Wellness Vet Visit - Always?

jshaffer740

Hi everyone,

What is the current thinking related to wellness checkups. For a new chameleon, captive-breed, sourced from a reputable breeder, is a "wellness" visit within the first weeks of ownership recommended? I know the primary purpose would be to test for worms, I'm just not sure of the likelihood of worms based on the source.

I'm trying to weigh the benefits against the stress that this would probably cause a new cham.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks,
Jason

Hi everyone,

What is the current thinking related to wellness checkups. For a new chameleon, captive-breed, sourced from a reputable breeder, is a "wellness" visit within the first weeks of ownership recommended? I know the primary purpose would be to test for worms, I'm just not sure of the likelihood of worms based on the source.

I'm trying to weigh the benefits against the stress that this would probably cause a new cham.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks,
Jason

If it is CB from a reputable breeder and appears healthy I do not do a wellness visit, as vet visits can cause a lot of stress. My vet will do fecal exams for parasites sight unseen (just bring in some fresh poop). That is my recommendation. :D Good luck!

If it is CB from a reputable breeder and appears healthy I do not do a wellness visit, as vet visits can cause a lot of stress. My vet will do fecal exams for parasites sight unseen (just bring in some fresh poop). That is my recommendation. :D Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation! That's what I was leaning towards. Now I'll have to be on poop patrol.

Interesting. I just called a local vet who deals with reptiles, and explained that I just wanted to do a fecal. The receptionist on the phone acted like it was the strangest thing she has ever heard :S. She said they recommended bringing the chameleon in for a full check up now, and then once a year.

Is this true? Or is she leaning me down this path due to an increased fee...?

Im thinking fee.

I dont do wellness checks.

Vet visits are expensive enough when you have a cham with a health issue. Best to save and wait.

Especially if you have alot of them..

If i feel something is wrong, we go to the vet... but I dont do wellness checks unless i feel smething is up.

THough i do recommend fecal tests at least once a year if not twice.. just to check, as they can get parasites from our feeders.

But most vets dont require you to bring the animal in for this.. only if they test posi for something.

Im thinking fee.

I dont do wellness checks.

Vet visits are expensive enough when you have a cham with a health issue. Best to save and wait.

Especially if you have alot of them..

If i feel something is wrong, we go to the vet... but I dont do wellness checks unless i feel smething is up.

THough i do recommend fecal tests at least once a year if not twice.. just to check, as they can get parasites from our feeders.

But most vets dont require you to bring the animal in for this.. only if they test posi for something.

Thanks for the response! It helps to have some backup :D

I would recommend a yearly checkup, but as stated, at first I would want to do a fecal. Yearly checkups can be helpful in A) getting to know your vet, and making sure you are comfortable with them B) catching possible issues that may not be visible C)Piece of mind!
If you think of the amount of visits that you will make over a chameleons lifetime, you would not be breaking the bank for wellness checks. It could save you money in the long run.

(Plus I would love to see the usual dog and cat owners looking to see "What you got in there?" :rolleyes::D)

I'm leaning towards no routine healthy checks and doing yearly fecal exams. I think vet visits are way too stressful. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Unless you're having a problem of some sort the fecal should be enough of an exam.

I do however believe you should do some research and find a reputable vet with Chameleon experience. Just about any vet can do a fecal exam but when something really goes bad you want a vet who has Chameleon experience.

Just my opinion, others will vary.

Haha I love this forum - there is never one "right" answer - and that is as it should be! :D

I will definitely do the fecal for now, and give Abe some more time to become acclimated to his new home before making any decisions regarding a vet visit. I did look for a vet, and found one affiliated with ARAV close to me. Is this helpful? I did call to see if they treat chameleons, and the answer was yes.

Are there any good questions to ask a vet, that can help determine his or her experience and qualifications?

I didn thave to ask questions of my vet.. THey asked me.. all about my husbandry etc.

They approved of my care, and thats how I knew they knew what they were doing.

Haha I love this forum - there is never one "right" answer - and that is as it should be! :D

I will definitely do the fecal for now, and give Abe some more time to become acclimated to his new home before making any decisions regarding a vet visit. I did look for a vet, and found one affiliated with ARAV close to me. Is this helpful? I did call to see if they treat chameleons, and the answer was yes.

Are there any good questions to ask a vet, that can help determine his or her experience and qualifications?

I didn thave to ask questions of my vet.. THey asked me.. all about my husbandry etc.

They approved of my care, and thats how I knew they knew what they were doing.

Ha, See, there is one right answer right there :D!

Back
Top Bottom