Was it choking?

Jingi

Hi!
I went to fed my male veiled. My feeder was a medium size Chorthippus parallelus . He ate three smaller ones yesterday, so I thought he was going to be fine. But when I showed him Chorthippus parallelus he suddenly climb lower, head down, opened his mouth as wide he could and began shaking his head. At first, I thought he was choking, but it was really early in the morning (for them) to eat and I haven´t seen him ate anything to that time. I was about to help him, because I believed he was choking, but when I went to grab him, he stopped and act normal. He was still his lime green colour and hasn´t change through whole act, so I was bit confused.
I refused to give him food day, I was so scared he could really choke.
I red an article that substrate, in which -for example -crickets can burried themself, can hurt chameleon. I use cleaned play-sand.
Can you tell what it was?
Thanks!

Doesn't sound like choking to me. In my limited experience a choking cham points its snout straight up and coughs loudly. What you described could be defensive behavior....he changed his color and gaped (a way to look threatening), shook his head (possibly trying to bluff charge) and tried to get farther away from an intruder.

Yes, sand and substrates in a cham's cage can create a choking hazard.

Carlton: He did not change his colours, he also hasn´t made any sound. He continued his act even when I backed away, he ended when I reached to help.
I wished I caught it on camera, but that was the last thing on my mind.

Carlton: He did not change his colours, he also hasn´t made any sound. He continued his act even when I backed away, he ended when I reached to help.
I wished I caught it on camera, but that was the last thing on my mind.
My little girl does this when she's getting ready to shed . She will stretch her mouth really wide then a few whole body shivers to fallow . The next day she will be in a full shed . At first I had no idea why she was doing it thought maybe she was hot . Then I noticed over time she does it every time before a shed . Hope this helps :).

My little girl does this when she's getting ready to shed . She will stretch her mouth really wide then a few whole body shivers to fallow . The next day she will be in a full shed . At first I had no idea why she was doing it thought maybe she was hot . Then I noticed over time she does it every time before a shed . Hope this helps :).

Good call, @Kristen Wilkins! I never thought of that but you could be correct.

I would not use play sand as substrate (or any substrate) for yer chameleon or it's feeders.

Other than that I think @Kristen Wilkins gives a good possibility of what happened, otherwise maybe just something (a leg or w/e) was irritating the back of the throat.
As long as your cham is alright I'd not worry about it for to long, can't count the times that I have had something go down the wrong hole and I'm still alive.

Back
Top Bottom