UVB optimal values for building a digital UVB/UVA meter?

VadimLediaev

Hello, I am currently building a digital UVB/UVA meter capable to do a precise, separate A and B and UVIndex measurement, which will be used to measure parameters of artifical light in vivariums. I want to incorporate an optimal UV values into the device code so it will tell the user weither the light is optimal, or too low, or harmful to the particular species. The sensor returns values in uW/cm2. As I said, it has a separate channels for A and B which makes it unique because it is pretty hard to find such a uvb meter on the market (for suitable price).

So, my question is, can anybody tell me what are the optimal values of UVB and (less important) UVA light for most popular species?
I believe the device is going to be much more user-friendly if it has a readable format of the output among with numbers.

Currently I only have the values for Fur.pardalis (10-50uW/cm2 of UVB) from this article: http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulWeldon.html

Thanks!
uvb.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, a 4.0 is virtually ideal for UVB.
At least that's what my enosures are set up for using my SOLARMETER 6.5r

If I'm not mistaken, a 4.0 is virtually ideal for UVB.
At least that's what my enosures are set up for using my SOLARMETER 6.5r

4.0 UVI? That's a bit much. 3.0 UVI is the suggested limit for Chameleons.

OP.

I have looked into this in the past as well, not to match functionality of existing meters, as it seems your trying to? But to have separate meters into 1.

What sensor is it you plan to use that is high accuracy? Because I am betting it's the same one, many folks myself included looked at. The 25 dollar Chinese one, it's not accurate at all.

The device your trying to build already exists, as Zero said the Solarmeter, and it's priced fairly. The optics alone are going to run you 75 dollars, the good sensors are 75, that's 150, and you have not made a shell, a board whether you use an andrino or whatever. 200 for a Solarmeter on sale, if you shop around.

You will not save money. This is not going to be a product you can make money from. Sorry to burst your bubble, you can pursue it if you want, but I am telling you it has been on this forum by a group of us, you will spend more money and time than just buying a Solarmeter.

There is algorithms, that are pantented by Solarmetered with their weighting, from their sensor.

Your trying to reinvent the wheel, so they are not going to give you theirs. You can try to come up with something similar and compare to the Solarmetered readings, to verify, with a few different bulbs.

Again though, not sure the goal. If you have to buy a solar meter to verify its working right, what's the point. Unless the goal is sales, which there again, you are not going to get a polished product at a price point that people would choose yours over a long term reliable business like Solarmeter, if you can beat their pricing at all.

Last edited:
Hi cyberlocc, thanks for your answer!
The sensor I'm using is VEML6075, you can see it on the image. Here's the datasheet: https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/3/c/3/2/f/veml6075.pdf, and "Designing the VEML6075 into an Application "

It is a digital sensor with data output (not just a photodiode or something), with 0.1 uW/cm2 resolution, wide range and selectable measurement settings.
Was hard to find much info about it on the Internet, and I found some of the people using the data it returns in a wrong way (counting raw
arbitrary units output values as a metric ones). I have contacted Vishay and the gave me some advises and another pdf "VEML6075 Calibration Guidelines" (marked as confidential for some reason) with more info about units conversion and calibration of the sensor.

Talking about the Solarmeter price and wheel, I totally disagree with you. It is just a sensor, IC, LCD, battery and a plastic box - no complex or moving parts, etc, so it is overpriced for my humble opinion.

My current goal is to build a couple of fully functional devices for me and my colleagues and friends. Afher that it might turn into production.

Can find the field report right now, but panthers were 30-35 µW/cm²

And a UVI to µW/cm² is on average 1:40 noon in temperate summer, but it can be a lot lower in fall and a lot higher in certain desert regions.

Talking about the Solarmeter price and wheel, I totally disagree with you. It is just a sensor, IC, LCD, battery and a plastic box - no complex or moving parts, etc, so it is overpriced for my humble opinion.

I already told you the pricing reason, that you are missing.

Their sensor is 75. The ground Glass Silica Optics that you need and they use is also 75+ dollars.

That's 150 base for you to make, without adding LCD/IC ect then you have to make a profit, plus retailers need to ect. And I have seen solarmeters as low as 180 myself on sale.

I'm telling you it's not overpriced, as someone who thought the same as you, years ago and went down this road. There is a reason there is no other businesses making solarmeters lol.

There is a few, Chinese companies that use that cheap sensor. The meters suck, as the sensor is not accurate.

I wish you luck though. If you do pursue it I hope it works out for you :).

Last edited:
I already told you the pricing reason, that you are missing.

Their sensor is 75. The ground Glass Silica Optics that you need and they use is also 75+ dollars.

That's 150 base for you to make, without adding LCD/IC ect then you have to make a profit, plus retailers need to ect. And I have seen solarmeters as low as 180 myself on sale.

I'm telling you it's not overpriced, as someone who thought the same as you, years ago and went down this road. There is a reason there is no other businesses making solarmeters lol.

There is a few, Chinese companies that use that cheap sensor. The meters suck, as the sensor is not accurate.

I wish you luck though. If you do pursue it I hope it works out for you :).

Dont forget about the calibrated unit to match to, or the calibrated UVB source that puts out 10 UVI or whatever.

Dont forget about the calibrated unit to match to, or the calibrated UVB source that puts out 10 UVI or whatever.

Ya I said that for the design in the first post :). I'm assuming he is trying to make these to sell, and will be buying a Solarmeter and such to calibrate.

Ya I said that for the design in the first post :). I'm assuming he is trying to make these to sell, and will be buying a Solarmeter and such to calibrate.

Hi, sorry for the delay.
As I said, making any competition with Solarmeter is not my aim at this moment. For now, I want to build a meter with high repeatability and precision
THEN if it would perform well it might become a business project.

Calibration is not a problem, one of my friends have Solarmeter, another one is working in pet store so I'm hoping to get access to some lamps with known UVB values. (like Lucky Herp)

mZNp-Jtj1ag.jpg

I noticed some of you guys on this forums care about UVI (index) which is mostly related to human skin health. I hope you know that different bulbs can produce pretty low UVI with high B and C wavelength (which makes it very harmful) or normal UVI (say 4) with absolutely no UVB (which makes this lamp almost useless)
Therefore I only care about UVB (in metric values) and ignore UVI values (which is too blurry).
Are you 100% sure they use exactly this one, VEML6075? Even if so, as I said, I only could get the right calibration guide pdf directly from Vishay, who knows - maybe they didn't?
Do you have a link to their meters?

Last edited:
Uhh UVB bulbs have only 1 UVB phosphor. Its set for optimal bone growth. any UVA is a byproduct. You would have to find a first gen cfl to find one that puts out UVC.

And if you can find a bulb that puts out 4 UVI and almost no UVB, ill eat my hat yet again.

Like night said and we had this convo the other day lol.

The UVI is weighted to certain wavelengths of UVB, UVI is a calculation, and while yes you can over UVI with alot of A it takes a whole LOT.

The only actual study of Reptile UV needs is based on UVI as well. Look up "Ferguson Zones" where they found that same "Human Skin Value" to Intersect with Reptile D3 Production.

Also in regards to the Lucky Herp Lamp output, that is an example nothing more. That is not a guarantee of levels, as they couldn't possibly give you that, too much variance in manufacturing, fixtures, reflectors, ect.

Back
Top Bottom