UVB meters?

Syn

Avid Member
Just read about UVB meters in a Forum Poll.

Anyone have any experience with these?
It'd be fun to run around outside in Arizona to see what the UVB is.

Anyways, prices? I've looked on Google but.. that's never the best place to look.

I would like to say quality over price, but I can't go spending thousands of dollars. :p

A 48 inch Reptisun from LLL is about $20.00 with shipping. So to recover $200.00 ($179.00+ shipping), if you ran your lights twice as long as the 6 months rule by using your meter, you would break even after purchasing 20 bulbs, which would take 10 years if you have one bulb! I doubt you would get twice the life, and if you are buying 2 bulbs it is reduced etc,
The good thing is you would know your inside Chams are getting what they need, and not guessing.
Fathers day is coming up!!! HMMMMMMM:D

Well that's what I'm trying to do, not second guess the UVB for all three of my animals. :s

Just read about UVB meters in a Forum Poll.

Anyone have any experience with these?
It'd be fun to run around outside in Arizona to see what the UVB is.

Anyways, prices? I've looked on Google but.. that's never the best place to look.

I would like to say quality over price, but I can't go spending thousands of dollars. :p

Sabrina, I own the Solarmeter 6.2 and it's an awesome tool-- inexpensive, too, compared to industrial meters. I would certainly keep this in your future priority list.

Cheers,

Fabián

P.S. I was surprised when I first went out a few years ago to record the average µw/cm^2 during the summers in Texas... I can't imagine in Arizona! I think you'll find that, even in the shade, the UVB exposure is quite significant.

I have the Solar meter 6.2 and I would highly recommend it if you plan on having a large collection with lots of lights running at once. I have alot of chams and quality lighting is a big priority, so I usually check the bulbs on a monthly basis. Some bulbs have lasted a year or more but also I have received bulbs that did not put out the proper amount of uvb fresh out of the box which is a scary thought.

-Nic

edit- Fabian, what do you measure outdoors this time of year? Just curious. Here in Georgia Its been warm and sunny out and Ive been measuring 170µw/cm^2 in the sunlight and 45µw/cm^2 in the shade, which is typically what my indoor lighting measures.

Solarmeter 6.2 it is! I will be making a Wish List type thing here in a little while. :p

Solar meter 6.2 was made for reading uv bulbs specifically It's one of the best investments I ever made. I bought mine from a Dragon breeder for 160.00 about 2 yr's ago it was posted here on this site.

Hey if anyone wants to sell theirs I'd be more than happy to buy it at a discount >_<

Back
Top Bottom