Veiled chemeleon was diagnosed with mbd

Did I mention, this was my 10 year Olds idea and it has became my full time everyday problem. Haha but I've taken over ownership because she is not responsible enough at this time to keep Ozzy alive

Also I had a regular bulb fixture with the 5.0. But I ordered a 24 inch one to hang over his cage that has long THO 5.o. the vet recommended me to get it

That is okay! I use to do reptile and animal education shows and would always tell the parents. If you allow your child to have a pet, it will really be your pet. LOL I know-- Fortunately for my parents it was in my blood to care for things. They didn't even have to get me food.
still enjoy the cleaning and behavior of it. My downfall is I like most reptiles, amphibians, small weird animals like hedgehogs, ferrets, sugar gliders, opossums and FISH-- My grand kids gave me a shirt "I have a reptile disorder--- can't just have one" it is that bad. Your doing a great job. I 100% get and would never push.. Your going to learn so much and hopefully you don't get bitten by the bug. The Chameleon bug.. haahaa
Your child can learn from you too.. Win win

That is definitely not a "mild" case. He has severe MBD and needs a hospital bin. Check in with sweet pea the chameleon on socials for tips.

That is definitely not a "mild" case. He has severe MBD and needs a hospital bin. Check in with sweet pea the chameleon on socials for tips.
I put him in a small 24inch reptile aquarium and have him on paper towels with a little dirt ND greenery ND ND stick to touch because he can't climb it has made him happy just to be Blessed to hide unbridled ND hold stick in his hands

That is okay! I use to do reptile and animal education shows and would always tell the parents. If you allow your child to have a pet, it will really be your pet. LOL I know-- Fortunately for my parents it was in my blood to care for things. They didn't even have to get me food.
still enjoy the cleaning and behavior of it. My downfall is I like most reptiles, amphibians, small weird animals like hedgehogs, ferrets, sugar gliders, opossums and FISH-- My grand kids gave me a shirt "I have a reptile disorder--- can't just have one" it is that bad. Your doing a great job. I 100% get and would never push.. Your going to learn so much and hopefully you don't get bitten by the bug. The Chameleon bug.. haahaa
Your child can learn from you too.. Win win
That sounds fun. I wish I could go to class to teach me more. I have actually added and I have. Hard time studying at home. I can pay more attention NDearn when someone is interacting I teaching with me...you are lucky and blessed! Xoxo

How heavily do you dust...does the insect look like a ghost or powdered donut...or is it lightly dusted?

What form of vitamin A is in the vitamin powder...or just tell me what the brand/name of the vitamin powder is.

What UVB light do you use?
And I put bugs in zip bag ND shake them

When a chameleon has MBD, the nutrients (mainly phos, calcium, D3 and vitamin A) need to be brought back into balance to correct it and then proper husbandry has to follow to stop it from coming back. Most of the crooked bones will remain crooked but the chameleon can still live a good life.

To bring things back into balance, the vet usually recommends a liquid calcium be given until the bones and muscles, etc are back to being strong again. When they are strong again th liquid calcium can be discontinued. The regular supplements should be given on the regular schedule along this extra calcium....and continued after the liquid calcium is discontinued.

The regular recommended schedule is PHOS free calcium dusted lightly on the insects at all feedings but one a week. On that one day, alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with no D3 but that has a prEformed source of vitamin A...lightly dusted.

It's important to feed/gutload the insects well too.

Make sure the basking temperature is 80F or just slightly above.
Most recommended UVB lights are the long linear Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% tube lights.

This might help too...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

I hope this helps to explain it all.

Last edited:
When a chameleon has MBD, the nutrients (mainly phos, calcium, D3 and vitamin A) need to be brought back into balance to correct it and then proper husbandry has to follow to stop it from coming back. Most of the crooked bones will remain crooked but the chameleon can still live a good life.

To bring things back into balance, the vet usually recommends a liquid calcium be given until the bones and muscles, etc are back to being strong again. When they are strong again th liquid calcium can be discontinued. The regular supplements should be given on the regular schedule along this extra calcium....and continued after the liquid calcium is discontinued.

The regular recommended schedule is PHOS free calcium dusted lightly on the insects at all feedings but one a week. On that one day, alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with no D3 but that has a prEformed source of vitamin A...lightly dusted.

It's important to feed/gutload the insects well too.

Make sure the basking temperature is 80F or just slightly above.
Most recommended UVB lights are the long linear Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% tube lights.

This might help too...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

I hope this helps to explain it all.
Thanks for ur help..I am gonna get him healthy and I have high hopes for this guy! He has really grown on me

Long UVB lights don't produce much heat. For basking you can just use a regular household incandescent (not led) lightbulb if a wattage that produces the basking temperature in the low 80's F.

So....you need either he long linear reptisun 5.0 tube light or the long linear Arcadia 6% tube light to provide UVB for the chameleon.

Then for basking you need the incandescent regular white light (not led) bulb.

BTW...at night there should be no lights on.

I hope this is clearer.

Back
Top Bottom