What if my chameleon only recieved calcium D3?

Danicuteeyes

My bf's chameleon is sick right now. He's only given it calcium D3, but I told him he needs both, with and without D3. He says he used to give it before he looked sick and nothing was wrong, he was crawling like crazy but now all he does is lay on the branch.

What can he do to help the chameleon?
(its a senegal btw)

well obviously he is not educated enough on chameleons, but if he will listen to you, tell him to give : Calcium without D3 OR phospherous every other feeding, Calcium with D3 twice a month, and a multivitamin supplement once a month. There may be many reasons for the chameleons sickness, but try this first. Since it started once he stopped using calcium without D3, that may be the cause. Chameleons can get a vitamin D3 overdose. If he is only buying calcium with D3 to save money, he should not have a chameleon because he may end up hurting him and having to spend more money.

What kind of lighting? does he get natural sunlight as well? If he only gets D3 AND sunlight... he is definitely ODing on the D3.

Also there is a 'how to ask for help' sticky in the health forum. Start a new post in this thread and fill that out the info so we can better help you.

D3 should only be given MAX 2-3 times a month. That is if your cham is not going out for natural sunlight. Do a search there are lots of dusting schedules out there on the forum.

-Clemonde

What kind of lighting? does he get natural sunlight as well? If he only gets D3 AND sunlight... he is definitely ODing on the D3.

Also there is a 'how to ask for help' sticky in the health forum. Start a new post in this thread and fill that out the info so we can better help you.

no, the chameleon doesn't get natural sunlight...I was also wondering how long you should leave the chameleon out under the shade for sunlight...and if that's a substitute for D3

from what I've known he's only given it D3 and just started giving it calcium without it...hopefully we'll be able to get the chameleon back to normal health

thank you guys for everything

yeah i def agree. if he is just penny pinching and using d3 the cham WILL overdose. and the schedule they just provided is a good guidline to go with

Back
Top Bottom