Spreading some wifi plugs info - LINTYLE 2 Pack WiFi Smart Plug Mini Outlet WiFi Socket

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
So today I had a scare where my wifi plugs turned on the mister and fogger in the middle of the day. I noticed within a few minutes and was able to shut them off remotely. I found out it was due to a power surge which resulted in the state if the plugs being set to ON by default after power is restored.

So when I got home I decided to figure out a solution for when this happens and I found one! The plugs I have specifically, give you an option to change the default state of these plugs. Which is perfect for us cham keepers!

Setting them to 'remember last status' is where we want to be. This way if any surges occur overnight, we don't have to worry about our chams not getting their misting and/or fogging.

They also will stay true to their schedule after a surge during the day. So if anyone was looking for plugs these are what I'm using. Just thought I'd share my findings in case anyone is looking to move to these types of plugs like I have.

LINTYLE 2 Pack WiFi Smart Plug Mini Outlet WiFi Socket, Compatible with Alexa and Google Home, Remote Control Plugs & Timer Function, 2.4G Wi-Fi Only, No Hub Required,FCC/CE/Rohs/IC Listed(2 Pack) https://a.co/d/frm8tve

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821_175848_Smart Life.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_175848_Smart Life.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Ugh I went smart plug shopping at Home Depot and learned the hard way why the one brand was half the price of another. The bargain brand was only, “smart” when you had a blue tooth device nearby with the app controlling it. Otherwise it just stayed in whatever mode it was when the device left Bluetooth proximity! I switched to Kasa smart plugs and never went back. Great post !

Ugh I went smart plug shopping at Home Depot and learned the hard way why the one brand was half the price of another. The bargain brand was only, “smart” when you had a blue tooth device nearby with the app controlling it. Otherwise it just stayed in whatever mode it was when the device left Bluetooth proximity! I switched to Kasa smart plugs and never went back. Great post !
ty! Yeah as soon as I had this issue I immediately started blaming the plugs. But then I learned it was definitely, 100% a power outage. Then I blamed the plugs for the way they handled power turning back on. I started looking up different plugs to see if any would default to OFF or Last Status and decided to do a deep dive into the app on my phone and I lucked out.... I had the setting available to me all along! haha.

1000000000% user error. But I am almost kind of glad it happened because Spike is okay, and I learned from this and now I have an experience to share and hopefully help others :)

ty! Yeah as soon as I had this issue I immediately started blaming the plugs. But then I learned it was definitely, 100% a power outage. Then I blamed the plugs for the way they handled power turning back on. I started looking up different plugs to see if any would default to OFF or Last Status and decided to do a deep dive into the app on my phone and I lucked out.... I had the setting available to me all along! haha.

1000000000% user error. But I am almost kind of glad it happened because Spike is okay, and I learned from this and now I have an experience to share and hopefully help others :)
Having the right plugs and that level of automation is so awesome. It makes it easier on the animals too. They get a solid schedule and cues for bed time

Having the right plugs and that level of automation is so awesome. It makes it easier on the animals too. They get a solid schedule and cues for bed time
So far Spike has been going to "bed" on his own time. Which is approx. 3:30-3:45ish. My lighting schedule is on at 7am and off at 7pm. So he's always down there early

By bed I just mean his resting area. He's not sleeping. He's wide awake just chillin there after being on top all day long. I feel he's put himself on a really nice schedule.

The first few days he would kinda hide in his resting area for a while until we were gone. And that was fine. But now as soon as those lights come up (which happens WHILE I am setting up his bugs in his enclosure), he crawls right up and starts basking while I am getting his food ready lol its so nice.

He doesn't even start eating for at least 1-2 hours after that. Unless a cricket gets loose. He gets them no matter what if they get loose and he's hear them. Amazing how they work out their schedules so perfectly.

So far Spike has been going to "bed" on his own time. Which is approx. 3:30-3:45ish. My lighting schedule is on at 7am and off at 7pm. So he's always down there early

By bed I just mean his resting area. He's not sleeping. He's wide awake just chillin there after being on top all day long. I feel he's put himself on a really nice schedule.

The first few days he would kinda hide in his resting area for a while until we were gone. And that was fine. But now as soon as those lights come up (which happens WHILE I am setting up his bugs in his enclosure), he crawls right up and starts basking while I am getting his food ready lol its so nice.

He doesn't even start eating for at least 1-2 hours after that. Unless a cricket gets loose. He gets them no matter what if they get loose and he's hear them. Amazing how they work out their schedules so perfectly.
This is so funny. I was just thinking today at about 4 PM whether it’s normal for Tony to go to his hiding spot to sleep. He isn’t asleep, just getting in position after the heat lamp kicks off. Then the UVB bulb goes off and I think he moves to his final spot, which is all over the place lately.

This is so funny. I was just thinking today at about 4 PM whether it’s normal for Tony to go to his hiding spot to sleep. He isn’t asleep, just getting in position after the heat lamp kicks off. Then the UVB bulb goes off and I think he moves to his final spot, which is all over the place lately.
To be honest, I don't know how 'normal' it is. But it makes sense to me for a couple of reasons:

1) He's still getting used to his enclosure. So he doesn't know if another chameleon may come and take that place. So good to get there early.
2) He's still feeling out when the lights shut off. So he's undershooting that so he doesn't have to climb in the dark to get to his sleeping spot.
3) Good to 'cool off' for a bit before going to sleep. He is quite literally on top of the highest sticks just about ALL day with very few exceptions.

That's all I got and I seriously hope this is normal behavior lol I mean, I don't see an issue with it. He's not closing his eyes and he seems to just be doing it be choice.

