Drinking water from bowl

Ben28tx

I’ve spend money and think the chameleons really enjoys the chameleon waterfall fountain machine I got them a few years back. But it’s so hot outside along w the misting schedule, I put a bowl of water outside and I’ve always known because I’ve read it here in This Awesome website but now I’ve seen it w my own two eyes. They are capable of the knowledge to drink from a water bowl

I’ve spend money and think the chameleons really enjoys the chameleon waterfall fountain machine I got them a few years back. But it’s so hot outside along w the misting schedule, I put a bowl of water outside and I’ve always known because I’ve read it here in This Awesome website but now I’ve seen it w my own two eyes. They are capable of the knowledge to drink from a water bowl
So your chameleon drank from still water?

I wouldn't recommend waterfalls because they are a bacteria breeding ground.

If you could may you please send a picture of your chameleon so I can know if it's dehydrated.

From my understanding, it's never been a lack of knowledge for them to drink from standing water. They will do it if they have to (typically drinking from drops on a leaf for instance). It's more of: They should really never need to drink from standing water. With a little supplementation here or there (during a dry season) being an exception.

The waterfall fountain machine is likely dangerous. If it is recycling water, you are putting your chameleon in harms way of bacteria that can make him really sick. Maybe you happen to have some waterfall system that does NOT recycle water. That may be an exception, if that is the case. But in general, if your chameleon IS drinking water that way, then they are likely not getting the proper hydration they should be getting at night, while they are sleeping.

Drinking from still water like that, it is likely a last resort for them as in the wild it would likely put them in danger to go down to the ground just to hydrate.

I don't know your setup, or anything like that so it's all speculative, based on what I've learned. But this is where I am. Maybe look into your numbers and setup and just make sure your chameleon is getting the proper hydration.

From my understanding, it's never been a lack of knowledge for them to drink from standing water. They will do it if they have to (typically drinking from drops on a leaf for instance). It's more of: They should really never need to drink from standing water. With a little supplementation here or there (during a dry season) being an exception.

The waterfall fountain machine is likely dangerous. If it is recycling water, you are putting your chameleon in harms way of bacteria that can make him really sick. Maybe you happen to have some waterfall system that does NOT recycle water. That may be an exception, if that is the case. But in general, if your chameleon IS drinking water that way, then they are likely not getting the proper hydration they should be getting at night, while they are sleeping.

Drinking from still water like that, it is likely a last resort for them as in the wild it would likely put them in danger to go down to the ground just to hydrate.

I don't know your setup, or anything like that so it's all speculative, based on what I've learned. But this is where I am. Maybe look into your numbers and setup and just make sure your chameleon is getting the proper hydration.
That's what I was saying

Personally I think they drink from bowls out of desperation not out of desire. If that is how you water and that is their only option rather than misting or a dripper they become desperate to go after water any way they can. To me it is no different than a stray cat drinking water from the gutter because they have no other option.

Personally I think they drink from bowls out of desperation not out of desire. If that is how you water and that is their only option rather than misting or a dripper they become desperate to go after water any way they can. To me it is no different than a stray cat drinking water from the gutter because they have no other option.
That's what I was thinking

So your chameleon drank from still water?

I wouldn't recommend waterfalls because they are a bacteria breeding ground.

If you could may you please send a picture of your chameleon so I can know if it's dehydrated.
At work now
But no need for pic
When he’s in his 4x4x6 outside cage he gets misting and I give him extra water cus it’s hot and indoor he has the water bowl and the fountain but I haven’t used the fountain in a Lil while. Ty tho

I’ll stop the fountain
It never got ugly or nasty tho
But ya they haven’t used it in while but when I had an apt they did

I’ll stop the fountain
It never got ugly or nasty tho
But ya they haven’t used it in while but when I had an apt they did
Yeah its not worth it IMO. The bacteria will kill the chameleon faster than dehydration. Even if you don't SEE something in the water, that really doesn't matter. The germs are there and we need to keep that in mind. Don't want your chameleon getting sick! I would definitely check the hydration schedule though and check his poop. Make sure he is getting hydrated well.

Here's a link to a podcast on this topic ...
Check out "Should Chameleons Drink From Water Cups?" via web:

I love bill strand. I bought one of his babies once.
Yea like I said the water cups was cus he’s indoors sometimes cuz it’s too hot during afternoon lately. But it was cool seeing him actually doing it.
Let’s me know when he HAS to be inside that he still gets the water he needs

Back
Top Bottom