Leo with follicular stasis

My poor little Tandy. She hasn’t pooped yet. I’ve been giving her warm soaks and very gentle tummy massage but it isn’t working. I got her to lick a small drop of olive oil tonight. Taking her back to local vet in the morning, hoping they can get her to poo. Just found out I’m now out of a job, so if she does need surgery it’s completely impossible for me to afford. So, please who ever may be reading this, say a little prayer that my sweet gentle girl poos.
96BD0B43-FE3E-426D-AC42-0A309108FFBF.jpeg

Hello!

I wouldn't give her pears, their bodies aren't made to digest fruit at all.

My smaller girl had a bad impaction when she was around a year old. Heres what I did:

She got 1-3 drops of mineral oil every other day. Just plain mineral oil, it's clear and doesn't have a taste or smell. Let her be for a while, then give her a warm bath and stroke her stomach with downward motions. Repeat each day until she hopefully, poops.

Dont feed her until she poops. Sometimes impactions loosen and come out over several poops. You don't want to force her to eat food if she's still impacted. She looks very healthy with a nice body weight and tail thickness, so I wouldn't worry about her appetite just yet.

Hopefully these steps will help.

My girl still hadn't poop after the above steps. My guess is it got loosened and it moved down, but then got stuck right in the rectal area. I ripped all of the cotton off a q-tip and put some mineral oil on it. What you do is you insert the tip into the vent a very small amount to try and lubricate the anus to let the impaction come out. This worked like a charm for my girl. She pooped the next day. I personally waited for a second poop until I fed her. Start feeding her slowly, gradually increase the amount.

If you aren't comfortable with doing this then just continue with the bath and mineral oil.

I hope she poops for you. Best of luck.

Fingers crossed. I know they don't really eat fruit but you might want to try some baby food pears to see if it will help.
Good luck.
Thanks Kinyonga. I just dropped her off at vet. I found what appeared to be vomit of the few drops of bsfl slurry she had licked from a syringe. I’m losing hope for her. I’ve almost no money left and
Hello!

I wouldn't give her pears, their bodies aren't made to digest fruit at all.

My smaller girl had a bad impaction when she was around a year old. Heres what I did:

She got 1-3 drops of mineral oil every other day. Just plain mineral oil, it's clear and doesn't have a taste or smell. Let her be for a while, then give her a warm bath and stroke her stomach with downward motions. Repeat each day until she hopefully, poops.

Dont feed her until she poops. Sometimes impactions loosen and come out over several poops. You don't want to force her to eat food if she's still impacted. She looks very healthy with a nice body weight and tail thickness, so I wouldn't worry about her appetite just yet.

Hopefully these steps will help.

My girl still hadn't poop after the above steps. My guess is it got loosened and it moved down, but then got stuck right in the rectal area. I ripped all of the cotton off a q-tip and put some mineral oil on it. What you do is you insert the tip into the vent a very small amount to try and lubricate the anus to let the impaction come out. This worked like a charm for my girl. She pooped the next day. I personally waited for a second poop until I fed her. Start feeding her slowly, gradually increase the amount.

If you aren't comfortable with doing this then just continue with the bath and mineral oil.

I hope she poops for you. Best of luck.
Thanks Ares05. I just heard from the vet. They are sending her home with Lactulose and a motility med (didn’t catch the name). Told me to continue the warm soaks and massage. Said her cloaca looks good - moist & pink. Also said she looks better than she did last Friday when they saw her...breathing much better. I’ll have to pick up some mineral oil when I pick up her meds at the pharmacy.
The pic is an older one from when I first got her. I try not to disturb her for pics and since she’s in same room as my chams, I use minimal light when I do anything with her at night.
I’ll keep this updated as we hopefully make great progress.

I've used them for years...
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-foods-for-constipation
"Pears also contain the sugar alcohol sorbitol. Like fructose, sorbitol is not well absorbed in the body and acts as a natural laxative by bringing water into the intestines"
Many years ago I had a patient we gave sorbitol to as a laxative. The lactulose is usually an awesome laxative...at least for humans. They also gave us Cisapride which helps increase bowel motility. Kind of strange that these are the same meds I had to give my cat who had mega colon many years ago. They always worked for him...hoping they work for Tandy.

You can do it Tandy! How about hornworms? They sure loosen things up for my guys, and since they are so high in moisute content, maybe she can absorb some of the nutrients? Silkworms dont seem to have the same effect as hornworms.

Im sorry to hear about work. Its a frightening time right now.

You can do it Tandy! How about hornworms? They sure loosen things up for my guys, and since they are so high in moisute content, maybe she can absorb some of the nutrients? Silkworms dont seem to have the same effect as hornworms.

Im sorry to hear about work. Its a frightening time right now.
Thanks snitz427. She hasn’t eaten anything on her own for almost 2 weeks now, or I’d get her some hornworms. I’ve been mashing up bsfl in a few drops of water and she’s licked it from a syringe, but the past few days she isn’t able to hold it down. Right now all I’m giving her is the meds. The vet advised against adding any extra to her digestive system. She’s being so sweet during all of this. She click-chirps at me but not one attempt to nip. She almost seemed to enjoy her belly massage earlier...she held very still, gave me good access to her belly and was very relaxed.
Hopefully Monday I’ll find out if I’m able to save my job. If I can, there’s a better chance that I can come up with money for Tandy to have surgery, if she doesn’t poo by then. Trying to stay optimistic.

I hope al goes well with your job...these are definitely hard times for so many people. Stay safe though. Fingers crossed for you and the little gecko.

Just checked on my girl before I went to bed and she was on her way to her bathroom corner. She pooped! Yay! ??? A good solid 1/2” poo pellet! Hoping there’s more to come. I offered her a feeder and she still has no interest, but things are moving in the right direction. I’m so very happy and relieved. Will keep this updated until she’s completely out of the woods. Thanks all for the advice and support.❤ This is the best forum!

So good to hear that! I'm sure it will take time for the rest to move through her and give her an appetite again. Let's hope she will be great again soon!

Time to update. I think my Tandy girl is going to be okay now. I gave her the bowel meds for 3 days and I believe she’s cleaned out now. She still looked pretty round last night and was showing interest in food but wouldn’t eat. She did lick up some bsfl slurry though. Tonight she came out and actually ate! Not looking so round anymore and a bit more active. I’m so very relieved! And I found out I am going back to my job this weekend. Even more relieved! Thanks again for all of the help and support with my sweet Tandy. ?

Back
Top Bottom