What do you all think of this?

Hey I appreciate that, I was thinking, I hope ginger doesnt think I'm stealing her video idea. I just figured it'd be the best way to share info with people. Most of us would rather see how something is done in action rather than read a block of text haha.

ha! I think the same thing and that's kept me from making videos of some of the enclosure builds.

That's exactly why I started making videos. My hands were getting tired writing novels haha. I'm excited to see more and more people starting to make chameleon related videos. As long as they are accurate, I say the more the merrier. The issue is when people start making videos that have incorrect info because then they are just adding to the problem :/

Exactly my feelings, and when people make videos, many newbs just assume the person knows what they're talking about.

I'd be very interested to see the level of care and requirements to raise my own feeders I'm very lucky that the keeper of my Chameleons brother , is my bug dealer lol they handle raising most of my silks and I am eternally grateful

I think itd be helpful to include your method for feeding them off as well!

I tried grabbing a couple discoids just with tongs this morning to see if I could get Martin to try them and those little guys are pretty quick. It took me a good couple minutes.

I cant imagine how much I'll struggle trying to grab a red runner once they get here lol

I tried grabbing a couple discoids just with tongs this morning to see if I could get Martin to try them and those little guys are pretty quick. It took me a good couple minutes.

I cant imagine how much I'll struggle trying to grab a red runner once they get here lol

Good idea, roaches are tough to grab with tongs. I usually use my hands these days(got used to it lol, of course I obsessively wash my hands). The runners are too fast for tongs, set a paper towel roll in with them and then smack it down into the feeder bowl.

I have hay fever and slightly worried about having allergic reaction to keeping a colony of dubia roaches, the dust apparently can be a trigger ?

Its mainly tree pollen, mold and dust and cats for me although grass and flowers are fine with normal anti histamine, just dont know how these may effect me and if that dashes me having colonies of any feeders hope not.

that would be incredibly helpful. we've just started breeding crickets, roaches and the first batch of hornworm adults will emerge soon, then to lay eggs. so far, the crickets are the least successful and i'd love nothing more than to improve my husbandry for all of these insects and perhaps add silkworms to the mix for our cham's dining pleasure!

that would be incredibly helpful. we've just started breeding crickets, roaches and the first batch of hornworm adults will emerge soon, then to lay eggs. so far, the crickets are the least successful and i'd love nothing more than to improve my husbandry for all of these insects and perhaps add silkworms to the mix for our cham's dining pleasure!
I'm about to try silkworm breeding. I'm super excited but also nervous. I'm just waiting on my first batch to come in and make sure my guy likes them

Good luck with the tongs on red runners. They make the discoids seem like snails in comparison. They can jump a little also???

Good luck with the tongs on red runners. They make the discoids seem like snails in comparison. They can jump a little also???
Oh hell that is terrifying lol. I might have to take the bin outside to open it - a little worried about infestation risk even though I've heard it's pretty uncommon

I'm about to try silkworm breeding. I'm super excited but also nervous. I'm just waiting on my first batch to come in and make sure my guy likes them
If I had the time and space I would love to try silkworm breeding. Maybe one day...

I've heard chams tend to love silkies - and that was the case for mine as well while I had them

I have hay fever and slightly worried about having allergic reaction to keeping a colony of dubia roaches, the dust apparently can be a trigger ?

Yup roaches can cause allergies. I'm lucky so far to not have any(knocks on wood), but I wear a respirator and gloves if I'm cleaning. It might help to have a hepa filter, maybe some air purifying plants in the room as well. All that said regarding roaches, I think it is possible with crickets and really anything else with excessive dust frass.

Oh hell that is terrifying lol. I might have to take the bin outside to open it - a little worried about infestation risk even though I've heard it's pretty uncommon

Lol yeah red runners are wild, that's why chams like them. They do need a moisture source for their ooths to hatch. If you have a damp basement be careful. Even then the chance is low, I've known people to drop a bin full and they eventually all died off.

Reactions: ajs
Yup roaches can cause allergies. I'm lucky so far to not have any(knocks on wood), but I wear a respirator and gloves if I'm cleaning. It might help to have a hepa filter, maybe some air purifying plants in the room as well. All that said regarding roaches, I think it is possible with crickets and really anything else with excessive dust frass.
Oh yeah man, it sucks! Thanks for the tip about the mask, I didn't even think about that.

Back
Top Bottom