Well chuffed!

thomas041

I have just setup a I.P camera so I can watch over my new baby from my work computer. It took a bit of configuring but I have done it. Its so cool I can look over my little guy when he gets here on saturday. It is probably a bit geekie but sod it, the wonders of technology.

I do have a question about the temperature of the viv at night, there is no heat mat or anything but it gets down to about 60-65 degrees F. I know this is fine for now as its early winter but what about when its get colder?

Has anyone got a standby heat source and would they recommend getting one.

Woah! thats pretty cold for the chameleon. Same time it should drop pretty much at night for the digestation. But 60 is low, try getting it up above 20 C (68+)!

I think it can depend on species. I've had no problem with a panther (warmer climate cham) and a Jackson's (cool montane species) at ambient household nighttime temperatures in Michigan (60; no lower). I've had the panther 4 years now, since he was 3 months old, and he was 5-9 months old for the colder weather. I know veiled owners who have also successfully kept chams at nighttime temps of 60 (again, I wouldn't go below).

Chamcam

I have called the website CHAMCAM and watching a tank with no chamelean it as week speak, a bit daft really. I live in the uk and it can drop a little below 60, I do have a heatmat on stanby but no thermostat so I have to monitor the temperature closely........VERY CLOSELY MIND...................
I do have a list of question for the breeder tomorrow and he wills confirm if I need to switch the heatmat on at night, but I expect that will effect the chameleon shutdown mechanism and deep sleep which they need aswell as the digestion and metabilism.

Wish me luck............maybe when I get a months into the chameleon keeping game I can give some advice as you have given me.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

How big is the tank and does it have any ventalation? you should Buy/Build a cage at least 3ft tall

BTW... do you have a link:D

Back
Top Bottom