Update on Vinny with severe MBD

BocaJan

My little Vinny has an incredible will to live. He has been getting stronger and is now in a mesh cage with lots of stuff on the bottom to fall on. At first he did fall from time to time, but also sat quite proud on his branch. I put some plastic mesh under the branch so it would be harder for him to fall and I think we have a success.

I have been hand feeding and watering him since we got him. He couldn't seem to manage his tongue. Guess the MBD affected his tongue muscles also. Anyway, 2 days ago I put a super in a little medicine cup and held it out to him. After giving that worm the old eye for about a minute he leaned forward and stuck out his tongue. He wasn't successful the first time, but got it the second time. I cheered him on and offered him a second worm which he too. I am now NOT hand feeding or watering him. He is on his own. His limbs are still misshapen and he is unsteady, but his life is so much better then when he came to us laying on his side clutching is own twisted limbs.

He is definitely a special little guy in my crew and has a permanent place in the sun room for the rest of his life.

AWW well its good that he is getting better under your care. Is this the guy you raised and the previous owner didn't take good care of him?

He is under your care now and will receive the best from the best:)

Noami; What a wonderful story. I am so happy that Vinny has shown so much improvement. Thank you for helping him.

Kudos to you and everybody who knowingly and willingly takes on these "hard luck chams". Glad he's improving.

Thank you all for your support. I do believe that step one is to recognize the problem. How many times have we seen pics of chams here that have bent legs and folks insist they are under lights? Way too many. The poor things end up dead.

It takes a lot of work to bring one back from the brink. It is an hour by hour thing and may not work. I really didn't have any hope that Vinny was salvageable, but the starting point was to get him to the vet and get a shot of calcium. Then, bug juice for nutrition, a bit at a time several times a day, and water, water, water. Make sure you have the proper linear fixture that is good! No iffy ones. I kept Vinny in a white tub and tried to rest him on some branches (I used plastic). I gave him reptaid daily. He didn't stay on top of the branches but wanted to go underneath the branches. That lasted about 3-4 weeks. Little by little I adjusted his feeding and his habitat until we are where we are now. Love that little guy!

Here are pics I took this morning. Note his crooked casque and the worm guts on his chin! LOL That boy has no manners .

Attachments

• DSCN0106.jpg
    DSCN0106.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN0107.jpg
    DSCN0107.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN0108.jpg
    DSCN0108.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 242
That is such a heartwarming story! It's really wonderful to hear success stories for a change. I think he can be excused of his table manners after all he's been through - what a strong willed cham he is! Congrats on bringing him back and giving him a better life!:D

Does anyone know if he is mating material or does the MBD affect his genes. If he was a female I definitely would NOT ever mate but he has some striking colors.

Update - Vinny is now cruising his environment up and down and even tries to go across the top. Unfortunately his little crooked bones can't support his body upside down but he even tries to hang from the top. He is now eating and drinking entirely on his own and has a favorite drinking spot that he comes over to when he feels the water from the sprayer. YEAAAA VINNY

Since MBD is not something his babies would "catch" i think Vinnie would enjoy a visit with a lady. You can at least let him try and see how he feels about it. Both of you have did a great job, you and vinnie so he deserves a reward for his part in the recovery.:D:D:D:D jmo

This is why I love this forum! I can be having a really crappy day at work and log in here at lunch and the people, stories and pictures on here always put a smile on my face and warm my heart! You have done an amazing job with Vinny and I know without a doubt that under your care the little guy will continue to strive! And yes, I agree he needs a chance to meet a lady!! Keep up the great work!

That's great of you to get that guy feeling so much better.

As far as the female goes, just because he's a little crippled doesn't mean can't get his groove on! Give it a whirl.... couldn't hurt anything suppose & I bet he'd be one happy cham! :D

I literally have tears in my eyes, what a wonderful story. May the great cham spirit bless you and Vinny.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, Vinny is indeed a fighter. I have a quiet female that I introduced Vinny to over the weekend and they took an immediate liking to each other. It was romantic. They rubbed noses and sat next to each other for a long time. He had a hard time getting her in position since his back legs aren't very strong, but she was patient. I do believe they did the deed. I let them hang out all day since they were so sweet, not rambunctious like my other guys.

Another milestone for the "Man".

Back
Top Bottom