! !Veild skin Problem ! !

Jeremy l

Cage : exoterra glass cage ( new screen cage is ordered and will be here on wed. next week. )
Lighting: reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb ( i know its not as good as the liner i am getting the new lights on tues. )
Basking: 60 watt bulb
Food: Crickets with flukers calcium dusted on them
Hydration: pro-mist 60 misting system 4 times a day 10min at a time
Folage: plastic plants and a live pothos ivy w/ branches
No substrate !

Problem : he has always looked fine until late today i noticed he was green on the bottom of him but dark brown/blackish on top and top of his head !
thought it might be bulb burn but he never sits right under the bulbs.
any help would be awsome

thanks jeremy

Last edited:
It looks like a burn to me too. I had one of those squiggly bulbs, a 10 at that, and my poor baby got burned. Fortunately I read how dangerous those could be on the forum, and I changed it right away, however even the short time it was up caused some burning.

I would also make sure the basking bulb wasn't making too much heat under it. Do you have a thermometer? Keep one close to the bulb. You may have to reduce the bulb to a 40 or 25.

Looks like a burn to me as well. Are those lights inside or outside of the enclosure? How close to those bulbs can he get to? (about how many inches away?)

the bulbs are on the outside of the cage he can get within 2 to three inches to the lights but he never sits that close up there. i am going to replace the lights but i was going to get them on tues before the new cage came in but i guess i will to it tomarrow ! ! there is no heat or bulb running at night by the way

That compact fluorescent could give him a "sunburn"
Doesn't have to be close or hot.
Throw it away now.
Better he should have no uvb light till tuesday then suffer through that kind of exposure.

-Brad

Be aware, it will take several sheds to get rid of the burnt skin. At first shed it will look like there is dry skin left. It won't come off. It may take 3 - 4 sheds. Be sure to mist well, especially during a shed, but don't try to "help" by rubbing it.

i hope hes not in pain, i knew those bulbs were not great but i thought at least it would be ok until i got his new cage and lights. i thought at least that uvb bulb was better than no uvb bulb. i have the linier reptisun 5.0 on my panther but he is in a different cage like the one the veild is getting.

Back
Top Bottom