Veiled or Panther Cham?

Which one should i get? Any pro's or con's? I have been reading this site for a week, watching youtube videos for a month and learning about what it takes to take care of a Cham. Let me figure out this simple problem then i will move on to other weaknesses i have in learning about the process such as feeder set-up. I have already ordered many of the parts such as 16Wx30H breeze cage. I will set up the cage and fill out the new member document posted several times in this forum before actually purchasing the pet. First thing first, i need to learn if i should get Veiled or Panther??

Veiled's are easier than Panthers to care for, which is why they are more common and less expensive. Panther's come in a wider variety of coloration and have a reputation of being more friendly. Ultimately, I think you should simply go for which Chameleon you are more impressed by, considering shape and coloring.

pantherrrrrrrr :D i love my little girl panther she is 4 months and she is so sweet has shown no agressetion towards me unless provoked like the vet lol but even then no hissing or bitting only puffing up and openening the mouth.

Veileds and panthers are the same in care in my opinion unless you get one of the more obscure locales of panthers but that's because you are more likely to get a wild caught panther. There is so much wrong with that link Idk where to start. If you are doing a 3ft high cage you should do at least a 36inch length cage and a 24 inch width cage. Chameleons do better with more horizontal branches than vertical and the temps depend on the age and gender of your Cham. Also a uvb light should be provided, not a mini cfl, you want a uvb and preferably linear. Arcadia are the best. I haven't even read the rest of the link.

Ultimately I chose a panther because they are liklier to be friendlier, but there are no guarantees either way. They are more expensive.
I would get a boy so you don't have the added stress of egg laying to deal with in the beginning.
But I've never had a veiled and I bet they are awesome too!

Look at photos on here and go with the one that most appeals to you! I have had several Veileds (all of who were really sweet), 2 Jacksons, a Carpet and now my Panther girly. Apparently she is pretty much full grown and is rather dainty and smaller than the males. I would advise to get a male to begin with as females bring the extra worry with egg production, although having said that, my first cham was a female Veiled. I learnt an awful lot from her.

Veiled's are easier than Panthers to care for, which is why they are more common and less expensive. Panther's come in a wider variety of coloration and have a reputation of being more friendly. Ultimately, I think you should simply go for which Chameleon you are more impressed by, considering shape and coloring. You can go to https://chamouflage.com/pages/care for some basic, helpful info.
Are you pushing this care sheet because there's tab that takes you to where you can purchase chams and ultimately you're just trying to make a buck? So really it has nothing to do about offering advice but more about making sales.

Another vote for veiled.

#1, they eat veg, so you get to play everyones favorite game "will they eat it?". It also makes feeding easier since you do not have to worry as much about gut load and a variety of feeders to keep them from getting bored.

#2 100% guarantee to get the sex you want. Id go with a male just because beginner+eggs might equal a vet visit or other complications.

Which one should i get? Any pro's or con's? I have been reading this site for a week, watching youtube videos for a month and learning about what it takes to take care of a Cham. Let me figure out this simple problem then i will move on to other weaknesses i have in learning about the process such as feeder set-up. I have already ordered many of the parts such as 16Wx30H breeze cage. I will set up the cage and fill out the new member document posted several times in this forum before actually purchasing the pet. First thing first, i need to learn if i should get Veiled or Panther??
Hi @ChameleonTide not an expert by any means . I have both a little girl veiled and a baby boy panther . Care there very similar but personality very different . Septiceye my little boy is so sweet he came from Matt @Matt Vanilla Gorilla he's simply gorgeous and sweet as can be can handle him any time and any one . Frances on the other hand is simply gorgeous we love her to pieces but she bites and hisses and gives stink eye lol . They are cared for the same but Matt had Septiceye and he handles his babies from day one so they don't know anything different . He has a bit of a different approach then most and I can say our baby's is the sweetest .

Oh god, not this thread too! Why does every thread JohnnyLawrence post in turn to crap? Maybe if we ignore what appears to be the obvious he will go away. He has just about ruined two of my threads. I need some opinions fast, instead a get pages of banter over who is right!

@OP
Veiled's will always have a spot in my heart as I had the best lovable little guy for about 5 years. I also had an adorable female that was a little "B" but I loved her just as much. In reviewing the care sheets, quite honestly the husbandry for your run of the mill Veiled vs. the common Panthers are pretty much the same. There are some minor tweaks to temps and humidity, but that's nothing to be worried about.

My personal , unprofessional , 5 years of experience says to choose with your heart, which little guy (or girl) strikes your fancy and "speaks" to you. Sound weird, my wife thinks I'm crazy too, but in my head when it's the right one, I hear it. A name pops into my head and sticks. This is how I know its the one for me. All our pets (mostly dogs) are named before they ever get home. We have had many pets over the last 23 years. Each one named in a spur of the moment fleeting thought that just wouldn't leave my head. We loved going to the pet store and looking at puppies and pets, but never buy any, so we are not "those" kind of people. We have however at one time owned 5 Chihuahua's. o_O I found out rather than crave odd food when pregnant my wife would buy Chihuahua's. :rolleyes:

So buy what suits your taste, just prepare for the fact you may get a female and they require additional husbandry.

Back
Top Bottom