Video Follicular Stasis Surgery(warning)

Are the colors in the first picture her gravid colors? (probably a stupid question, I don't have any experience with gravid Veilds) the pictures I always see are the ones with black bodies and yellow and blue spots.

Out of curiosity, and I hope this isn't an inappropriate question, but going to an experienced reptile vet like yours- what would a procedure like this cost?

Phyllis is a beautiful girl, and a very lucky one! I'm sure she'll have a long and happy life with you!

Are the colors in the first picture her gravid colors? (probably a stupid question, I don't have any experience with gravid Veilds) the pictures I always see are the ones with black bodies and yellow and blue spots.

Out of curiosity, and I hope this isn't an inappropriate question, but going to an experienced reptile vet like yours- what would a procedure like this cost?

In the first photo of her in this thread she is showing her sleeping colors. She just woke up. That photo was taken early in the morning before lights-on. It is actually somewhat similar to a female veiled's receptive coloration. In the post-op photos she is showing more of a gravid coloration, which is also a display coloration which means "leave me alone". Because of her surgery she will be experiencing some hormone fluctuations, and also discomfort. It will be sometime before she comes down to where we get to know her normal everyday colors.

The surgery cost, all told, $520.48. Expenses leading up to the surgery, for exams, X-rays, oxytocin, came to $194. We also paid $50 for Phyllis herself when we purchased her on the 16th. So, you are looking at a $764.48 female veiled chameleon.

Fortunately, for her and for us, this was a matter of the heart. We had the money at this time, and so it didn't have to be a question of "can we do this". We are thankful that it came at a time when we were able to say "she's so determined to live- let's do this, it feels like the right thing to do". The alternative, a slow and agonizing death, was simply unthinkable.

We do want to thank our customers for making it possible for us to give Phyllis the future she'd fought so hard for. It also became a learning experience for us and the folks here on the forum, and our vet got some additional surgical experience, as well. This was, actually, her first chameleon surgery, though she has done reptiles before.

AND WE WANT TO THANK EVERYONE HERE FOR THEIR WELL-WISHES AND PRAYERS. I will be adding a photo today of her surgical scar. Phyllis pooped and urated today- news the vet's office was thrilled to receive. The urates were soft and white and the fecal was solid, homogenous, and indicated well-digested meals.

Surgical Incision stitches

The tissue at the incision site is pressed outward when stitched up to avoid future problems during sheddings. She has stitches and also some glueing at the site.

phyllisscar2.jpg

phyllisscar1.jpg

We hope so, too. We should have a good idea in another week or so. Thank you for your support, Dave W. The next big milestone is to get her eating on her own.

ewwwwwwwwwww i cant beleive i watched the video! even tho i learned something doesnt mean it was good to watch! EWWWWWWW! but hope she gets better

It is such a great thing that you helped phyllis through her ruff time. Without you guys Im pretty sure by now she would be dead. I hope that she gets better and recovers fast and without problems. Its pretty awesome they let you video tape lol most vets wont even let you close the the surgery room :p

Phyllis continues to be doing well. She poops and urinates daily, and climbs about her cage. I removed the temporary post-surgery grid from her cage and she is now able to climb more vertical planes like a normal chameleon. Before she was limited to mostly horizontal movement, in and out of a basking area.

Her color is medium green, neither dark nor light, which is good. Her eyes are well-rounded and her grip is strong. I was able to confirm today that she is eating on her own.

Last edited:
That is a really great story, and amazing pictures. Glad to hear she is hanging in there like a real trooper. What do they use for suture?

Phyllis got her stitches out on Wednesday. She's doing great and has gained about 5 grams since the surgery. I put her down on the floor on Tuesday and she took off across the room. It's the first time we've seen her take more than a few steps. She has not been able to move much in a long time because she was so tight with eggs. She is almost ready for a fully vertical cage. There is some concern that her climbing muscles may be a bit weak, so we will be monitoring her closely.

Back
Top Bottom