Video Follicular Stasis Surgery(warning)

First of all I want to let you know the chameleon came through surgery fine.

We purchased a beautiful male veiled March 16th and the keeper went to her bedroom and brought out this veiled female so taut with eggs she handled like a football. No exaggeration. When you picked her up she was stiff with eggs and her skin was taut. She could not walk, and basically sat in one place all day. She was well cared for, in spite of this. Was pretty well hydrated and fed. She had been this way for months. at one time she had dug a few times, but no eggs. The young girl did not have money for vet care. We bought the female veiled (Phyllis) for $50. Look at that face. Who could refuse?

PHYLLIS PRE SURGERY

phyllispresurgery.jpg

We placed her in a birthing bin for 2 days, just in case. Nothing

We then took her to the vet for X-rays, which showed a mass of eggs. Some appeared to be in tidy rows and oval. This suggested they were (post ovulatory) in the oviducts.

phyllisxray1.jpg

phyllisxray2.jpg

So the vet tried inducing labor with oxytocin. Phyllis went back to the birthing bin. Nothing.

Surgery was next. She had it yesterday. There is a short video with exerpts from the surgery below. I cut it down to a few short minutes. Warning- it's a bit bloody, but mostly you will see the vet and her assistant's hands working above the surgical shroud. Phyllis was given an injection, and then gas. She was then covered with a surgical shroud and the first incisions made. The eggs from left ovary were removed first, then the right. I was not permitted in the room during surgery, so they handled the our digital camera, on a tripod, set on video. I do think an extra assistant came in and actually held the camera so the view would be better, which was a really great thing for them to do. They were all pretty tanked about the surgery. Phyllis won their hearts, too.

In the end it was discovered that all eggs were pre-ovulatory, still in the follicle. The deceptive appearance of rows of oval eggs (in the X-rays) was due to compression inside Phyllis' taught little body. Diagnosis was pre-ovulatory egg-binding, also known as follicular stasis. Below is a photo of just some of the eggs from each ovary- not all. So far, Phyllis appears to be recovering very well. I'm not taking photos of her yet.

phylliseggsboth.jpg

phylliseggs.jpg

CLICK ON THE BLACK BOX BELOW TO VIEW VIDEO ON PHOTOBUCKET. YOU CAN THEN CLICK ON LOWER RIGHT CORNER TO MAXIMIZE IMAGE.

chameleonsnw
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Fantastic!
I wish her a full and successful recovery.
So has she been spayed now (for clarification) ?
What if anything are you giving her for pain during her recovery?

-Brad

Brad, I realized I left out some very important information.

The surgeon was Dr. Laurel Wright, DVM. Spanaway Veterinary Clinic. Assisted by Anne.

Phyllis' weight going in was 196g, coming out was 147g. The eggs taken out weighed 49g!!!

She gets .02cc Metacam once a day, for pain relief, and .07cc of Reptaid. She is receiving force-fed food and water for now. She is up and about and moving about her cage. Her cage has been modified, post surgery, and gauze placed over the door for her privacy.

The doctor said there is a remote possiblity she could produce eggs again. She said this more as a warning, something to beware of, rather than something to anticipate. But I don't understand enough about the physiology to interpret that. The plan was for Phyllis to be spayed. The oviducts were not removed because they were not apparent during surgery. They are a tiny, paper thin, organ when not in use. But all visible egg matter from both ovaries was removed. Which I took to mean both ovaries were removed. So, the more I know, the less I understand, I'm afraid. She did apparently produce several good clutches for a previous owner (not the person we purchased her from). But I don't believe she will produce eggs again.

We intend to keep her as a pet and hope she forgives us for all of this (since she doesn't realize it saved her life) and that she ends up liking us as much as we like her. :eek: I know. It's a reach. But, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Here is Phyllis post op (actually this afternoon). I had her out for some motor movement and she's not too happy. But she's moving around pretty well. Still fat, but it will take sometime for fluids to be absorbed and for her organs to move back into their normal position. She's in for the night now. When I have her out tomorrow I will get photo of her incision area.

phyllispostop2.jpg

phyllispostop.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing! You have sure set an example for all others to follow when it comes to chameleon husbandry. I wish Phyllis the swiftest of recoveries. Thanks for posting this. What a fantastic Vet. I wish I had one locally that was that good.

San

How utterly fascinating.

I was thrilled that they allowed it to be videotaped. In viewing the uncut version I can see that they even, after a few minutes of surgery, had another assistant come in and actually hold the camera over the operation area to get a better view. First class veterinarian.

When I get my other video software working right again I want to try to get some stills. It was really cool watching the vet lift that first mass out of the little girl's belly and hold it in her hand. In the audio you can hear them exclaiming.

How utterly fascinating.

I must agree, that was amazing! Imagine the steady skillful hands that are required to do such an opperation. I wish her and you the best on a speedy recovery. What a lucky cham to have such a loving and caring owner.;)

-Jay

Awesome! Hope all goes well. I also Hope you shook the vets hand! Cant imagine what a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment such surgeries must give him! Well done!

Most Amazing....

Thanks for putting that video in the post. I loved watching the suture process. You can certainly see why her skin was so taut. At least the eggs were still healthy and not turning into a solid mass or getting mushy. Can you post an update on her each day? She looks great post surgery. Will keep her in my prayers :)

Thank you, Catherine. We will post updates.

There was a black goo in the center of one of the egg clusters, which the doctor believed to be decaying yolk and burst egg. One egg burst during surgery as they lay one of the egg clusters on the surgical tray. So, Phyllis was headed downward for sure.

Nevermind i went back and read it again i didn't think they would let you in .i always wondered what that would look like thanks:)

absolutley facinating viewing. poor little girl was lucky to find you and you and the surgeon certainly saved her life.thanks for sharing an incredible journey

All i have to say is WOW! Amazing procedure thank you for sharing. I hope the best for you cham.

How did she handle the Anesthetic? Just the other day i was watching on tv a turtle that was egg bound, they got the eggs out, everything was going well but she didn't make it off of the anesthetic. I guess this can be the most difficult when operating on a reptile because the are so sensitive to such things.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing and good luck...

How did she handle the Anesthetic?

She came off it pretty well. They kept her in a little incubator on towels during recovery. I was back in the recovery room right after surgery and watched as Anne, the surgical assistant, would occasionally reach in and lift up Phyllis to check her and rub her back a few times, I think to stimulate deeper respiration (while Phyllis was still unconscious), and then place her back in the incubator. A lot of very personal attention was given.

Back
Top Bottom