Urgent advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deuces,
I have a female ambilobe that isn't doing well. Won't drink with misting and from eye dropper. I use calcium plus at every feeding its a t-Rex product. She isn't eating super worms turn into black beetle thingys. Crickets no cause tougue stopped working. I put a zoomed fogger on top of her cage. Her cage is 12" length on sides and 18" front and back. I have a photo of her condition only look if you can cause its intense.
She's pretty screwed up mouth injured and eyes aren't there. Let me know what I can do and how to feel for eggs? Thanks

calcium plus is calcium plus multivitamin...you shouldnt be using it at every feeding...maybe once a month.have you tried putting her in shower with water pointed at the walls and let it splash onto her? she is definitely dehydrated by looking at her eyes...i hope some more advanced keepers can chime in and give you more advice...

umm well i new to all this but are you tring to feed her beetles? the black bugs?? as far as i know no animal will eat them cause they teast bad or so im told .. but i could be wrong

She definitely looks dehydrated, as Stacy said, and it's also not a good sign that she has her eyes closed during the day time. It could be a supplementation problem since multivitamins are only supposed to be used 1-2x/month. Also. this may not have to do with her current problem but if she is in a 12" x 12" x 18" enclosure that's way too small (judging from her apparent size in your photo)... Is her tail missing or is it just the angle of the photo?

If you can copy and paste the questions in https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ with your answers it will help us get a better idea of your husbandry and what could be causing the problems and how to fix them. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here (and even a couple of veterinarians) that are always willing to help other members take better care of their chams...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species ambilobe, sex female, and age of your chameleon 18-19 months old. How long has it been in your care? 17 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only when I have to orally give by mouth don't handle chams for fun.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets and superworms and lately reptiaid. What amount? 12-14 crickets and superworms once a week. What is the schedule? Daily or every other day. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Water blanket and oatmeal mustard greens and Dino fuel.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I was using calcium without d3 every feeding and with d3 once a week. But been using calcium plus only for three weeks that just passed.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Misting and a fogger and lately eye dropper by mouth. How often and how long to you mist? Only 15-30 seconds til everything drips. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Used too not lately.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Whiteish pink urates and grizzle brown stool. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Nope I use reptaid
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Yes hasn't layed eggs in her life time. Just completely stopped eating all together probably going to die. She's from screameleons

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) screen What are the dimensions?12" sides and 18" front and back
Lighting - What brand, zoomed model, reptisun and types of lighting are you using? Reptisun 5.0 What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 on and 12 off
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I don't and don't know
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? I dont know. are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? None
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? None
Placement - Where is your cage located? Floor Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Nope. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 2 feet
Location - Where are you geographically located? Center usa

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Forum photo I took and uploaded not sure really.

Pictures are helpful

I will try the shower in the morning but with my water heater being broke for year now. Idk

The super worms I leave in cage turn into black beetles. Cause she won't eat them. Also she has never lost any of her tail. Just the way photo was taken

do you not have a basking light? how did she injure her mouth? She needs to be seen by a vet I think at this point.

umm well i new to all this but are you tring to feed her beetles? the black bugs?? as far as i know no animal will eat them cause they teast bad or so im told .. but i could be wrong

they will eat the beetles. I never tasted one so I cannot tell you if they are bad!:p

Same here I just throw the beetles outside. Not sure what to do with superworms. I know just not to feed them to her a lot. But with her tougue idk.

12 to 14 crickets and worms once a week isnt really enough food,it should be every other day for her age.calcium with d3 every 2 weeks instead of every week..also chams need a heat light of temps around 85 to bask in with lower temps towards bottom of cage(ambient) around 75 to 80 and a thermometer to measure them...an uvb light is required for absorption of calcium(along with the ca d3)..and she definitely could use a larger cage,more like 18x18x36 would suffice...but for now id definitely make an appointment with a vet ...

I feed them every other day and will use my temp gun to check temps tomorrow. I feed my females less because of developing eggs. My veiled lays eggs twice a year.

Beautiful well I injured her mouth getting it open. Fuuk well a vet isn't a option. Guess she's going to die Fuuk. Whatever 200 dollars down the tube. Thanks guys anyways

i wouldnt give up so easily,make a few calls to the vet,sometimes they can make a payment plan or something to the sorts..she hasnt given up yet,you shouldnt on her either..

Last edited:
Do you have access to silk worms or horn worms? Both are very rich in calcium and other vitamins and horn worms can help rehydrate her since they have a high water content. They're pretty much mail order only where I'm at but they are sometimes carried in pet/reptile stores... You can also try to make bug juice by smashing up some crickets with a little water and then feeding it to her through an eye dropper. A lot of people have used that method to nurse their sick/injured chams along until they are strong enough to start eating on their own again. Another thing that can really help is taking her outside to soak up some natural sun light, it can really work miracles, assuming it's not too hot where you're at that is.

Well ma'am I given up weeks ago. She probably is better off dead then alive. I know I am there all I got. Am just a 25 year old loser. Say it proudly

I know a place near by that has silks pricey but its worth a shot thx. It's in the 90's humid where am at. Just not sure to bring her cage outside. I just hold her and spend as much time with her. I had a lot of loss deaths in my life. All I can do at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom