Vivariums for my johnstoni

biffle

Avid Member
These are the Vivarium’s for my pair of t.johnstoni coming soon.

I tried to mimic the feel in this environment the best I could
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EofYvS9Ql0M

For my female I’m using an Exoterra 60 x 45 x 60 cm / 24” x 18” x 24” (WxDxH). I choose to use the Exoterra SunRay 35W metal Halide lamp for its high output with low heat.

full

I'm using HydroBalls & palm bark to keep the humidity up.
full

I'm using a MistKing with a fish tank heater.
full

full

I added a live hibiscus in a cork bark pot.
full

full

full

full

For my male I'm using a 90 x 45 x 60 cm / 36” x 18” x 24” (WxDxH).
For lighting i have a 34" zoomed t-5 HO & 2 zoomed CFLs. The CFLs are older bulbs used for just visible light. I also have the option to turn on 2 40w clear house bulbs for basking. I'm using an AquaZamp to mist on this setup.

I choose to use lava rock to keep the cost down on this larger foot print. $4.00 @ lowes is much cheaper than $80 in hydroballs.
full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT is how it is done.... You are an artiste! The male's cage may be the nicest looking enclosure I have ever seen. Only to get better when you add one of the world's most beautiful chameleons!

They look good, but maybe a little on the short side for johnstoni... Johnstoni are a larger montane. My adult male is about the size of a adult female xanth.

One other thing.. You will have to treat your johnstoni for parasites when they come in. When treating for parasites, keeping a clean cage is very important. You'll never be able to completely sanitize those enclosures which means its very possible your chameleons could keep picking up any parasites they might have over and over. It would be a never ending battle.

I'd recommend something much simpler for the quarantine period.

That looks amazing!

I would always be afraid of mildew build up with a planted viv, is it really not an issue as long as you keep it clean? I'm really just curious.

That looks amazing!

I would always be afraid of mildew build up with a planted viv, is it really not an issue as long as you keep it clean? I'm really just curious.

Loading a vivarium with tropical springtails will prevent mold, mildew, and bacteria build up. They are little cleaners.

Loading a vivarium with tropical springtails will prevent mold, mildew, and bacteria build up. They are little cleaners.

I did not know this, I was wondering about how one would go about keeping this clean, I would also like to set one up, thanks for the GREAT info :) ( now...where do you get those :p )

I agree w Alex, the only thing with springtails is that unless you use de-chlorinated water it will kill them. At least thats what I have been told by several frog keepers...Good thing I have a 3 stage RO/DI system;)

I agree w Alex, the only thing with springtails is that unless you use de-chlorinated water it will kill them. At least thats what I have been told by several frog keepers...Good thing I have a 3 stage RO/DI system;)

I used tap water for the few vivs i had without issue.. But my water quality is pretty darn good.

Nice job, the males looks pretty fancy!!

Did you figure out a way to deal with the temps? I know you were playing with a cooling device.

Here is a teaser pic of my Johnstonii enclosure. One of these for each cham coming in. I'll start a new thread once I finish with the branches and stuff.

I have springtails in my white's tree frog viv, and I use spring water to be on the safe side. Those little things are awesome.

I think if you can find some that you can put some roly polys in your terrarium as well. They can break down the bigger poops faster than springtails, I believe. Your Cham will eat them too. They are high in chitin though...

That male viv is awesome. Rarely am I really impressed with enclosures posted but this one gets a big thumbs up

Thanks! The male johnstoni that Chris just got was 50 grams and about the size of my 6 month old female panther. I'm assuming that my male would be OK in this setup for about a year. Do you think the 36x24x36 would work long term?

It's time to set up separate quarantine cages anyway. Apparently I have some time to get them set up.

Jason.

They look good, but maybe a little on the short side for johnstoni... Johnstoni are a larger montane. My adult male is about the size of a adult female xanth.

One other thing.. You will have to treat your johnstoni for parasites when they come in. When treating for parasites, keeping a clean cage is very important. You'll never be able to completely sanitize those enclosures which means its very possible your chameleons could keep picking up any parasites they might have over and over. It would be a never ending battle.

I'd recommend something much simpler for the quarantine period.

I've only tested the female cage. I'm finding that with the mistking and the sunray, the cooler is not needed. The cage stays in the low 70s even when the room temp is in the low 80s.

I'm interested if the HO light is as good at evaporative cooling as the sunray is. I'll start checking temps next week in the males cage.

Your cage looks great! I can't wait to get these guys in these awesome cages.

Nice job, the males looks pretty fancy!!

Did you figure out a way to deal with the temps? I know you were playing with a cooling device.

Here is a teaser pic of my Johnstonii enclosure. One of these for each cham coming in. I'll start a new thread once I finish with the branches and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom