*update* chameleon not eating and burn on head

Raphael1047

Established Member
I posted about a week ago about my panther chameleon's burn and her eating.I just wanted to update everyone about her and i had a few questions.The burn is probably a infection but I have been putting antibiotics every day. She has started eating again but I don't know how much to feed a gravid chameleon.Also I have an egg laying bin, but she is not laying. I have the cage covered in paper for privacy. Another question if I am feeding her 3-4 crickets when she is not gravid how many cricket sized dubia roaches should i give her?How much do i give her when gravid? Here are some pictures of her.

Is that 4 large crickets a day?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I tend to think a pregnant female should be allowed to eat as much as she wants. Make sure to dust every single feeder with calcium (no D3). She needs all the calcium she can get.

Does she have easy access to the laying bin?

I agree with elizadolots, in that it only makes sense to me, to let her eat as much as she likes, so that the pull of nutrients from the egg formation does not take away from the nutrients her body needs otherwise.

Dubia are more meaty, even if the same size as a cricket. So theoretically, she should eat less dubia, than crickets.

so let her eat as much as she wants and she does have laying bin in her cage.i don't have any calcium without d3. i know that they could overdose, so do i need to get calcium without d3?

so let her eat as much as she wants and she does have laying bin in her cage.i don't have any calcium without d3. i know that they could overdose, so do i need to get calcium without d3?

YES!

The calcium is to balance the natural cal: phos ratio of the feeders. Without the right balance, the phosphorous will impede the absorption of the calcium.

Calcium, on every feeder :)

As Solid Snake says...YES!! Calcium without D3 is getting more common so you might be able to get it at a regular pet store. You can certainly get it at a store that specializes in reptiles. If you can't find it a good alternative is to grind up a cuttlebone. They are sold for birds. You can usually buy them at the grocery store, you can for sure get them at a WalMart of pet store. If you can use a coffee grinder, I'm sure you'll get a better result, but a food processor or blender will work...just get it as fine as you can.

**edited to add**

Calcium is doubly important for a pregnant female....she is making eggs and little babies....that's a calcium sucking project. I don't think you'd be out of line by giving her a liquid calcium supplement from now until a couple of weeks after she lays her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom