Water bowl

So I bought a bigger cage for my chameleon a 24x24x48 cage i am take the risk of putting a male and female together and hopefully they will get along, and the other day i went to petco and asked why they had bowls full of water if chameleons normally dont drink from bowls and they guy told me its because chameleons go down there and shower and at the same time they drink water, so i got a bowl from a cousin that i could fill with some water and leave it for them to shower, but i wanted to know if this is really true?

Not a good idea, and not a good idea housing the two together. Please read the caresheets!

ok thank you, another question so i most likely will get her new cage tomorrow and i will try to decor it tomorrow but i dont know how to change my chameleon to the new home she wont let me handle her, i tried to get her out to clean her cage but she would try to bite me any advises yall can give me?

Hi there,

First of all the employees of petco/petsmart or any equivalent store have very little knowledge of Chameleon husbandry. On the note of a water bowl your intuition was correct chameleons do not bathe in bowls of water and drink. They are in need of misting to accomplish their water needs, they drink from leaves and or the screen in captive situations.

On the note of keeping a male and female together it will not work and my recommendation as well as many other members here will agree to not do this. At young ages (Birth to 3-4 months) they can be housed together. Other than that it will stress them too much. Please consider their well being and get another cage.

the one that i have right now its about 2 to 3 months i would say and the wantim trying to get its about the same age too would that be better if not i guess she will have a huge cage for herself. thank you so much for the advises
Hi there,

First of all the employees of petco/petsmart or any equivalent store have very little knowledge of Chameleon husbandry. On the note of a water bowl your intuition was correct chameleons do not bathe in bowls of water and drink. They are in need of misting to accomplish their water needs, they drink from leaves and or the screen in captive situations.

On the note of keeping a male and female together it will not work and my recommendation as well as many other members here will agree to not do this. At young ages (Birth to 3-4 months) they can be housed together. Other than that it will stress them too much. Please consider their well being and get another cage.

Its just i have seen many people And read about people that keeps both chameleons together so i wanted to try that but if you all say it's not good I wont try, thanks

Its just i have seen many people And read about people that keeps both chameleons together so i wanted to try that but if you all say it's not good I wont try, thanks
You'd need a room size enclosure to house em together so you're probably better off housing them seperated.

People that house em together probably didnt have em very long and just don't see the signs. They don't have to be physically agressive, the lesser dominant one will be under continuous stress and will eventually get sick and die.

Keeping the two together is like always being around a bully. You may survive but it sucks and is stressful. If they seem to be ok, thats because the female is avoiding the male. I.E. The basking area, the water dripper, etc. I removed a female at a pet shop in this situation. Skinny and severely dehydrated. I used to work at the pet shop and after I gave several employees and the owner beck for not noticing the problem, I grabbed a cage and the cham and took her home. She died that night. I was too late.

I've Known of people during a bowl with an aquarium air stone. They will occasionally drink from it but this is the equivalent of the fountains... No good. They do however increase the humidity. This is good. I have no problem with humidity or dehydration so I've never bothered. Looking back, a shallow dish may have been good for that cham i tried to rehab. She was too week to drink even if she wanted to but extra humidity might help. 20+ years ago many pet she used this method knowing their employee s would likely miss spraying them. Today many use those darn fountains.

Hello!

Personally, i house my chameleons together.. i got 2 female and 1 male BUT! they are melleri (so they are mating and laying 1 time a year sometime every 2 year.. and they are freeranged in a big room with lot of space, lot of differents basking and uvb spots and lots of "chilling zone" (and lot of feeding cup)... despite that.. sometime i have to separate them, sometime they fight (more a "get away from my place fight".. nothing agressive but still they need privacy).

Melleri female are bigger than melleri male so if male want sex.. he have to be patient.. (despite that.. last year i separated my freerange in two because my male was too insistant) with panther if male want sex.. he might try to dominate and rape and this is really stressful for a chameleon and can short the lifespan. Also, housed together is a stress close to the laying period.. she can refuse to lay the eggs and this is a death sentence.

Also, if they are too close, sometime they can catch a prey in the same time (lead to tongue injury) of thief food in the others mouth (lead to a fight or stress)

So stay aware, do it only if you got a clear and solid experience with chameleon (housing, mating and breeding), keep a cage not far and ready in case of problem, provide a xxxxl enclosure and give everything twice (2 basking, uvb for 2, food for 2, bedding spot for two and water for two)

and :) good feeling about the bowl.. petco are serial chameleon killer anyway ;)

Always come in from below if they dont walk onto your hand try nudging their behind foward. It may take few mins but worth shot.. coming from above always gets a puffy fear response

Hey guys I put their cage together, and they ar eboth sleeping there the Male I bought today was really friendly and let me handle him and the female it took me a while but she got on my hands, I decided to go with them two together and if something happens I have an extra small cage just in case, thank you so much for the advices

Irresponsible and dumb and not acting in the best interest of your animals, that's my opinion... Well it's more like a fact given the advise provided above.

But maybe we weren't clear enough so once more...
These animals are STRICTLY SOLIARY and don't tolerate eachother.
Nothing obvious will have to happen and you will not notice that things are wrong since these animals are very good in hiding their weaknesses.

You're sending the female down a long and stressful path of degredation until she'll eventually gets sick and dies.

Nothing you say or do in that size enclosure can make this an acceptable decision. It's a selfish decision, they are animals, not an experiment.

Hey man i know your gonna do what ever you want but at least seperate them until your home and you can witness them interacting if your at work and they are stuck in a cage i dont care if it is a 2x2x4 your felame could fall in a desprite attemt to get away from the male theres a ton of issues if you insist on doing it fine but at least give it to your chams to be there to super ise them for the firat few days or so and then if ypu still feel the need then do it but youve been warned, i hope the best though for you! just keep your pets health and well being in mind.

I put a divider in the middle of the cage guys, they just "share" the cage I am getting another one I mean if something happens like the divider wont ayay I will put the guy away in the small one until the new cage comes in

I put a divider in the middle of the cage guys, they just "share" the cage I am getting another one I mean if something happens like the divider wont ayay I will put the guy away in the small one until the new cage comes in
Well then just say so... :cautious:
Just make sure they can't see eachother when seperated, chameleons are really... Ehm... difficult like that.

Back
Top Bottom