Veiled chemeleon was diagnosed with mbd

I have been at work trying to figure out how to take care of Ozzy. The day after Thanksgiving he kept falling out of his tree branch and hurt his front legs. I took him to the vet and they told me he had mbd and did calcium injections. He had one injection a week ago and was just at everyone's mercy. He didn't fight me hiss or act his normal self. I had to force feed ND water him for the past two weeks. I also me sure he had proper calcium and rep vitamins. He has gained weight and strength. He is got his second injection yesterday ND last one they will give him yesterday.

He has gotten. So Fiesta ND am seeing he feels better. However he has still not eaten by himself (that I am aware of) or drank by himself.

My questions howlong could this go on. He only had mild case and it wScaughtvery early according to vet but the vet office are not experienced veiled chameleon cRegivers...so advice anyone e

Can you share picture?
Plus-- you put "(that I am aware of)". This needs to be a for sure thing since meds can cause different reactions.
JMHO: I would remove all food walking around and cup feed. In saying that-- don't watch or be in the room. Sometimes our chameleons are food shy even if yours never was. Jmo

Glad the strength is improving, that is a great sign. (y)

Can you share picture?
Plus-- you put "(that I am aware of)". This needs to be a for sure thing since meds can cause different reactions.
JMHO: I would remove all food walking around and cup feed. In saying that-- don't watch or be in the room. Sometimes our chameleons are food shy even if yours never was. Jmo

Glad the strength is improving, that is a great sign. (y)
First off I'd like to explain I still put crickets into his cage to offer him food and I still mist his cage and drip but I have not seen him eat or drink without me forcing it

I placed him into a smaller reptile cage and hung his lighting down where he can't touch it but still has proper Temps.

Attachments

• 16391601248898600967450750375591.jpg
    16391601248898600967450750375591.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 16391601752144695304555338914676.jpg
    16391601752144695304555338914676.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 16391602213329105634203198471432.jpg
    16391602213329105634203198471432.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 95
He puffed up and tried to bite me which is such a good thing g showing me has improved in strength and is definitely feeling better enough to defind himself!

I am not a Chameleon whisperer :LOL:(y)but can tell a lot by their eyes. He is defiantly grateful and he is giving you that "don't mess with me attitude". Don't get relaxed because this is the time when secondary issues can occur. I am not a VET but have helped others (not via computer) Others will give you better advice soon. (y)
Great your giving him the TLC required.

JMHO although you are in a temp cage a few bucks could replace the fake vines with some pothos.

JMO- when he is feeling better, he will start to nibble on plants which is a great improvement. Even if he does not, it will help with humidity as the meds can cause a little dehydration (I am sure you know all this but my nature to be detailed and can't assume anything these days). Great job!
My observation over the years. Some chameleons will start using their limbs properly and can even become semi-straight too. Not usual but can happen so maybe updates will show the wonders of chameleon health..

I am not a Chameleon whisperer :LOL:(y)but can tell a lot by their eyes. He is defiantly grateful and he is giving you that "don't mess with me attitude". Don't get relaxed because this is the time when secondary issues can occur. I am not a VET but have helped others (not via computer) Others will give you better advice soon. (y)

JMHO although you are in a temp cage a few bucks could replace the fake vines with some pothos.

JMO- when he is feeling better, he will start to nibble on plants which is a great improvement. Even if he does not, it will help with humidity as the meds can cause a little dehydration (I am sure you know all this but my nature to be detailed and can't assume anything these days). Great job!
My observation over the years. Some chameleons will start using their limbs properly and can even become semi-straight too. Not usual but can happen so maybe updates will show the wonders of chameleon health..
Thanks..I have really spent alot of money on this guy! You mDe me day! I have been so worried and having bad anxiety over this whole deal! 🙃 I will get him some real vi es when I go to town. I have some small spider plants starting too

And actually I noticed yesterday after getting the injections that he looked more dehydrated than he had before he left. I am going g to find a more experienced vet for ozzy. Not that I did t like them I just felt like they could've been more experienced

I wish I knew how old he is but pet store just said very young. I got him in August

Age is difficult since we don't know their feeding habit and conditions prior to getting them.
Example:
These were mine- hatched here so know birth date. When they are big enough or have gone through 3 sheddings, I will part with them.
Remember: About the same age plus or minus 2 weeks.
Pic 1 born the later part of June this year (pic taken Nov. 14 this year)
Pic 2 born the first week in July this year (pic taken Nov. 15 this year)
==== big difference

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_143657 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211114_143657 (2).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20211115_215646217.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211115_215646217.PORTRAIT.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Wow your big one! That's what I am wanting ...I have almost given up specially last week. I was so upset. But jeez when u spend this much on any animal it's a shame to see ao.eone else reep the rewards I have Emily spent 500$ on my Ozzy with equipment, Susie's, vet visits in just 3 months...I can't give up

Wow your big one! That's what I am wanting ...I have almost given up specially last week. I was so upset. But jeez when u spend this much on any animal it's a shame to see ao.eone else reep the rewards I have Emily spent 500$ on my Ozzy with equipment, Susie's, vet visits in just 3 months...I can't give up
Correct ...someone...easily....supplies not susie

No problem- My computer key board works some of the time (have done everything suggested) so have wireless when letters don't work. Back and forth back and forth. So as I mentioned in a different post Santa will be nice to me in January. :)

JMO --- full of them today. There are many rescues, pet-shops, both mom and pop and corporate that usually have chameleons for adoption.
4 years ago picked up a perfect Female Veiled from Pet Co.. Just asked do you have any animals to adopt? They said, we have adult veiled, tree frog and anole. I started sweating and said " Can I see the Veiled" 100% perfect. The original owner didn't like her attitude when she grew. Said " She does not like me anymore to aggressive" so Pet Co took her back. They can't sell again because not on their inventory. BINGO! I ask even 4 years later----Whatchya got?. There have been more frogs, anoles and even a bearded dragon. I am working on my downsizing so No- No- No- for me. I like the misfits and problem chameleons now. (y)
Enjoy!

What supplements are you using and how often and heavily for each? Please tell me if they contain D3 and what form of vitamin A they have in them.

What specific UVB light are you using... brand, long linear or compact or what?

I bought calcium with and without d3 and reptile vitamin powders.
I started them two weeks ago and do plain calcium everyday and on sat I do calcium with vit d and switch to reptile vitamin this sat

How heavily do you dust...does the insect look like a ghost or powdered donut...or is it lightly dusted?

What form of vitamin A is in the vitamin powder...or just tell me what the brand/name of the vitamin powder is.

What UVB light do you use?

If you can fill this out many more knowledgeable members will assist in get things going.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned abo

Heres picture

Attachments

• 16391777250461740060847767674806.jpg
    16391777250461740060847767674806.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 16391777460221884382518544062797.jpg
    16391777460221884382518544062797.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 16391777566008842851514716589561.jpg
    16391777566008842851514716589561.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 72