Venturing into uncharted territories... for me at least lol ready for some "Kabadi"

djfishygillz

Avid Member
Hello everyone, so I am starting a new sport for fun and to make some extra cash. I am joining a Kabadi team, which is like a combination of wrestling, tag, and red rover lol.

I feel like sharing this because I didn't even know it existed, especially in the bay area, so I feel like sharing it! :)

This is a typically Pakistani, Punjabi sport but it is awesome!

I have wrestling all my life, am a double scholarship athlete for grades and athletics (wrestling) at Menlo College NAIA division. This sport Kabadi is somewhat like wrestling and it will be my first competition tomorrow!

The cool part is I make 150 a day, plus I get free travel, food, liquor. Also once I get better I can make up to a 1000 a day! ;) that is if I get really good though, which is possible.

For those of you now wondering what the heck Kabadi is, this is a video of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9X12kuPu5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVy0tvvQSM

I am so pumped to meet my team, I also have a few of my wrestling buddies going with me! There is also no weight bracket. I weigh about 190 and the typical Kabadi player can be as big as about 220 but up to 300 lol.

I hope someone has some input on this sport or found some interest!

Thanks

Good luck - for me it's like jai alai - fun to watch even though I haven't a clue what's actually going on :D Keep us posted as to how you do, and if you can, have someone post a video of you in action!

What weight did you wrestle in highschool- college? I'm varsity at 152.. :)

174-184 depends on how much I want to cut next year. Sorry for the late response btw lol

I ended up making 200 bucks this weekend for playing, should have been more but whatever it was my first time.

Where do you wrestle at?

Good luck - for me it's like jai alai - fun to watch even though I haven't a clue what's actually going on :D Keep us posted as to how you do, and if you can, have someone post a video of you in action!

I want to get a video, my knees and feet are so torn up now! It was all on grass and there are no shoes and I didn't wear kneepads. I was also the only whiteboy at the entire event! But I was mvp for my team lol, the open team I played for didn't do good but the 21 and under team placed first which I got to play with for the championship. It was a crazy experience.

What is jai alai? lol

174-184 depends on how much I want to cut next year. Sorry for the late response btw lol

I ended up making 200 bucks this weekend for playing, should have been more but whatever it was my first time.

Where do you wrestle at?

Jeffersonville highschool in Indiana. I think we are ranked 13th out of 315 schools that wrestle in Indiana

I want to get a video, my knees and feet are so torn up now! It was all on grass and there are no shoes and I didn't wear kneepads. I was also the only whiteboy at the entire event! But I was mvp for my team lol, the open team I played for didn't do good but the 21 and under team placed first which I got to play with for the championship. It was a crazy experience.

What is jai alai? lol

Good job being the MVP! Glad you are enjoying it and hope your knees and feet heal up for your next match. Jai alai is a game similar to lacrosse where their "sticks" are actually curved and look like giant seed pods. I was watching a match on TV while in Jamaica and didn't have a clue what was going on :eek:

Jeffersonville highschool in Indiana. I think we are ranked 13th out of 315 schools that wrestle in Indiana

That is awesome though, hopefully you can place and get a scholarship somewhere. It really helps out with finances!

Nice, my highschool (Ponderosa) got second in state in sophmore year. And we were section champs and team section champs 10 x and league champs 35 x lol. We are a school known for wrestling haha.

Good job being the MVP! Glad you are enjoying it and hope your knees and feet heal up for your next match. Jai alai is a game similar to lacrosse where their "sticks" are actually curved and look like giant seed pods. I was watching a match on TV while in Jamaica and didn't have a clue what was going on :eek:

Thx! I think I will look that game up after my finals.

Back
Top Bottom