Urgent Health Issues

Cjd713

Hey guys :) I know I haven't been on in a bit, but...
My friends cham has been acting weird, so I will let her fill this form out, since she does not has internet access. If you guys could helpher out, it would be much appreciated :) thanks

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, got him as a baby back in August.
Handling - I handle whenever I feed, I hand feed
Feeding - I feed him crickets. He usually eats 2-4, depending. He eats about 2-5 times a week (busy) Gutloaded with Flukers High-Calcium Cricket Feed (dry)
Watering - He is watered 1-3 times a day
Fecal Description - the tip is yellow-ish, hard, not parasite tested.
History - Nothing has ever really been wrong

Cage Info:
Cage and lighting can be found here : http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animals/chameleons/-/veiled-chameleon-package/ his lights are on from ~8:45 - 8:45
Temperature - lowest overnight temp is ~70 F
Plants - All artificial vines and leaves
Placement - cage is in my room. cage is seated on boxes about 1-1.5 ft off ground
Location - I'm also in Ohio

Current Problem - My cham has been sleeping for most of the day, he usually has his eyes closed, today it was a little hard to shake him awake, I had to use my hand. Today he wouldn't eat, and kept his eyes mostly closed while on my hand, unless I put him under his bright light, then he kind of fumbled around like he couldn't see. He acted as if he couldn't see his cricket, which I was holding all around him. He's been pretty lethargic lately, and I'm scared. Please help if you can.

(PS, Thanks guys :) ~Cjd713)

What is the temp at the basking spot? Also, are you using any supplements for the crickets? like calcium or multivitamins? What do you mean by watering him? Do you have a drip system? Do you mist him 1-3 times a day? If so, how long each time?

Is the tip of the poop all yellow? It should be solid brown with white urate at one end(its okay if the very tip of the white part is yellow or orange, but only a small part). Try giving him a shower with warm water.

1) What supplements are you using to dust your feeders and what is the dusting schedule?

2) You should be gutloading your crickets with more than just the Fluker's stuff. Fresh veggies and fruits such as kale, turnips greens, carrots, ect.

3) What is the humidity is the enclosure? You should also have some live plants in there.

4) What is his basking spot temp and how close to the light is his basking spot? What about ambient temp during the day?

5) Pictures of your setup and chameleon is very helpful.

I would probably take him to a vet soon that isn't a good sign. One thing I saw was your gutload could use some work I would add some fruits and veggies.

I don't think that she's using any sups. :S i'll double check. She said she doesn't test the humidity, just mists. You can see how close the spot is in the pic. His urate is yellow she said. I just put pictures of friends setup and cham in my profile. The empty cage isn't her, only the other two pics. Thanks guys :)

If he is stumbling and is poorly looking/acting I recommend a vet visit with a chameleon experienced vet. If he wont move at all and/or is on the bottom of the cage there is usually something very wrong. Especially if the cham has been doing this for a long time (which it sounds like it has according to the post, just not as lethargic.)

Pictures would be very helpful.

That chameleon is in urgent need of a vet! Dont waste your time here and go look for a vet. Come back later for husbandry help. It looks extremely under weight and the casque is realllly bad, especially if its a male and is older than 5 months...

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking. Do you have any ideas of what could be wrong? I'm honestly not sure if it will make it much longer.

MBD, underweight, probably stunted growth from lack of nutrition, calcium, and food. Lots of things could be wrong and possibly are wrong...

You can see all of its spines....

I dont know. Only a vet could tell you.

EDIT: Do you know how old it is or if it's even male? If she got it in august and it was 2 months it would be about 7 months... It looks really really small in that picture, which is why I said stunted growth...

Honestly, whether you think it can be saved or not, it needs to go to the vet. Even if it can't be saved, which no one can tell you but the vet, you can't just leave it in there barely surviving until it dies. Take it to a chameleon vet immediately. Let us know what happens!

I dont know. Only a vet could tell you.

EDIT: Do you know how old it is or if it's even male? If she got it in august and it was 2 months it would be about 7 months... It looks really really small in that picture, which is why I said stunted growth...

It is about 7 months, and yeah, it hasn't really grown at all. I'm pretty sure it's male, it has the spurs on his hinds.

Am I right in presuming that she has only been feeding her cham 2 - 4 crickets 2 - 5 times a week because she has been busy??

Yellow urates indicates dehydration and by looking at his set up even if she is misting 1 - 3 times a day there is nothing in there to hold moisture as they are all fake plants and very little of them.

He looks completely dehydrated and malnourished....get him to a vet...asap and if he survives make sure you help your friend to get his cage set up correctly.

Yes you need to start looking for a good vet as soon as you can it looks extremely thin and dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom