UVB meters?

Not worth it, unless you buy your bulbs used. You can just buy them new and replace them every 6 months like everyone here does. But realistically they're quoted for a year to a year and a half. Just mark the date when you first start using it or mark the date that it should be replaced in advanced somewhere. Why spend the extra dough, especially in this economy.

Not worth it, unless you buy your bulbs used. You can just buy them new and replace them every 6 months like everyone here does. But realistically they're quoted for a year to a year and a half. Just mark the date when you first start using it or mark the date that it should be replaced in advanced somewhere. Why spend the extra dough, especially in this economy.

Obviously you did not read this. Not all bulbs are perfect, some come with defects. (and I'd like to add some are better!)

Some bulbs have lasted a year or more but also I have received bulbs that did not put out the proper amount of uvb fresh out of the box which is a scary thought.

-Nic

Last edited:
A number of zoos certified by the AZA got together and purchased them in bulk from Bob McCargar-- the founder of Reptile UV-- a couple of years ago. I would contact him once you have an idea of how many and inquire.

Fabián

It's not a waste of money bulbs last longer and put off more uv then what the manufacture says it does. Also you can put the lamps and the precise distance that you want it for uv sensitive chameleons like montane species and it takes all the guess work out of how much uv ( exactly) they are receiving. Although I do agree that these are depressing economic times.

Reptile UV is in the UK so shipping would be crazy. Besides these are made here in the U.S.

ANYWAY, I just got off the phone with them. Group buys significantly drop the price. Since these are wholesale dealer pricing I don't want to get supporters of this site or stores in general upset I'm posting the pricing so best you PM and I'll quote you. All I can say is it drops it down to something much more reasonable. The pricing I give you should be considered confidential. IE don't use it to go somewhere and announce you know what they pay etc.

The price breaks are at 6, 12-24, 25-49 The difference between 6 and 25-49 is only 10/unit. Still that would help cover shipping costs.

So I want to be very clear on how this would work. I've done group buys for other clubs I'm part of so I know the pitfalls.

The upside is you save a lot. The downside is you have to pay shipping 2 ways. I need the whole order to get here before I can disperse it. It would only cost an extra dollar for your share of the 'to me' shipping. Then unless you're local and pick it up you would have to pay shipping to you. This again isn't much and I would be happy to do all the boxing and shipping for board members. Priority mail would be the easiest since you get it faster and I don't have to pay for shipping boxes.

Here's how it would have to work:

I'll leave this open for a week or so until there's no more interest. Then when I have the total I would get a hard quote which would include shipping from the manufacturer. I would also get a quote for Priority Mail which should cover you where ever you live. I would then email you your total including the shipping.

Then you have to get me the money. Once I have all the money and the checks clear I'll pay the company and order them.

This has the potential to be a big can of worms for me so I ask that you must be serious. Have the funds in your bank account. Not complain about the timeline (not up to me, up to everyone getting their money to me and it clearing the bank).

I imagine the timeline from when you send your check in until I notify you its shipping to you could be 3 weeks. Time for the check to get to me. Time for your check to clear. Ship to me. Ship to you.

If this works then PM me. For those it doesn't work then no problem. I just trying to help the group.

Syn just had an excellent point. If everyone is cool with the terms then I'll start a thread about a group buy.

Lamshade is right. Its not just the bulbs. You can adjust your lighting better as well.

I would need to know more details on the product to be in on this, so can someone 'sell' me on the product in as short and sweet a way as possible :eek:

I guess the main factor is simply making sure my reptiles and amphibians aren't being over or underexposed to UVB and so I know when to replace or adjust bulbs...

Are these reliable 10 years down the road? Are they top of the line quality?

Does it measure ONLY UVB? can you measure light intensity or any other types of light...any other functions/settings other than for UVB?

Also, do you take PayPal? :)

Brok. These are the one Reptile UV tested and recommends. Go to their website and research it.

I would do Paypal but you have to pay the fees. Domestic I get hit with 3.4% and being in Canada I'm charged 5%. I have argued until I was blue with Paypal because they initially say 3% but then when you see the fees they end up being higher. They have a bizarre method of figuring it out.

Believe me it will be a huge deal to co-ordinate and I'm sure I could just do our local club.

An alternative is to have other members in areas around the country where there could be at least 6 people ordering and then its localized.

It was just a thought to help everyone out.

I don't mind paying the fees, I buy lots of stuff over the net from the US anyways.

I'll first check if anyone here in BC will want to do an order with me so we don't have to bother you with it.

Do you know what the price per unit will be with a group discount of 12-24 people?

Again, PM me about pricing. I don't think publishing wholesale pricing publicly on the net is a good idea.

If you can get people in your area that would be easiest all the way around. Judging by some of the PMs I'm getting maybe its best to localize your group orders.

I'm going to do this with our Cham club I decided. If you're geographically close to So.Cal (Arizona, Nevada, Oregon) then let me know. I don't want this to get too complex or have any misunderstandings with people.

Last edited:
It's about time!

I bought the Solarmeter 6.2 yay I can’t wait for it to get here so I can start my own experiments muah ha ha ;) Think of all the money I could have been saving the last 6 years yikes! I also bought a small egg candling kit but that’s a hole different thread.

Back
Top Bottom