Water for Misters

ChamDuke

Hey all, I was just wondering if bottled spring water like Poland Springs or something similar was considered the best type of water to use? Because I know to lengthen the life of your mister you should use distilled water or water that has been through reverse osmosis (RO) and I THINK this type of water fits that criteria. Just checking. Thank you!

Bottled waters are better than tap water for your chameleon, but if you're looking to keep your misters clean, bottled waters still have a lot of minerals in them. I'd suggest buying some distilled or reverse osmosis water. Depending how much water you go through, it may be better in the long run to just buy a filtration set up and not have to worry about buying water and lugging it home all the time.

To anyone that could help out (some more questions lol):

- Where do I buy distilled water? How about Reverse Osmosis water? What would package/it look like?
- Isn't that type of filtration system bulky and expensive?
- Do you have any suggestions on what kind/model to get?
- Do a lot of chameleon owners do this?

Thank you for your help.

:confused:

Last edited:
To anyone that could help out (some more questions lol):

- Where do I buy distilled water? How about Reverse Osmosis water? What would package/it look like?
- Isn't that type of filtration system bulky and expensive?
- Do you have any suggestions on what kind/model to get?
- Do a lot of chameleon owners do this?

Thank you for your help.

:confused:

I'm fairly sure that you can buy gallon jugs of distilled water at the grocery store. Unfortunately I'm on the opposite coast so I don't know exactly what's available in your area. Here you can actually go to a "water store" and buy 1, 5, 10, + gallon jugs of water. I don't think there is fancy packaging.. just a clear jug with a label that says "distilled water" or "reverse osmosis water".
Reverse Osmosis systems start around $200 I believe. I know some people that have bought cheap systems from Home Depot or Costco and end up having to buy really expensive filters or are not satisfied with system's performance. You want to be sure that you are getting a good quality system and that the replacement filters are a reasonable price.
Because the set up is not cheap, I recommend this if you use a lot of water. For example, we mist 9 chameleons for about an hour total everyday, plus we drink the reverse osmosis water and use it in cooking. If you are just misting one or two chameleons and won't be using the filtered water for your own consumption, its probably easier and cheaper to buy it water the store.
As for how many cham owner do this...... you'd have to conduct a poll! I have no clue how many use distilled/RO water but I see it mentioned on here quite a bit.

I use distilled water in mine, I can buy it at the local food lion for 3 bucks for a 2 gallon jug. I mist 2 chams a day a total of 8 minutes a day and there urates are always white. I use a screw driver to poke a hole in the jug and pull straight from it.

I use distilled water and I buy the big blue jugs (meant for water coolers) from the grocery store. One jug will last over a month for one chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom