Veiled Hatchlings: Eyes Closed

xxleucisticxx

So to start off this is the history of the parents.

Female was older when purchased and had previous laid 72+ eggs for the original owner. I gave her almost about a year before introducing her to my male (young inexperienced). She produced for me 27 eggs and all of which took literally 13 months to hatch (Temps were roughly from 74-76 hot to 72-70 at night time).

In any case, the oldest hatchlings will be three weeks by next Sunday and they're very healthy and even capable of eating small crickets. I still have two eggs left that need to hatch and they're doing just fine.

My real problem is that I now have 5 babies with their eyes closed. (One opens them routinely and does eat) most of the others won't. They have been separated and placed in their own 32oz deli cups. They've been labeled by numbers. 1-3 has been in their cups for 5 days now. 4-5 just put in yesterday as I noticed them walking around with their siblings blindly.

#1 opens his eyes every time I offer water. I feed immediately and he's usually happy to go hunting but within a few minutes he's back to closing his eyes. He'll open them routinely but majority of the time they're closed.

#2 as of yesterday has not opened his eyes. He was eating and drinking fine before that but now he won't open them even after offering water.

#3 is the weakest. She opened her eyes perhaps 2-3 days ago. She's very skinny and lethargic. My sis force fed her two flies. (I wanted to try the Oxbow carnivore diet as my rescues have always survived on it even at their worse.) But we went with this route for now because she's so terribly weak. (I doubt she'll make it)

#4 and #5 were fine up until yesterday when I noticed them wandering in the enclosure with their siblings with their eyes closed. They have not once since opened them.

Monitoring them and keeping a log on them, I have noticed that #1 vibrates quite a bit if a fly walks on his head and seems very stressed out in the company/eye shot of the others. This might be why he's still willing to eat and drink. The second he looks at you though and realizes you're watching, he closes his eye. Not too concerned with him honestly. He just appears to be a very easily stressed/shy baby.

As for the others, they also vibrate when a fly walks on them but they refuse to do anything else. They deflate, shrink down to the plants they are holding and just stay there. I can't tell if this is severe stress in them, Vit A deficient, the start of MBD (no one has funny limbs, their tongues can fire). I don't get it.

Are they just weak babies? They're still getting their proper UVB and heat (Cham room in itself is roughly 80-85 degrees F.). Humidity in the room alone is anywhere from 50-70% when the misters go off on all my adults. Ca + D3 every 5 times a week, Vit supplements every 2-3x a week. I've always done this for babies (not hatchling veileds though) and it's never been terrible like this. So what's the deal?

Any hints, tips, tricks? Cuz right now, I don't have a clue and I'm about to start considering force feeding #4 and #5 if they spiral down like #3.

I'm sorry to hear about your babies. What kind of lighting are you using? Often a bulb putting off to much UVB will cause them to close their eyes especially the coil bulbs. You are also keeping them a tad to warm for me. IMHO to much supplements also.

In the baby enclosure, hot spot directly beneath the bulb is 95. Cool side with a lot of pothos is 74. This is a constant temp in their enclosure despite the room's temp. (Prob due to it being a tank right now) Morning, everyone's at the light. 6 hours from, they're scattered and wandering or nibbling on the pothos/flies that escaped them previously.

As for lighting with UVB, UVB strip 5.0. Because it's a small enclosure (10g tank) they only get it for about 2-3 hours.) Now the reason I do this is because a previous clutch with my friend's veileds ALL had eye issues by day 8 apparently due to the UVB light being on for 12 hours and little shade. Once she started minimizing it as the vet recommended, most of the babies started opening their eyes back up. Some remained a little sensitive to lights. (Or were just stressy dunno.)

EDIT: And #4 just opened his eyes. Acting a little like #1 but it's too soon to tell. Just kind of squinted a little, looked around, saw my partner looking at him and then shut his eyes. I'll try offering food and water when he opens his eyes again....if he opens them again.

IMO 95 is way too hot. I only keep my adults at 89 for basking and I keep the basking temps for babies in the low 80's...82 or 83. If that's a new 5.0 try raising it up 6 to 8 inches off the enclosure and lower those temps before you cook them.

Will do for the heat and for the 5.0, it's not new. It's at least 2 months old now.

Anything about the babies with their eyes closed? Any clues?

EDIT: What about supps? Like I said I've done this before for other baby chams but never younger then 3-4 weeks. (Youngest I've had was 3 weeks) Everything was fine but what do you think I should do for the hatchlings? How much Ca and how much vits per week?

I recommend lightly dusting with calcium without d3 once a day and only using D3 and vitamins " lightly" twice a month. I've had babies that's eyes were sensitive to the UVB bulb and the only UVB that didn't bother them was natural UVB outside. I've also read on here of other cases where the UV bulb bothered babies eyes. My girl in the thread below could not handle artificial UVB until around 6 months old.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/ellys-5-weeks-old-new-pics-49309/

You know what that sounds like these guys. Currently tho its raining here (for a week now) and temps way too cold to even chance bringing them out. Really hope it gets warmer soon.

When i put the five by the window they do perk up. #1, #4 and #5 all opened their eyes once i took them away from the lamps...might be their issue then.

Lowered temps btw. Hot spot is 80, cool is like 65 tho. Kinda worried now with that for these guys being so young.

Back
Top Bottom