What do you do when the power goes out?

HolyToledo

I was wondering what other people do when they loose power?

How do you keep a cham warm during the middle of a winter storm power outage?

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

it depends for how long if its for a few hours i would turn on the oven in the kitchen and leave the door open so it can generate and release some heat in an area and maybe move your house where its warmer.

I keep a heat pack and a container ready for each chameleon I own. This could buy me a day or so as long as my house's inside temp didn't drop below 45 degrees or so. If the power went out when it is really cold outside and was expected to stay out for a long time, I'd have to take these heat packed containers with all of my chameleons in them to a friend or relatives house until my power came back up. Hope this never happens. Gotta love the midwest.

it depends for how long if its for a few hours i would turn on the oven in the kitchen and leave the door open so it can generate and release some heat in an area and maybe move your house where its warmer.

How do you turn your oven on in a power outage? Do you have a gas range?

I was wondering what other people do when they loose power? How do you keep a cham warm during the middle of a winter storm power outage? Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I purposefully bought a house with a wood burning fireplace (good for emergency heat).
lots of ideas in these previous threads on the same topic:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/ahh-power-failure-help-23234/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-do-when-powers-out-36379/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/55-hours-without-power-help-66149/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/ups-battery-back-up-emergencies-15879/

This past winter we lost power for a couple of days...I ended up lighting a camping lantern in the chameleon room - it was warm enough that it kept my panther warm until the power was back on. I actually considered buying a generator after that happened! The other time we lost power I moved the chams into the bathroom and ran a really hot shower that warmed up the room/chams.

well...I'm in San Diego, so when the power went out (which it did for the whole county in September) I didn't particularly worry about the chameleons because it's just not that cold (and I have little cold weather chameleons anyway).

I believe Kinyonga suggested a) having chemical heat packs (like used as hand warmers for camping) around and b) moving the chameleon from the big cage to a small "keeper" enclosure that is surrounded by the handwarmers.

This winter we were a week with out power
That's when we got a snow storm for
Halloween and I didn't have a chameleon
Then I just got her but I have geckco
Too and I toke them down to my bf gramma
House down the road she had power

Our power was only out for about 8 hours but it was COLD and night time so nowhere to get the packs. I just put Mister up against my neck and let him snooze there (but I was afraid I might squish him so I didn't sleep).

I will be getting the heat packs for sure to have on hand. I like the alternative battery backup idea too.

Thanks all for the input and, Sandra, thanks for the links.

We've never lost power for too long where I'm at- several hours tops and indoor temps remained above 50 so that wasn't a problem.

But for my incubators, I've got power converters for my automobiles- you know the kind that allows a person to plug in laptops or even small televisions or whatever by way of an outlet/adapter that goes into the cigarette lighter. This is enough for a cheap generator (I think the adaptors were $35, and then I've got 50' extension cords to run power from the cars to the incubators). One of these years, I'd like to get a big generator but for now, this has been fine for my backup plan. My incubators use hardly any power, but would be more than enough for a few cages instead of the incubators...

i lost power for most of the day and it was super cold out.

What i did was place everybody in the sun for a bit, by the window cuz the sunlight was partially warm.

Then when the sun went away, I ran a super hot shower, filled the bathroom with warm air. and put all the cages in the bathroom.

I just kept turning the boiling hot shower on and off to keep the bathroom warm.

Now if it happened for more than a day, i would take them soemwhere else.

Back
Top Bottom