Update

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I know I had another thread about the vet visit but figured I'd start fresh with a new update. Poseidon does have parasites, it's called coccidia? I have to take him in tomorrow for more info, are they going to give him an injection or something?

So this is the harder parasite to kill off... They will more then likely give ponazuril. And dosage depends on what the vet decides to do.

Did they tell you what the parasite load was? Low or high?

Cleaning is pulling everything out and trashing everything that is porous. You will be keeping a very bare cage during the treatment process. And spot cleaning every time he passes a fecal. The oocysts (eggs) that are excreated in the fecal are extremely hard to kill. 40 volume liquid peroxide is what can be used. Soaking the surfaces of the cage for 20 minutes then rinsing extremely well. I was doing this weekly. You can read through my thread on it. A lot of people gave me wonderful info on cleaning properly and dealing with it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/coccidia-help-and-cleaning-advice-please.170202/

So this is the harder parasite to kill off... They will more then likely give ponazuril. And dosage depends on what the vet decides to do.

Did they tell you what the parasite load was? Low or high?

Cleaning is pulling everything out and trashing everything that is porous. You will be keeping a very bare cage during the treatment process. And spot cleaning every time he passes a fecal. The oocysts (eggs) that are excreated in the fecal are extremely hard to kill. 40 volume liquid peroxide is what can be used. Soaking the surfaces of the cage for 20 minutes then rinsing extremely well. I was doing this weekly. You can read through my thread on it. A lot of people gave me wonderful info on cleaning properly and dealing with it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/coccidia-help-and-cleaning-advice-please.170202/
Wow sorry for all that in the thread...rude person. Anyway, they disnt say anything about a load, this is going to be a lot harder then I thought, thanks for the info

Wow sorry for all that in the thread...rude person. Anyway, they disnt say anything about a load, this is going to be a lot harder then I thought, thanks for the info
It is ok... I learned from it... And now I am far more cautious in what I do.

Yes, this will be difficult and it really sucks.

The branches, plants, and anything porous. must come out. You can not use the peroxide on anything that is porous like that.

So you will have to trash a lot to ensure you do not have a reinfection risk. Because these are so hard to kill off and chams drink off of surfaces that they also happen to poop on it makes reinfection higher. You also built your cage with wood right? This is going to be even more difficult because of what you have to use to kill it. @JacksJill is peroxide safe to use on a wood cage?

Ask the vet what the parasite load was.

Read through my thread for details. Like I said a lot of really knowledgeable keepers gave me a ton of good info on cleaning and dealing with it.

where does this parasite come from...
There are lot’s of things that can cause parasites as well as different types etc... which is why it’s recommended you get fecals done when you purchase a cham. After you should get two more done just in case. I know some vets will need to do a check up before the fecal test. Usually check ups are $60+ and fecals $45+ or at least all the vets I have called when I was searching :)

where does this parasite come from...
Feeders... Most common with crickets. Can happen when you buy from pet stores that are not careful with their feeders. Toss feeders that are contaminated from cages back in bins or just keep really dirty environments.

Can happen in larger collections where they bring in wild caught chams.

Reduced appetite and growth rate is a common sign. Stressful events can trigger the parasite to go into mass production.

Feeders... Most common with crickets. Can happen when you buy from pet stores that are not careful with their feeders. Toss feeders that are contaminated from cages back in bins or just keep really dirty environments.

Can happen in larger collections where they bring in wild caught chams.

Reduced appetite and growth rate is a common sign. Stressful events can trigger the parasite to go into mass production.
So I plan to throw everything away except for plastic vines and stuff and clean them every few days, this really sucks but have to do it I guess. How long do I have to do this?

So I plan to throw everything away except for plastic vines and stuff and clean them every few days, this really sucks but have to do it I guess. How long do I have to do this?
Until you get a series of clean fecals. Talk to your vet about the treatment plan.

I was told to clean weekly. Getting a second screen cage would be a good idea. Easier to clean too.

Baby may have no appetite the first few days after each dosage.

I did not do the first cleaning until he got the first dose.

Also I probably need to buy a feeder run cup bc crickets somehow get out of the one I have so does anyone know of one that crickets will not get out of? I dont want him eating any that got out.

Back
Top Bottom