused crickets so I bought the supers (bad idea). With Baytril treatment, I feed him 1 hornworm everyday and 2 crickets 3 x a week. Once he completes the medication he will return to his regular feeding schedule (2 feedings a week/3 feeders). I should receive my silkworms and more hornworms this week. @kinyonga the doctor tested the fecal and found no blood/parasites and no Giardia. Thanks for the article. @ jannb the appointment with the new vet is in Feburary. So I took him to the first Vet available. I plan to keep the new Vet appointment to established Carmelo as a patient.
To help keep him hydrated, you can dip the horns and silks in water right before feeding. I also drip longer each day and do an extra mist. There are very few vets that are knowledgable with chameleons. You often have to drive a long way to get to one. There are a lot of vets that say they are knowledgeable and will take your money.

Chameleons are high maintenance animals and take a lot of your money. They are definitely not for kids.

Yes, that's y I'm going to establish Carmelo with the Vet you referred. I was anxious to have him seen because of what I thought was blood. After reading the above article, I feel like the red stained matter was due to Metronidazole. Because the fecal that the Vet tested was covered in what I thought was blood but the fecal was negative for blood. I just could not stand the thought of Carmelo suffering. I would have driven to New York to get care. This guy has melted my mom ❤️.

Back
Top Bottom