Beman always starts moving down around 4:30 to his spot. He sits there until the misting goes off again and then he drinks while sitting in the mist. Then moves over to his favorite branch and chills until 6:30 when my lights go off.

Beman always starts moving down around 4:30 to his spot. He sits there until the misting goes off again and then he drinks while sitting in the mist. Then moves over to his favorite branch and chills until 6:30 when my lights go off.
They’re like little old people with their rigid routines

Interesting. I have never seen Spike drink. At all. So you have your mister start with the lights on still?

I am doing this:

7:00pm - all lights off
7:30pm - mist for 2 mins
1:00am - mist for 2 mins + fogger turns on
6:00am - fogger turns off
6:30am - mist for 2 mins
7:00am - all lights on

Do you think I should adjust this? Again, I have never seen him drink. So I feel his hydration is fine. But I'm curious if I should be doing it a little differently.

Interesting. I have never seen Spike drink. At all. So you have your mister start with the lights on still?

I am doing this:

7:00pm - all lights off
7:30pm - mist for 2 mins
1:00am - mist for 2 mins + fogger turns on
6:00am - fogger turns off
6:30am - mist for 2 mins
7:00am - all lights on

Do you think I should adjust this? Again, I have never seen him drink. So I feel his hydration is fine. But I'm curious if I should be doing it a little differently.
Yes Beman has always liked to not only be in his mist but to drink... even when I used to fog. So I have always run a misting session 15 minutes after UVB kicks on then I have one at 4:30pm and then at 5:30pm with another one at 10pm. He hardly ever drinks or gets in the mist in the morning but he almost always does for the afternoon sessions and this is when he will clean his eyes every once in awhile as well. I run a dripper during the day as well and he ignores that lol.

Yes Beman has always liked to not only be in his mist but to drink... even when I used to fog. So I have always run a misting session 15 minutes after UVB kicks on then I have one at 4:30pm and then at 5:30pm with another one at 10pm. He hardly ever drinks or gets in the mist in the morning but he almost always does for the afternoon sessions and this is when he will clean his eyes every once in awhile as well. I run a dripper during the day as well and he ignores that lol.
Wow thats really cool. Spike HATES water touching him lol. When the mister went off today he retreated to his resting area immediately. Where it doesn't touch him.

About a week ago, I was moving the dripper to another plant that was close to his resting area (while he was in that resting area) and it dripped on him a couple of times. He peeked his head out and started turning orange lmao He seemed so mad. I moved it away from him, but he still moved away, then eventually went back there before he went to sleep. Poor guy lol

Wow thats really cool. Spike HATES water touching him lol. When the mister went off today he retreated to his resting area immediately. Where it doesn't touch him.

About a week ago, I was moving the dripper to another plant that was close to his resting area (while he was in that resting area) and it dripped on him a couple of times. He peeked his head out and started turning orange lmao He seemed so mad. I moved it away from him, but he still moved away, then eventually went back there before he went to sleep. Poor guy lol
I’ve had beagles for 20+ years and even though they’re all dogs of the same breed and have been trained in the same way, in the same environment, I’ve gotten vastly different outcomes every time! They all have such unique quirks and personalities. Similarly, if I raised veiled chameleons for 20 years I would say the same thing. Beman has already experienced this in just over 5 years!

I’ve had beagles for 20+ years and even though they’re all dogs of the same breed and have been trained in the same way, in the same environment, I’ve gotten vastly different outcomes every time! They all have such unique quirks and personalities. Similarly, if I raised veiled chameleons for 20 years I would say the same thing. Beman has already experienced this in just over 5 years!
Yeah at the end of the day they're living beings, not robots! haha. I have to constantly remind myself of that and get myself on the level with chameleons that I am with dogs. It shouldn't take too long lol My dog has an extremely unique personality, habits, etc. Observing Spike so much while I'm at work has really helped see him acting in unique ways.

Like his eating habits for instance. Silkworms were his favorite food until he came to me. The first few days he destroyed his silks instantly! Then once his BSFL and crickets came in he wont touch them.

And now I've got probably over 100 silk worms I'm taking care of just to take care of because the only time he's really eaten any was yesterday when a cricket got loose and actually landed on one of the silks on the branch. He got excited and ate them both on 1 shot lol

Yeah Beman has always enjoyed water even when he was younger. But I also ran sessions first thing in the morning and then in the evening for him then too. Maybe he just got used to it and that is why he likes it so much now. I did notice that with another one I had he hated the mist at first. Took him a good month or so before he would hang out in it. Then my third male would never get in the direct path of the mist. But he would come out after it and drink.

Yeah Beman has always enjoyed water even when he was younger. But I also ran sessions first thing in the morning and then in the evening for him then too. Maybe he just got used to it and that is why he likes it so much now. I did notice that with another one I had he hated the mist at first. Took him a good month or so before he would hang out in it. Then my third male would never get in the direct path of the mist. But he would come out after it and drink.
That's so interesting. They definitely all have their own individual personalities. :ROFLMAO:

When I had my veiled she would drink from leaves but she also ran away from the mister

That's so interesting. They definitely all have their own individual personalities. :ROFLMAO:

When I had my veiled she would drink from leaves but she also ran away from the mister
You know one thing I think that is a big difference also is big box babies I do not think get the same experience of an auto misting system. So they react a bit more frightened. Most breeders have all their babies on misting systems. I have seen this also with chams that were raised with hand misting then are put on auto misting. They get used to the human with the bottle and know it is coming so the auto mister takes time to understand.

Back
Top Bottom