We're new but we think he's VERY SICK

chlaws17

Flap neck? Male, less than a year old. We've had him about 4 weeks.
Handling- We probably handle him too much. Every other day. More since he's been acting differently.
Feeding - a few guy loaded crickets and meal worms a few times a week. Usually in the morning.
Supplements - We haven't been dusting the feeders.
Watering - we have a dripping from a cup with a pinhole in it. A full cup a day. Sometimes 2. We haven't misted. Lately he seemed dehydrated so we've taken him to the sink on shower setting or take a dropper and he drinks from them.
Fecal Description - today it was yellow and watery. Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. we haven't tested him for parasites since we've had him.
History - the guy from the pet store said they were wild caught

Cage Info:

Cage Type - started as a 20 gallon glass tank screen top. Just moved him to a case that is 6 ft tall and 2 feet wide
I don't know the brand but we have a purple heat light on the top of the cage that we've left on since we got him. (After reading I realize that we should turn it off at night, we were just afraid of them getting cold)
Temperature - we keep the heating lamp on one side and an open area on the other side. We haven't measured the temperature. It stays around 68 in our house but the cage is generally warmer.
Humidity - I'm not sure of these. We keep moss in the bottom but it doesn't feel very humid. Although the ground tends to stay damp from the water.
Plants - all the plants are fake. Branches are from our backyard but we baked them in the oven to kill parasites. Placement - we keep it near a window to get sunlight. But I'm not sure how much they are getting. Low traffic area, the closest vent is probably a foot Away on the floor. it sits a couple feet off the ground.
Location - SoutherN KY

Current Problem - Today he has kept his eyes closed. Barely has moved from one spot. Couldn't get him to eat. He did drink a good amount of water but we've been intentional in keeping him watered daily as of late. When he did walk he stumbled, not able to grasp very well. We gave him a warm shower which he usually responds well to but he just feebly tried to get away. We tried warming him up but it didn't seem to effect him. He hasn't moved from one spot in the past 6 hours and his eyes are still closed. There aren't any vets in our area who treat reptiles, the pet store that sells them is brand new. I've attached a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 177
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

First off, if he is a WC, how did you come to the conclusion he is less than a year old?

Okay, now for husbandry concerns. 68 degrees is not a good temp for dilepis. You will want a basking temp around 85-90F. They like it warm. The ambient temp should be around 80. Also, a cool down at night is necessary for good health. 68 degrees at night would actually be a nice nightly temp. So don't keep a heat lamp on at night if not necessary. Plus, you need to get him in a screen cage soon. The circulation for this species is imperative due to the temps it likes and glass not being a great option for chameleons that are not montane.

A dripper is not near enough for hydration. You need to mist heavily. The chameleon above is not in good shape at all. Being a WC, he could have a large parasitic load. The stress imports endure through the whole process of being collected, held, shipped, etc., can weaken the immune system thus allowing parasites to run rampant. The stool you mentioned is a definite sign of dehydration. You really need to hydrate...I can't stress that enough. That is the biggest killer of chameleons IMO. Set a large plant up in your shower, turn the water on to a luke warm temp and aim it at the wall. Let the mist bounce off the wall and hit the plant. Leave him like this for a while and let him drink. A mistking is a sound investment when getting into this hobby.

His stool being runny is another sign of parasitic involvement. A round of panacur or flagyl may be necessary, but I do not recommend that at the time. Your biggest priority should be to get him in a proper setup and hydrated. Then make the next move.

I asked about how you knew his age above. You may very well have bought an old animal. The fact that he was WC and he gave you a timeline of age is a big flashing light for me. Unless he got them in as juveniles. But, considering that the majority of the dilepis that I have seen were imported from Tanzania primarily could mean that this animal hasn't been properly cared for since the last shipment which was last year.(I don't remember the exact date but could get it). Now there were some dilepis brought in from Mozambique last month, but they were a blue eared variety. This one doesn't strike me as that variety.

Could you please post more pics? That really helps.

First off, if he is a WC, how did you come to the conclusion he is less than a year old?

Okay, now for husbandry concerns. 68 degrees is not a good temp for dilepis. You will want a basking temp around 85-90F. They like it warm. The ambient temp should be around 80. Also, a cool down at night is necessary for good health. 68 degrees at night would actually be a nice nightly temp. So don't keep a heat lamp on at night if not necessary. Plus, you need to get him in a screen cage soon. The circulation for this species is imperative due to the temps it likes and glass not being a great option for chameleons that are not montane.

A dripper is not near enough for hydration. You need to mist heavily. The chameleon above is not in good shape at all. Being a WC, he could have a large parasitic load. The stress imports endure through the whole process of being collected, held, shipped, etc., can weaken the immune system thus allowing parasites to run rampant. The stool you mentioned is a definite sign of dehydration. You really need to hydrate...I can't stress that enough. That is the biggest killer of chameleons IMO. Set a large plant up in your shower, turn the water on to a luke warm temp and aim it at the wall. Let the mist bounce off the wall and hit the plant. Leave him like this for a while and let him drink. A mistking is a sound investment when getting into this hobby.

His stool being runny is another sign of parasitic involvement. A round of panacur or flagyl may be necessary, but I do not recommend that at the time. Your biggest priority should be to get him in a proper setup and hydrated. Then make the next move.

I asked about how you knew his age above. You may very well have bought an old animal. The fact that he was WC and he gave you a timeline of age is a big flashing light for me. Unless he got them in as juveniles. But, considering that the majority of the dilepis that I have seen were imported from Tanzania primarily could mean that this animal hasn't been properly cared for since the last shipment which was last year.(I don't remember the exact date but could get it). Now there were some dilepis brought in from Mozambique last month, but they were a blue eared variety. This one doesn't strike me as that variety.

The age is what the pet store owner told us.
We've been watering him via shower and and using a dropper at his mouth. He's taken in a good amount of water but we are still watering him. We put him in the shower but he just crawls around and lays down with his head on a leaf. He didn't really drink. Should we try to feed him? we will add more screens and basking lights to his new enclosure. The picture is of him in the shower.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 116
IMG_2198.JPG IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

Wow. He is gorgeous. I want one . Yes change your methods read the above people they are so helpful. It's like anything before getting into any hobby .
Read as much as you can . Spare no expenses they deserve the best in husbandry.(y) You have a special Chameleon there.

Back
Top Bottom